• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia and South Africa in West Indies ODI Tri-Series

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
South Africa has a lot of soul searching to do. They lose so many such games now. I don't know what's happened to them.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
SA's batting card reflects their problem accurately. All of top 5 are in double-digits, and all from 6 to 11 are in single digits. That is their problem; 6-11. Dean Elgar should bat at no. 6 in the next match.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
do we really need matthew wade?
Yes, so we can have delightful conversations like the one with Elliott.

His meme value is mint, shouldn't be overlooked since Nevill is so vanilla that he'd never sledge a person even if that person spat in his face.

Stefan9

International Debutant
The tail is a big problem for S.A.. don't think they can win any games chasing with that tail unless 2 of the top 4 get 100's.

StephenZA

SA's batting card reflects their problem accurately. All of top 5 are in double-digits, and all from 6 to 11 are in single digits. That is their problem; 6-11. Dean Elgar should bat at no. 6 in the next match.
Replacing Behardein, who, as has been discussed to death, is a hack but a hack that has been the most consistent middle lower order batsmen... Duminy is starting to show some form. For Elgar to play he must open or come in at 3, pushing either QDK to 6. or Faf to 5 with Duminy/Berhardien at 6.. QDK form is a big concern as well.. he is scoring 20s and not going on. .

But non-of this solves SA problem, which is that none of our best bowlers can bat (Parnell showing some form but nothing great)... so either we continue in our current fashion and hope for the top 6 to do 97% of the work or we gone in a first choice bowler short. We could maybe look at Morris in for Phangiso/Abbott, but Phangiso been bowling well on these slow pitches, Abbott has probably been our best containing fast bowler.

The point is their is nothing the selectors can do to improve the fact that none of our best bowlers can bat. We just don`t have a Shaun Pollock to play at 8 for us anymore.Our only solution to then is to drop Abbott, Phangiso for Morris and Elgar. and concede an extra 30-50 runs, taking less wickets.

As an aside maybe they need to look at moving AB to 3 and Faf to 4. The harder ball is much easier to score off, so lets have the most devastating batsmen face it...

Last edited:

StephenZA

Oh, yes. Well done to Aus for a good victory, Warner for a great hundred glad I saw that. And Starc was pretty impressive as always... (i am happy I decided to sleep rather stay up last night, though).

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, I assumed Morris isn't playing because he was injured. Get him in there ffs.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Wait, I assumed Morris isn't playing because he was injured. Get him in there ffs.
There was something about a slight strain but don`t think that it is anything major... he would replace Parnell who has bowled pretty well actually. Still does not solve problem of lower order batting...

Daemon

There was something about a slight strain but don`t think that it is anything major... he would replace Parnell who has bowled pretty well actually. Still does not solve problem of lower order batting...
He can replace Phangiso can't he? Great option in the death with the ball, good finisher. Fits right in.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Replacing Behardein, who, as has been discussed to death, is a hack but a hack that has been the most consistent middle lower order batsmen... Duminy is starting to show some form. For Elgar to play he must open or come in at 3, pushing either QDK to 6. or Faf to 5 with Duminy/Berhardien at 6.. QDK form is a big concern as well.. he is scoring 20s and not going on. .

But non-of this solves SA problem, which is that none of our best bowlers can bat (Parnell showing some form but nothing great)... so either we continue in our current fashion and hope for the top 6 to do 97% of the work or we gone in a first choice bowler short. We could maybe look at Morris in for Phangiso/Abbott, but Phangiso been bowling well on these slow pitches, Abbott has probably been our best containing fast bowler.

The point is their is nothing the selectors can do to improve the fact that none of our best bowlers can bat. We just don`t have a Shaun Pollock to play at 8 for us anymore.Our only solution to then is to drop Abbott, Phangiso for Morris and Elgar. and concede an extra 30-50 runs, taking less wickets.

As an aside maybe they need to look at moving AB to 3 and Faf to 4. The harder ball is much easier to score off, so lets have the most devastating batsmen face it...
Elgar has batted in the middle order for all his franchise sides in limited overs cricket. Did it for the eagles and the titans, opens in four day cricket but bats in the middle order in limited over cricket.
I would definitely get morris back in for either abbot or parnell.

Daemon

Also is Morkel injured? Can't find anything about it..

I know **** all about SA cricket but is he not the best quick they have?