• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand 2016

Spark

Global Moderator
Like surely he must have misspoken? If the ball is only dead when the bowler starts his run-up i.e. the ball is immediately back in play for the next delivery then it calls into question whether "dead ball" is even a meaningful concept.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Andrew Ramsey @ARamseyCricket
Match ref told Smith ball not dead til bowler begins run-up. But Smith believes incident shouldn't be up on screen while appeal still live

Okay that is straight-up bull****
That is bull****. So a wicketkeeper can run a batsman out at any time? Just wait until they wander off gardening? Horse **** explanation. And Smith is probably right.

End of the day, I don't care because the right decision was made. That wasn't the norm this series, nor our hosting of Pakistan.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Here's a weird thought to start off with, maybe NZ has pretty good ODI bowlers.
Even so, you'd back most good batting sides to chase 240 down 99/100 times.

I bet even you gave us no chance of defending this.

Last edited:

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
The best thing to come out of this is the Aussies haven't taken the loss well.

Hopefully this will revive the rivalry between the two and get CA thinking of playing more series.

Don't mind looking like a moron as long as long as the wins keep coming.

I'll continue doing my part during the Test series.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
That is bull****. So a wicketkeeper can run a batsman out at any time? Just wait until they wander off gardening? Horse **** explanation. And Smith is probably right.

End of the day, I don't care because the right decision was made. That wasn't the norm this series, nor our hosting of Pakistan.
Yeah in the end this was a manifestly more just outcome than what happened to Milne or indeed Warner in the other game, but you can understand if the Aus players have a pretty sour taste in their mouths over the way it happened. Particularly given that it was the dismissal that decisively turned the match on its head.

---

Incidentally, MMarsh being in nick immediately makes the whole Test side look so much better balanced.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Even so, you'd back most good batting sides to chase 240 down 99/100 times.

I bet even you gave us no chance of defending this.
Nah, I gave us a chance - a small one, but as KV said, given the Australian top order had collapsed dramatically twice already in this series, there was always a chance that 250 would be enough.

I'm gonna go over the top for a second and say that Henry is up there with any odi quick not named Starc. Sensational comeback tonight after Warner got on top of him early.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The best thing to come out of this is the Aussies haven't taken the loss well.

Hopefully this will revive the rivalry between the two and get CA thinking of playing more series.
Yeah, I hope we're seen as drawcards over there. We are the second best ODI side in the world. Obviously for momentum's sake we need to do well in the 2 Tests as well.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Nah, I gave us a chance - a small one, but as KV said, given the Australian top order had collapsed dramatically twice already in this series, there was always a chance that 250 would be enough.

I'm gonna go over the top for a second and say that Henry is up there with any odi quick not named Starc. Sensational comeback tonight after Warner got on top of him early.
I'm surprised Smith didn't manage to perform in a single match this series, I was certain he'd score today. It also doesn't help when your inform batsmen throws his wicket away (Khawaja).

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to draw anything from one game but I wonder if this will be a turning point for Milne. Finally saw him use his pace to rough up someone.

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Marsh apparently mouthed off "fking BS" in McCullum direction as he walked off.

Last edited:

vandem

International 12th Man
Like surely he must have misspoken? If the ball is only dead when the bowler starts his run-up i.e. the ball is immediately back in play for the next delivery then it calls into question whether "dead ball" is even a meaningful concept.
Probably mis-quoted.

Excerpt from Law 27:

"For an appeal to be valid, it must be made before the bowler begins his run up or, if he has no run up, his bowling action to deliver the next ball, and before Time has been called.
The call of Over does not invalidate an appeal made prior to the start of the following over, provided Time has not been called."

The only issue in the Marsh incident was whether the umpire has already said "not out" or made an indication of not out (by shaking the head) before the replay was shown on the screen and the conversation with BMac and the bowler. I didn't see any not out decision, but TV replay didn't stay long enough on the angle with the umpire in it.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah in the end this was a manifestly more just outcome than what happened to Milne or indeed Warner in the other game, but you can understand if the Aus players have a pretty sour taste in their mouths over the way it happened. Particularly given that it was the dismissal that decisively turned the match on its head.
I can understand that in that situation you'd feel hard done by, definitely. But I also understand that a guy was caught, and it was given, therefore no great injustice has been done. It's harder to take when an actual injustice such as a edge behind not given ala the Anderson not out in the 3rd Pakistan ODI

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Probably mis-quoted.

Excerpt from Law 27:

"For an appeal to be valid, it must be made before the bowler begins his run up or, if he has no run up, his bowling action to deliver the next ball, and before Time has been called.
The call of Over does not invalidate an appeal made prior to the start of the following over, provided Time has not been called."

The only issue in the Marsh incident was whether the umpire has already said "not out" or made an indication of not out (by shaking the head) before the replay was shown on the screen and the conversation with BMac and the bowler.
I'm surprised the umpire didn't check it in the first place. They check everything, even clear cut run outs.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
The Aussie top order is heavily dependent on Warner. In all three matches the fortunes of the Aussie batting related directly to how well Warner did. If you can get Warner early the Smith-Bailey-Maxwell middle order is actually pretty weak. Maxwell is destructive but if you can get him in before over 35 he's no good. They probably have the best tail from 8 down in world cricket but that's seldom going to win you games.

I feel that Warner is definitely the big wicket in the Test series as well.

I also noticed that in this match Anderson bowled a spell where his average ball was 139kmh. At that speed he was still pretty accurate, so I wonder if we'll see more of that.

Spark

Global Moderator
I can understand that in that situation you'd feel hard done by, definitely. But I also understand that a guy was caught, and it was given, therefore no great injustice has been done. It's harder to take when an actual injustice such as a edge behind not given ala the Anderson not out in the 3rd Pakistan ODI
Yeah I agree. You'd feel ****, but in the end you can't really complain either.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Aussie top order is heavily dependent on Warner. In all three matches the fortunes of the Aussie batting related directly to how well Warner did. If you can get Warner early the Smith-Bailey-Maxwell middle order is actually pretty weak.
:laugh: Come on man. Talk about reading way too much into three games. If all your simulations taught you anything practical, it should have been that variance is a thing.