• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand - T20/ODI series - Jan 2016

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
:laugh: Apparently the stadium announcer in Wellington played the sound of a cash register opening when Amir ran in to bowl

Skyliner

International 12th Man
I've never heard anything so absurd.....now spectators are going to be barred from yelling stuff at players. The reaction towards David Warner after he was given out lbw in the WC game at Eden Park.....I was there and it was just a solid wall of noise, mass derision, every insult under the sun.
Let's muzzle & straight-jacket spectators as they go in the gate.
It's ok for the Barmy Army to sing the below song en masse, but someone can't yell out "I've got a dollar for ya" or wave a handful of cash around. Also Sri Lankan fans turfed out by police for banging a drum. Just another reason not to go to the game, aside from high ticket prices, $8.50 hot dogs, parking issues et al - now you can't express your feelings anymore.

Mark Waugh is an Aussie
He wore the baggy cap
When he saw the bookies cash
He said, "I'm having that!"
He split it up with Warney
They went and had some beers
And when the ACB found out
They covered it up for years

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This photo posted earlier today looks a bit more promising - seems like it's drained remarkably well. Hopefully the rain stays away and we can get underway.

EDIT: Actually, apparently there's drizzle now. Curses.

Last edited:

Blain

U19 Captain
Waddles on radiosport just now saying it has been raining since 9am, after looking promising (picture above). Forecast is for afternoon rain, clearing evening. So might get a 20/20 match if we're lucky..

Meridio

International Regular
FFS, stupid weather. I've just had a second monitor delivered so I can have the cricket on in the background while doing my work, without having to constantly flick backwards and forwards. Sort your **** out, Napier, you supposed city of sunshine.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ronchi set to regain his spot against the Aussies. He's becoming the Hamish Marshall of this era:
Luke Ronchi gets coach's backing as McClenaghan ruled out for Australia series | Stuff.co.nz

Would really like to see Watling in the squad for the Australia ODI's, if only to get some practice against them before the tests.
In all fairness, who is knocking the door down? BJ hasn't taken his chances recently in List A cricket and his form across all formats isn't flash either. We have a top order and he's not a number 6/7 in the essence of what the ODI game requires now. And there's not a domestic keeper anywhere in the frame. Not even a 'yeah let's give him a go on a hunch' type move.

No doubt Ronchi deserves to be in the selectorial cross hairs but the fact there's no competition means the trigger hasn't been pulled yet. His record since the 170 is absolutely horrendous, I'll grant you that. Maybe that's what you mean with Marshall, that he's being kept in the side with horrible form for lack of alternatives.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
In all fairness, who is knocking the door down? BJ hasn't taken his chances recently in List A cricket and his form across all formats isn't flash either. We have a top order and he's not a number 6/7 in the essence of what the ODI game requires now. And there's not a domestic keeper anywhere in the frame. Not even a 'yeah let's give him a go on a hunch' type move.

No doubt Ronchi deserves to be in the selectorial cross hairs but the fact there's no competition means the trigger hasn't been pulled yet. His record since the 170 is absolutely horrendous, I'll grant you that. Maybe that's what you mean with Marshall, that he's being kept in the side with horrible form for lack of alternatives.
With Watling, at worst you'll get a bit more out of him than Ronchi of late, and at best a player who knows how to adapt to the format well. His Ford Trophy stats read 205 runs at 34.16 and SR of 85, not world-beating but they do indicate he isn't in terrible nick either.

Also, Elliott is almost 37 and assuming he has a year or so left in the game, Watling would be a good candidate to fill his spot. If he also takes the gloves, it frees up a spot for another allrounder or extra bowler.

Look, I like the idea of Ronchi being in the side as an explosive no.7 but it hasn't been working out for a long while now. Not just the lack of runs, it's the manner of dismissals. The Marshall comparison was in terms of the amount of rope given to him. Fine, no one else is knocking the door down, but I'd like to believe that Watling, de Boorder or Latham as keeper are in consideration at the very least.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
With Watling, at worst you'll get a bit more out of him than Ronchi of late, and at best a player who knows how to adapt to the format well. His Ford Trophy stats read 205 runs at 34.16 and SR of 85, not world-beating but they do indicate he isn't in terrible nick either.

Also, Elliott is almost 37 and assuming he has a year or so left in the game, Watling would be a good candidate to fill his spot. If he also takes the gloves, it frees up a spot for another allrounder or extra bowler.

Look, I like the idea of Ronchi being in the side as an explosive no.7 but it hasn't been working out for a long while now. Not just the lack of runs, it's the manner of dismissals. The Marshall comparison was in terms of the amount of rope given to him. Fine, no one else is knocking the door down, but I'd like to believe that Watling, de Boorder or Latham as keeper are in consideration at the very least.
Not sure you would get more out of him. An SR of 85 v threadbare domestic attacks doesn't cut it. Even when he was putting up numbers in ODIs, it was opening and scoring at much less than a run a ball. There's no place for him in the top order. And there's no place for a middle order batsman who can't strike at 100. That's never been his game and it never will be. Elliott changed his game at 34 and became one of the canniest hitters and strike rotators in world cricket. BJ hasn't shown that.

The most plausible idea is to give Latham the gloves, opening up a spot at 7 for someone like a Munro, or a Neesham etc until there is a genuine wicketkeeping option who is scoring a weight of runs and quickly at domestic level. That's as long as the powers that be, including Tom, deem that taking the gloves in ODIs doesn't affect his Test game. De Boorder has not threatened higher honours for a long time. And the rest of the pack are inconsistent operators, but who knows - may be ready in time. Not now.

Again, totally agreed on Ronchi. The way he consistently holes out trying to access the leg side is abysmal. But I like the 'if it's broke, only fix it if you have something stronger' approach. It breeds solidarity and trust in a unit.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
But we DO know how good Watling can be at ODI level.

We know because he was our best ODI bat at the time he was dropped.

Hyperbole, sure, but he absolutely can fill that Grant Elliott role at 5. Sure, Grunter added some t20 slogging ability late in his career, but you'd back Watling to do the same if asked as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
But we DO know how good Watling can be at ODI level.

We know because he was our best ODI bat at the time he was dropped.

Hyperbole, sure, but
he absolutely can fill that Grant Elliott role at 5. Sure, Grunter added some t20 slogging ability late in his career, but you'd back Watling to do the same if asked as well.
If you realise that this is a ridiculous thing to say then why even say it? This post would've been just so much better if you'd simply cut out the bolded bit.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If you realise that this is a ridiculous thing to say then why even say it? This post would've been just so much better if you'd simply cut out the bolded bit.
Because at the time he was dropped he had actually been our most consistent ODI bat. IIRC a few senior players were out injured and/or not performing and he was doing a pretty good job.

He wasn't our best but he was performing better than anyone else at that time. The fact that the bar was extremely low is why I deemed the point hyperbole - not because it was untrue but because it wasn't really a fair representation.

Last edited: