• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Baz
Marty G
Kane
Rossco
Nicholls
Santner
Ronchi
Bracewell
Milne
2 of Sodhi/Henry/McClenaghan

For the first 2 ODIs I would think until Southee and Boult are back

vandem

International 12th Man
I'd be interested to see Ronchi at #5. He's good enough to play 50 - 80 ball innings if necessary. Would take the pressure off Nicholls / Santner.

But don't think it will happen. Assume Nichols and Worker will share #5 slot while we wait for Elliott to return.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Im a little bit nervous that our batting lineup is to top heavy like it was when ross was captain. With brendon going ballistic at the top we need someone at 5 who can control the innings if we are 50/3.
I would argue that person is BJ Watling, but it looks like Santner and Worker will have that role.
Problem with be solved if Tom Latham opened and Baz went back to 5.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Henry Nicolls has been named in the ODI team apparently. He's the only uncapped player. Santner and Sodhi the spin options and no Neesham or Anderson. Somehow Ronchi is still there....
Who else would keep? Latham? Tim Seifert?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Why can't Santner just play instead of Craig though
It's all well and good playing Santner ahead of Craig, especially in NZ conditions doing a holding job with the ball in the main part on decently seamer-friendly decks. The job he did in Dunedin was absolutely fine (with the ball) and probably something Mark wouldn't have. So if he gets picked ongoing, that's fine with me. He proved me wrong in Adelaide especially with strength of character and mentality, even though he's not a Test #6 nor a Test quality spinner.

However, if we pick him, there's to be no sooking if we get on a ragging 5th (or 1st if Nagpur is to be considered) day pitch and Santner can't knock them over. That's not who he is at the moment. He's an ideal foil for the seamers in holding up an end, maybe getting 1-2 with pressure to allow the bowlers a lesser work load.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
And while I'm on a posting binge, just watching the highlights...was there conjecture around the full toss Wagner LBW overturned? I know Ian Taylor will clutch his doctorate and tell me I'm a thicko throwing accusations from my uneducated position on the couch, but bull**** that ball was following the line it showed on DRS. Absolutely no way

vandem

International 12th Man
Who else would keep? Latham? Tim Seifert?
Good question about ODI / T20 keeper after Ronchi's form slips or he retires.

Do we need a couple of years from de Boorder until Siefert is ready? Do we use Watling in the #5 Elliott nurdling role which leaves space at #6 (and #7?) for hitters (Munro / Anderson etc).

Latham is too important as a test opener to be messed around with short form keeper roles.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's all well and good playing Santner ahead of Craig, especially in NZ conditions doing a holding job with the ball in the main part on decently seamer-friendly decks. The job he did in Dunedin was absolutely fine (with the ball) and probably something Mark wouldn't have. So if he gets picked ongoing, that's fine with me. He proved me wrong in Adelaide especially with strength of character and mentality, even though he's not a Test #6 nor a Test quality spinner.

However, if we pick him, there's to be no sooking if we get on a ragging 5th (or 1st if Nagpur is to be considered) day pitch and Santner can't knock them over. That's not who he is at the moment. He's an ideal foil for the seamers in holding up an end, maybe getting 1-2 with pressure to allow the bowlers a lesser work load.
Actually think Santner would be ideal on a raging turner, in the same way that Jadeja is brilliant on those pitches.

It's the more dead wickets that Craig will be better at coaxing something out of.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually think Santner would be ideal on a raging turner, in the same way that Jadeja is brilliant on those pitches.

It's the more dead wickets that Craig will be better at coaxing something out of.
Yep. Craig could be useful on slow tracks like in the UAE like he's shown before, but even then it's a gamble playing him because there's a high chance he'll leak easy runs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I think it's just become really important that McCullum does a good job of reading the pitch before he names the eleven, now. There are definitely surfaces I'd rather have Craig on than Santner, but to be fair most of those surfaces are ones you'd probably want to play two spinners on anyway, so I think Santner should have a bit of a mortgage on a place for a while even when Craig is also playing.

The only pitches I think I'd only want one spinner on but want it to be Craig would be the ones that only really turned late in the game due to deterioration. These pitches seem rarer across the world than they were when I first started following international cricket, but some of the venues in England immediately spring to mind, where I probably wouldn't play Santner at all. I do think it has to be somewhat horses for courses now and it's going to be really important to read the pitch correctly.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Good question about ODI / T20 keeper after Ronchi's form slips or he retires.

Do we need a couple of years from de Boorder until Siefert is ready? Do we use Watling in the #5 Elliott nurdling role which leaves space at #6 (and #7?) for hitters (Munro / Anderson etc).

Latham is too important as a test opener to be messed around with short form keeper roles.
Watling would be my pick, given that Elliott seems to have indicated the World T20 might just be a good place to sign off. Also I think BJ's batting would benefit from the added game time as opposed to those long breaks between NZ test series.

Have only really watched de Boorder when the Volts were NZ representatives in a couple of editions of the Champions League, looked alright. He appears to have been a regular on A tours so can't be too far off the selectors minds.

Tom Blundell seems to be the incumbent in limited over 'A' teams at the moment, but I know even less about him.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
On Dunedin: I think Lanka acquitted themselves pretty well, this was a far weaker side than the one that toured a year ago, and they did make NZ work hard for the win. In some was this was a sort of template for a 'respectable away loss'. something that SA in India and the Windies in Aus didn't manage last week. Herath could be a bigger factor at Hamilton if the pitch plays to reputation.

Solid from NZ, signs of real test match confidence in the declaration and the fact they were able to win without some of the key players being at their absolute best. Thrilled for Wagner, he's increasingly reminding me of Matthew Hoggard in the kinds of performances he's putting in. (Hard to imagine this was his first test of the year)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think we're missing the bigger picture. Namely, who bats number 5 after McCullum goes?

Could Anderson bat no.5 and we keep the same team below him? Of course, Milne for Bracewell would be very tempting.
If Anderson is outscoring the other contenders when McCullum goes then he could get a crack at five. I'd probably prefer a Will Young type but FC runs should dictate.

Anderson at 5 is also going full allroundersville:

4: Watling
5: Anderson
6: Santner
7: Neesham
8: Craig/Astle
9: Milne
10: Southee
11: Boult

A little excessive but woteva

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Moss makes a very good point. What do we know about the Hamilton pitch. By memory one year with narine it really turned. Other years it has behaved. Craig will come into consideration.