• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Stapel

International Regular
Hales has decided that he isn't good enough for test cricket, and will just play an ODI instead.
Part of me thinks it's simply wrong to give any new batsman just the 4 tests and dump him, no matter how dire. But Hales is indeed showing he does have what it takes a Test opener:
-A waft ourtside off. Bad!
-Caught at long on. Bad!
-A snick to slip. I guess not the worst way to get out.
-Playing a foot away from his body, edging to the slips. Bad!
-Driving without use of the feet, edged. Bad!
-Missing out on the sweep. Bad! I guess going out that way wasn't too bad, given the meagre target. But Hales had a point to prove. And that point was not a high strike rate. But staying there until the end.
-And just now, again, I felt that wasn't really the right thing to do.

It's not his average, but the way he gets himself out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You move Compton up. Put Taylor at 3.
Id probably do this and bring Jos back in, put JB at 5. But Taylor at 3 against Amir doesn't fill me with confidence so I dunno. Just feels like we have a lot of middle order bats at the minute but nobody really geared up for partnering Cook/batting 3.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Though I do not disagree, I find it hard to say what is a good indicator.
Not statistics.. better way is to actually see games and how one collects the balls, doesn't fumble or drop too many catches, is comfortable keeping upto the stumps and when standing back. Usually if one observes a keeper through a few games, one can get a bit of an idea about him, just like a batsman or a bowler. More than looking good, one has to keep an eye out for effectiveness though.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Id probably do this and bring Jos back in, put JB at 5. But Taylor at 3 against Amir doesn't fill me with confidence so I dunno. Just feels like we have a lot of middle order bats at the minute but nobody really geared up for partnering Cook/batting 3.
Jos isn't a good enough test batsmen at the moment.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jos isn't a good enough test batsmen at the moment.
No, agreed that he hasn't been so would need some FC runs in April beforehand. In desperate for him to crack it in that format though so that plays a part in me saying it, admittedly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Taylor will be a terrible 3. All of Bell, Pietersen, Root and Ballance are better options at 3....and maybe even Bairstow if he's not keeping
Yeah KP showed us loads of times how good he is at 3

You know. Given he batted there fewer times than luminaries like Hoggard and Anderson

Stapel

International Regular
Not statistics.. better way is to actually see games and how one collects the balls, doesn't fumble or drop too many catches, is comfortable keeping upto the stumps and when standing back. Usually if one observes a keeper through a few games, one can get a but if an idea about him, just like a batsman or a bowler. More than looking good, one has to keep an eye out for effectiveness though.
And if we do so, do we conclude that Jos is better than Jonny? Based on what I have seen in Testst so far, I would pick Jonny.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah KP showed us loads of times how good he is at 3

You know. Given he batted there fewer times than luminaries like Hoggard and Anderson
Having James Taylor at 3 will be a terrible terrible move. He's your best batsman against spin, and not one of your best 5 batsmen against pace. You just don't have someone like that at 3. He's the last England batsman I'll try at 3.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah I wouldn't pick Taylor at 3. Ballance will probably score loads and get in with Compton going up order.

Stapel

International Regular
Funny that all of this is being discussed when Hales has out scored Cook in the series so far.
That's why I think it's wrong to dump a batsman after just the 4 Tests.

Cook has indeed been tripe with the bat this series. But he can have a whole summer and winter to come of rotten bat handling, before anyone should doubt his place. A luxuary that Hales simply has not.