• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's really a poor indicator of quality (catches-per-match), he plays for annoyingly the best County by miles, of course he gets more catches. In the end also just saying "someone else improved, so Bairstow will" as Furball seems to be doing is just silly. He4's shown no signs of improvement for how many years now? Jos' 'keeping has improved much more.

Anyway, just one more innings of Hales to put up with in Tests.
This is Bairstow's first run in the side as a keeper though. I wouldn't have expected him to have worked too hard on his keeping previously because he was in as a batsman.

My point is that I'm not overly concerned about him being a bit **** with the gloves just now because there's scope for improvement. If he's still shelling catches in a year's time then I'd be worried.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Funny that all of this is being discussed when Hales has out scored Cook in the series so far.
Cook's got the small matter of nearly 10,000 runs behind him.

Good thing about England's schedule is that Hales should get a decent chunk of First Class cricket before the next game. If he goes back to Notts, works on things and scores runs I don't see why he shouldn't still be in the side when Sri Lanka visit.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cook is so boring to watch. Never had such an issue with Dravid as his defense and shots looked so cool. Had a bit of loop in his defence as well. Cook meanwhile just puts me to sleep.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Cook is so boring to watch. Never had such an issue with Dravid as his defense and shots looked so cool. Had a bit of loop in his defence as well. Cook meanwhile just puts me to sleep.
Indeed. A Cook/Compton partnership is not something you'd pay to watch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Having James Taylor at 3 will be a terrible terrible move. He's your best batsman against spin, and not one of your best 5 batsmen against pace. You just don't have someone like that at 3. He's the last England batsman I'll try at 3.
I agree. He's not a number 3 whatsoever.

KP isn't either.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't want to be accused of being Gaylesque, but there really are some attractive ladies at this ground
Its known as subjective camera work... its amazing how only the attractive woman and amusing men(normally quite large) get the most camera time.

Compton

International Debutant
Given Bayliss didn't fancy Compton at 3 because he likes two aggressors in his top 3, I don't think he'll fancy Cook-Compton-Ballance.

Stapel

International Regular
Its known as subjective camera work... its amazing how only the attractive woman and amusing men(normally quite large) get the most camera time.
Indeed. The big difference between Roland Garros & Wimbledon. French camera men zooming in at the hotties, English camera men zooming at old ladies eating strawberries.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Knowing he has Root, Stokes and Bairstow below may mean he accepts it though. Interesting decisions ahead.
With Ali and Broad not exactly slow-coaches too. It really shouldn't be a problem and I was disappointed in Bayliss saying it.

BTW Cook now not having a worse series than Hales, so we can put that to bed.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
Typical centurion dismissal that one from compton. Maybe a bit early in the match but you gets lots of those here.