• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
By doing it off a second life.
Wasn't he in single figures when he got bowled off the non-no ball? So he still made 170 odd runs without getting out or even giving a chance.

I mean by all means stand or not stand as you see fit, you can boo for all I care, I just find your reasoning for thinking his innings wasn't worthy of praise really bizarre. He's an Australian wanker and I don't like him would make sense to me, but justifying it based on criticism of the quality of the performance doesn't. He was in complete control out there and never looked even remotely like getting out for a full three sessions of cricket. And if you think someone with a test average of 100 wouldn't have been able to score if the fielding positions were a bit different I think perhaps you overrate your ability to place fields, or underestimate Voges range of shots.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't he in single figures when he got bowled off the non-no ball? So he still made 170 odd runs without getting out or even giving a chance.

I mean by all means stand or not stand as you see fit, you can boo for all I care, I just find your reasoning for thinking his innings wasn't worthy of praise really bizarre. He's an Australian wanker and I don't like him would make sense to me, but justifying it based on criticism of the quality of the performance doesn't. He was in complete control out there and never looked even remotely like getting out for a full three sessions of cricket. And if you think someone with a test average of 100 wouldn't have been able to score if the fielding positions were a bit different I think perhaps you overrate your ability to place fields, or underestimate Voges range of shots.
OMG the rest of the post I was going to respond to calmly as there was some good points in there. But that bolded part. Let's pretty please with sugar on top not refer to him as having the skill of someone able to average 100 on a sustainable basis.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OMG the rest of the post I was going to respond to calmly as there was some good points in there. But that bolded part. Let's pretty please with sugar on top not refer to him as having the skill of someone able to average 100 on a sustainable basis.
I don't think that Voges > Bradman but he is a very good player i.e. 45+ test average batsman

He has never been a hack for whom some degree of test success is unfathomable

Bottom line is that if he gets in, he will score heavily and that's what happened today

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think that Voges > Bradman but he is a very good player i.e. 45+ test average batsman

He has never been a hack for whom some degree of test success is unfathomable

Bottom line is that if he gets in, he will score heavily and that's what happened today
I would have to work very hard to find anything to disagree with in your post.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there is anyone who could average 100 over a long period of time in all conditions, but he certainly does average 100 now and that obviously indicates he has made quite a few runs. It's not like people regularly come into test cricket and make sequences of unbeaten centuries. Basically I think he's a very capable test batsman, better than his FC record suggests at this point in his career and in good form, and to suggest that he is so "limited" that you can prevent him scoring with intelligent field placings, but McCullum sucks so instead he made 176* and batted all day is absurd.

Khawaja for instance I think looks really questionable against spin and there are a lot more legitimate concerns in my mind about his chances of long term success than there are about Voges. The only real question I have about Voges at this point is how long his career will last given he is in his mid 30s.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Right, so who turned the clock back to 2005?

Haven't watched a great deal but not entirely surprised at how things have shaped up. Khawaja is batting quite serenely and I actually rate Voges (for being an old fashioned accumulator, the kind who NZ could really do with).

NZ struggling on day one conditions is not new and the selected bowling attack is not at its sharpest (and therefore not quite the required ammo to hit back). Still, these two series against Aus have been quite the bitter pill so far.

Blanco

Cricket Spectator
You people are making it sound like Voges has been the only batsman who has gotten to face WI's and NZ's bowling in the last year or so.

If it really was that easy then the entire Australian batting lineup would be averaging 100+ for the last year or so. But they aren't. Only Voges is. Give the man some credit.
Last time I checked NZ at home were pretty formidable bowling unit, or are people changing their tune? Well done Voges.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there is anyone who could average 100 over a long period of time in all conditions, but he certainly does average 100 now and that obviously indicates he has made quite a few runs. It's not like people regularly come into test cricket and make sequences of unbeaten centuries. Basically I think he's a very capable test batsman, better than his FC record suggests at this point in his career and in good form, and to suggest that he is so "limited" that you can prevent him scoring with intelligent field placings, but McCullum sucks so instead he made 176* and batted all day is absurd.

Khawaja for instance I think looks really questionable against spin and there are a lot more legitimate concerns in my mind about his chances of long term success than there are about Voges. The only real question I have about Voges at this point is how long his career will last given he is in his mid 30s.
The bolded part may make common sense but that doesn't make it the truth. In fact the only way the bolded part stacks up is that it makes common sense.

Common sense and the truth are not related.

For example Kane Williamson is a better batsman in my mind that Adam Voges is or will ever be. Australia through field placings alone have been causing Kane grief and contributing to some of his dismissals.

Australia have a better think tank at cricket than we do. When it comes to rugby NZ is the best team at the world at strategizing. At cricket our analysis skills are weak when compared to the top teams in the world such as Australia. I think our Video analyst in particular is the worst on the international circuit and much comes down to Hesson and Baz having a beer and figuring out how to counter each player.

I don't know if it was apparent on TV - but it was shakingly apparent to me at the game that we have no clue how to get Adam Voges out. There was no plan to him. And there was never at any stage at an attempt to implement a plan to him.

tl;dr version of this post. Yes fielding settings would have worked on him because your field settings have worked on Kane to a degree.

cnerd123

likes this
The bolded part may make common sense but that doesn't make it the truth. In fact the only way the bolded part stacks up is that it makes common sense.

For example Kane Williamson is a better batsman in my mind that Adam Voges is or will ever be. Australia through field placings alone have been causing Kane grief and contributing to some of his dismissals.

