• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I also noticed that in this match Anderson bowled a spell where his average ball was 139kmh. At that speed he was still pretty accurate, so I wonder if we'll see more of that.
That's his usual pace at full fitness, but in his comeback from injury he's been bowling well within himself. It's wonderful to see, because when he's bowling with that pace he's a genuine allrounder in ODI cricket, and it means we can afford to carry his batting a bit more when he's underperforming as he has in this series.

91Jmay

International Coach
I do think Maxwell is a spot to high on pitches which offer something. Just far to high a chance that you got 3 down to 4 down in a hurry for him to bat there all the time. Promote him if they get off to a flier, sure but in that situation I'd have Marsh in ahead of him.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can understand that in that situation you'd feel hard done by, definitely. But I also understand that a guy was caught, and it was given, therefore no great injustice has been done. It's harder to take when an actual injustice such as a edge behind not given ala the Anderson not out in the 3rd Pakistan ODI
I think the problem which needs to be addressed is the showing of the replay on the big screen. Nothing wrong with the appeal as such, or in the umpire referring it. I think the problem is the referral comes after its shown on the screen, the crowd reacts and the fielding captain talks with the umpire about it (which you can't blame him for doing btw). If they don't get a replay up fast enough, it's likely play on - there was no inclination to send that upstairs before the replay was shown. I wouldn't want to get to a situation where decisions in a game are reliant upon whether the host broadcaster gets a replay fed through to the electronic scoreboard before the next ball is bowled.

Spark

Global Moderator
I do think Maxwell is a spot to high on pitches which offer something. Just far to high a chance that you got 3 down to 4 down in a hurry for him to bat there all the time. Promote him if they get off to a flier, sure but in that situation I'd have Marsh in ahead of him.
I think the way Maxwell's style looks aesthetically doesn't help him in that regard tbh; the fact that he gets so much of his shotmaking power from that wrist snap at the end sometimes means he can look like he's just waving the bat half-heartedly at the ball rather than playing a full-blooded shot, which looks terrible.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Except that it's a song about a bored housewife who convinces herself she can't do any better than her dead beat husband...
We used to sit outside the 24-hour dairy in studentville in Dunedin at 3am, singing that to girls who rocked up with average-looking blokes. Looking back, we probably should have realised the irony of us sitting there singing that song before heading home to an empty bed.

Spark

Global Moderator
This was exactly the sort of game where we really, really miss Clarke btw. Many, many games where in situations exactly like these (chases which in practice really should be achieved but look a bit tricky and wobbly) he'd just drop anchor, make a really boring but ruthlessly effective 60(80) or so and kill off the game as a contest (and a spectacle).

vcs

What a fitting way for McCullum to go out as well. Champ. Hope he plays a couple of trademark counterattacking knocks in the Tests as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If for a moment you forget that our reserve Test bat is Shaun Marsh, the way he has been handled this tour has been puzzling. So Cricket Australia decide to play a Shield game in NZ to give many hopefuls a chance to play in the country where the upcoming Test matches are being played. Shaun Marsh has the opportunity to get stuck in, get used to conditions and then potentially rejoin the ODI squad to get another game if required. Instead he plays the opening ODI and makes 5 (8) when the Shield is on and then sits on the sidelines.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I think the problem which needs to be addressed is the showing of the replay on the big screen. Nothing wrong with the appeal as such, or in the umpire referring it. I think the problem is the referral comes after its shown on the screen, the crowd reacts and the fielding captain talks with the umpire about it (which you can't blame him for doing btw). If they don't get a replay up fast enough, it's likely play on - there was no inclination to send that upstairs before the replay was shown. I wouldn't want to get to a situation where decisions in a game are reliant upon whether the host broadcaster gets a replay fed through to the electronic scoreboard before the next ball is bowled.
Instead we have a situation where we accept human error will inevitably result in a number of incorrect decisions each game. The umpires should be able to check the replays themselves.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
This was exactly the sort of game where we really, really miss Clarke btw. Many, many games where in situations exactly like these (chases which in practice really should be achieved but look a bit tricky and wobbly) he'd just drop anchor, make a really boring but ruthlessly effective 60(80) or so and kill off the game as a contest (and a spectacle).
Yes, even in the World Cup final chasing a small score there was a risk Australia's lower order could fold, but not while Clarke was there (and Smith).

