• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
It is definitely hindsight; you just wish some was shown by the batsmen for their next innings. He was lucky not to go with that stodgy front foot defensive push at a back of a length delivery.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Nah BS, if your done shouldering arms from a nut that cuts back half a metre, no coach would blame you. But if you're out pushing wide at one possibly missing a 2nd set of stumps against the new ball on a green track, you deserve a bollocking.

It's about percentages.
Agreed. What concerns me about Guptill is that his game and technique just doesn't appear suited towards Test cricket.

He appears more than most to be a confidence player and I'd hate for his lack of Test form to affect his ODI game where he's one of our top players.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Nah BS, if your done shouldering arms from a nut that cuts back half a metre, no coach would blame you. But if you're out pushing wide at one possibly missing a 2nd set of stumps against the new ball on a green track, you deserve a bollocking.

It's about percentages.
I'm not saying it's logical or right, but it's undoubtedly a factor in any batsman's mind.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The best option is having Guptill nowhere near the test openers spot in anything but flat conditions (And I'm not sure you can pick and choose that way). There's just too many ways for him to be dismissed at test level when there's anything at all in it for good bowlers.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Such hard hands in defense. Just not good cricket. If you play Gup it has to be as a shock bash attacking opener because he just doesn't have it to be a traditional conventional player at the top of the order.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain

It's about percentages.
Guptill's gotten nervous being sent in and followed the swinging delivery wide, I agree you want someone who doesn't play away from the body. But he's more a one day type feeling bat on ball anyway

Zinzan

Agreed. What concerns me about Guptill is that his game and technique just doesn't appear suited towards Test cricket.

He appears more than most to be a confidence player and I'd hate for his lack of Test form to affect his ODI game where he's one of our top players.
Yeah, the problem he's almost 30 now. Technically and mentally speaking, it's difficult to think what's likely to change for him to go on to be anywhere near an effective test opener at this stage of his career.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
The best option is having Guptill nowhere near the test openers spot in anything but flat conditions (And I'm not sure you can pick and choose that way). There's just too many ways for him to be dismissed at test level when there's anything at all in it for good bowlers.
But then the logical question is - who is the replacement?

And nobody really comes to mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
These commentators don't know what the phrase left wing means. Second times they've used it incorrectly.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Yeah, the problem he's almost 30 now. Technically and mentally speaking, it's difficult to think what's likely to change for him to go on to be anywhere near an effective test opener at this stage of his career.
He just needs to take a leaf out of davey warner's book and back himself to go after it. Doesn't come off every time but heck it would probably work more often than poking at it outside off with hard hands.

Zinzan

But then the logical question is - who is the replacement?

And nobody really comes to mind.
Yup that's the other problem & I'm a bit out of touch of what's happening at FC level atm, although I've always thought Brownlie should concentrate on opening as he does seem to have ability against good pace bowling.