Australia have a better think tank at cricket than we do. When it comes to rugby NZ is the best team at the world at strategizing. At cricket our analysis skills are weak when compared to the top teams in the world such as Australia. I think our Video analyst in particular is the worst on the international circuit and much comes down to Hesson and Baz having a beer and figuring out how to counter each player.

I don't know if it was apparent on TV - but it was shakingly apparent to me at the game that we have no clue how to get Adam Voges out. There was no plan to him. And there was never at any stage at an attempt to implement a plan to him.

tl;dr version of this post. Yes fielding settings would have worked on him because your field settings have worked on Kane to a degree.
This sort of stubborn refusal to accept that someone you once did not rate may actually be better than you think, and the desire to preciously hold on to that belief in the face of overwhelming evidence is remarkable. You're going as far as to claim all McCullum and Hesson do is 'have a beer' before the game. You're going out of your way to justify Voges' performances, instead of just conceding you are wrong and that he is a better batsman than you thought he was. FFS you wouldn't even applaud him after he ground NZ into dust by batting the entire day and almost single-handedly outscoring the entire opposition lineup.

This sort of stubborness is only evident in children, or people so old they are set in their ways. You should be at neither extreme. It's remarkable.

social

Totally agree about Khawaja

IMO, it all looks so easy atm that it's hard to forget that he is 29

It's all a bit "no foot movement, flip hands at it and 4."

Maybe I'd have a different opinion if he was 22 and born in Bangalore or Trinidad but it really appears a bit surreal atm

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This sort of stubborn refusal to accept that someone you once did not rate may actually be better than you think, and the desire to preciously hold on to that belief in the face of overwhelming evidence is remarkable. You're going as far as to claim all McCullum and Hesson do is 'have a beer' before the game. You're going out of your way to justify Voges' performances, instead of just conceding you are wrong and that he is a better batsman than you thought he was. FFS you wouldn't even applaud him after he ground NZ into dust by batting the entire day and almost single-handedly outscoring the entire opposition lineup.

This sort of stubborness is only evident in children, or people so old they are set in their ways. You should be at neither extreme. It's remarkable.
Maybe you thought I was kidding. I wasn't. Let me be more clear. I think you are the best poster on this site, and possibly the best poster I have come across on the interweb for discussing and analysing spin bowling. The rest of your analysis skills to do with anything at all relating to batting or bowling are weak and your posts belong in the IPL threads or the coaching and equipment forum.

At this point I think you are just trying to troll me into having a spat with you. You aren't worth it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Maybe you thought I was kidding. I wasn't. Let me be more clear. I think you are the best poster on this site, and possibly the best poster I have come across on the interweb for discussing and analysing spin bowling. The rest of your analysis skills to do with anything at all relating to batting or bowling are weak and your posts belong in the IPL threads or the coaching and equipment forum.

At this point I think you are just trying to troll me into having a spat with you. You aren't worth it.
Will need the expertise of ***** to analyse the amount of turn in this post.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Some extremely bizarre "logic" in this post

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I really like Khawaja and want him to do well as much as I've wanted an Australian batsman to do well individually in a while. And I think he's done enough at this point to show it's not just a fluke and he's really good. But I think he looks pretty dodgy against spin and can't really imagine him doing well on a turning wicket. We'll see though. The 29 thing isn't a huge deal as he could still easily have a long and significant career.

I also think having a glaring weakness doesn't necessarily mean a player can't be a great test batsman either, I'd take someone who was a huge accumulator of runs in other conditions but struggled on a turner or a seamer or whatever any day over someone who was good in all conditions but averaged 39.

Last edited:

Gnske

Yeah he could still have a career like Marto's really (reckon he'll end up with similar stats anyway)

He'll be great service for years to come

cnerd123

likes this

Yea see here's the thing 'Cane, no one gives a **** what you think.

You're a stubborn lonely 40 year old man who refuses to face reality and accept the world the way it is. You live in your head justifying flawed theories with poor evidence, stubbornly clinging onto what you believe because your ego won't let you accept the fact that maybe, just maybe, you could be wrong. You come on here, make bold statements, usually with next to nothing to back it up, and then refuse to engage meaningfully with anyone who disagrees. And when proven to be comprehensively wrong, you climb onto your high horse and ride off in the sunset.

You know why you do this? Because accepting that you are wrong would require you to put you ego aside. And your ego is much to large to be shifted. No only that, but it would require you to change the way you see the world. And that's much too large a challenge for your feeble mind to cope with.

So instead, when you are called out for being wrong, you decide that the poster who does so is beneath you and refuse to engage. Literally based on nothing else except them challenging your precious beliefs. You refuse to discus with them. Because you cannot be proven wrong if you refuse to talk to that person to begin with. You can't lose if you don't engage. And if you aren't proven wrong, then you don't have to change your world view.

You can continue to live in your bubble, believing what you want to believe, your ego and feeble mind intact.

You're just sad, pathetic, and frankly a waste of my time.

Thanks for the compliment regarding spin bowling; but I don't consider myself much of an expert in that regard. Unlike you, I do think there is more I can learn about the world and an open to do so. I'm not a awkward 40 year old who has nothing else going on for him and so stubbornly holds onto what little I have left and refuse to let it go. I place no stake in being right and don't care if I'm wrong. My ego isn't that fragile.

And I can't be ****ed trolling somebody like you into having a spat with me. Your posts are already hopelessly pathetic in their own right; I don't need to troll you in order to have a laugh.

Last edited: