• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well, I'm going to buck the trend and say the jury is still very much out on Santner. Chandimal aside, the Sri Lankans made absolutely no attempt to put his bowling under pressure, and his stay at the crease was too short to really make any judgments. Would still really rather have Anderson back. Will leave it to the end of the summer before I make up my mind about whether he belongs.
Nice post.

I hinted at the same in my mine without explicitly saying so. I expect the decision of which all rounder to play will be abundantly clear at the end of the test match summer.

Ideally Santner needs to ton up at some stage from a batting perspective. And survive an Aussie attempt to hit him out of the game from a bowling POV.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
"I was hoping someone would ask me about the 100 sixes. It's the only record I actually care about. It's the only record that Kane Williamson or Ross Taylor aren't going to break as well, so I should be able to hold on to that one." - McCullum

:laughing:
He won't hold it though. Southee will probably break it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, I'm going to buck the trend and say the jury is still very much out on Santner. Chandimal aside, the Sri Lankans made absolutely no attempt to put his bowling under pressure, and his stay at the crease was too short to really make any judgments. Would still really rather have Anderson back. Will leave it to the end of the summer before I make up my mind about whether he belongs.
Yeah Anderson's a much more convincing cricketer than Santner at this stage, but I don't think it's worth what you give up if you then have to drop Bracewell for Craig, tbh.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, fair point, but then again on the occasions when Southee, Boult and Wagner are all fit and firing we've never had too many issues taking 20 wickets. In that situation I just feel that Bracewell is kinda surplus to requirements.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, fair point, but then again on the occasions when Southee, Boult and Wagner are all fit and firing we've never had too many issues taking 20 wickets. In that situation I just feel that Bracewell is kinda surplus to requirements.
In that situation Santner and Anderson should both be playing, really.

I basically just don't think comparing Santner to Anderson directly really accomplishes much. I think there are essentially three package deals to consider:

1. Anderson+Craig
2. Anderson+Santner
3. Santner+Bracewell

If Santner v Anderson is a relevant debate when it comes to selection then Craig v Bracewell weighs in on the importance of the answer to the original debate. Anderson's the best batsman/batting allrounder and Bracewell's the best bowler/bowling allrounder, but the balance wouldn't fit with them both together as there'd be no spinner.

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Congrats to the Kiwis on a deserved victory. IMO the start your openers gave you in the match was crucial to the win because of the high scoring rate. I am not going to make if and but comments as they are irrelevant.
Whilst I am never happy when we lose, I am pleased that we showed some bottle and that as I have said before there is hope for us in the future without Sanga and Mahela. Personally,I never saw anything wrong with our opening partnership of Silva and Dimuth and hope we go back to it with mendis at 3. I am not convinced by what I have seen of Jayasundera( which tbf to him isn't too much). I am also not sure on vithanage's temperament for test cricket TBH but the lad has scored some runs so deserves another chance.I keep having to remind myself that these guys need time to adjust to the HUGE jump from our poor domestic circuit to top level international cricket. Anyways well done to the Kiwis and hopefully we come back strong Friday..

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I think we're missing the bigger picture. Namely, who bats number 5 after McCullum goes?

Could Anderson bat no.5 and we keep the same team below him? Of course, Milne for Bracewell would be very tempting.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to the Kiwis on a deserved victory. IMO the start your openers gave you in the match was crucial to the win because of the high scoring rate. I am not going to make and if and but comments as they are irrelevant. I am never happy when we lose but I am pleased that we showed some bottle and that as I have said before there is hope for us in the future without Sanga and Mahela. Personally,I never saw anything wrong with our opening partnership of Silva and Dimuth and hope we go back to it with mendis at 3. I am not convinced by what I have seen of Jayasundera( which tbf to him isn't too much). I am also not sure on vithanage's temperament for test cricket TBH but the lad has scored some runs so deserves another chance. Keep having to remind myself that these guys need time to adjust to the HUGE hi.p from our poor do estimate circuit to top level international cricket. Anyways well done to the Kiwis and hopefully we come back strong Friday..
Thanks for contributing to the thread, feel free to post more we welcome hearing Sri Lankan team news, or just views from your perspective.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think we're missing the bigger picture. Namely, who bats number 5 after McCullum goes?

Could Anderson bat no.5 and we keep the same team below him? Of course, Milne for Bracewell would be very tempting.
Oh true, true.

Will have to be either Corey, Neesh or Brownlie as noone else is in the picture right now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When McCullum retires I think I'll have another early mid-life crisis. I already freaked out enough when Strauss retired.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah - I think this FC season is crucial for a number of contenders to put their hands up for the number 5 spot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah it'll feel like the end of an era in more ways then one, given that McCullum is the last survivor of Fleming's team

vandem

International 12th Man
I think we're missing the bigger picture. Namely, who bats number 5 after McCullum goes?...
Will Young. 22yr old with good technique and FC average 40 (average 53 last FC season). Outside chances for Nicholls (less technique but a bucket load of runs), or Brownlie for a season or two until the 23-24 yr olds sort out their pecking order.