Spark

Global Moderator
Yes, even in the World Cup final chasing a small score there was a risk Australia's lower order could fold, but not while Clarke was there (and Smith).
I think I said during that game that Clarke was playing basically the quintessential Clarke ODI innings, before the flurry of boundaries at the end which pushed up his SR.

Burgey

Instead we have a situation where we accept human error will inevitably result in a number of incorrect decisions each game. The umpires should be able to check the replays themselves.
Yeah, as much as the slow down in play will annoy me, I'm really beginning to think we just need to let the umpires review what they want to review. I remember the Aus-World XI series in 2005, and it was dire. The thing is, blokes can lose their careers with these sorts of things.

91Jmay

International Coach
I think the way Maxwell's style looks aesthetically doesn't help him in that regard tbh; the fact that he gets so much of his shotmaking power from that wrist snap at the end sometimes means he can look like he's just waving the bat half-heartedly at the ball rather than playing a full-blooded shot, which looks terrible.
Yeah, I just don't think he is adaptable enough (a criticism I'd level at most of Aus team, which is why I agree with your comment about missing Clarke) to bat that high all the time.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
With the last Test and ODI series between these two sides hinging heavily on an umpire's decision, I reckon there's a chance for some genuine spite in this Test series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I just don't think he is adaptable enough (a criticism I'd level at most of Aus team, which is why I agree with your comment about missing Clarke) to bat that high all the time.
Our entire ODI pool of batsmen is oddly imbalanced right now. A lot of openers/top three bats, a lot of lower order finishers/allrounders, not that many really good middle order bats who are known to be able to play that sort of Clarke/Hussey role. Plenty of hitters, not quite enough batsmen. It's why I find it genuinely hard to come up with a convincing replacement for Bailey or even Maxwell to play a similar role (Lynn is the first name that comes to mind, I guess)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
With the last Test and ODI series between these two sides hinging heavily on an umpire's decision, I reckon there's a chance for some genuine spite in this Test series.
Maybe. There's a bit of a waah here already:

The simmering tension between Australia and New Zealand boiled over after the controversial dismissal of Mitchell Marsh sealed a rare one-day series loss for the world champions and sewed the seeds for a fiery Test battle.

But McCullum's ODI swansong will be remembered for the bizarre wicket of Marsh, which will further raise doubt in the Australian dressing room over the Black Caps' status as the modern day torchbearers for sportsmanship.

The Australians have been unhappy at how McCullum's Black Caps have been perceived as cleanskins and Monday night's events will not change a thing.

A consolatory tap from McCullum as Marsh left the field failed to satisfy the batsman, who yelled "f****** bull****" as he left the ground.

There was also a heated exchange between Matthew Wade and Grant Elliott.
Being such good guys NZ will likely greet the Australians with bunches of flowers and back-rubs on Friday, so Smith need not be concerned.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's why I find it genuinely hard to come up with a convincing replacement for Bailey or even Maxwell to play a similar role (Lynn is the first name that comes to mind, I guess)
I think the best option is for Smith to drop down to four and Khawaja to bat three. If Finch stops hacking ODI runs then there are plenty of other opening options to consider.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, as much as the slow down in play will annoy me, I'm really beginning to think we just need to let the umpires review what they want to review. I remember the Aus-World XI series in 2005, and it was dire. The thing is, blokes can lose their careers with these sorts of things.
Yep this series has convinced me that the way ahead is to allow the on-field umpires to refer when they're not sure. And if they make a mistake and fire a batsmen, then the 3rd umpire should be able to step in and notify them that an error has occured and overturn the original decision. DRS is better than nothing, but it's still not enough as we've seen here.