• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The toss was absolutely crucial, you can purely judge that by the reactions of both captains... And its been playing in SA's heads all game that they need to bat last... Its a definite psychological blow equivalent to have "runs on the board".
Yep. I agree 100%.
Wait so the fact that they're scared of batting last was the reason they got bowled out for 76 on day 2? Come on, this makes zero sense.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea. And that's fine. Its not unplayable. Its not dangerous. The batsmen have just played like idiots. FFS how can you blame expansive drives, poorly executed sweeps (conventional and reverse), lofting the ball to long off and whatever the **** it is that ABDV did on the pitch?
Its not just about the ball that gets you out....

indiaholic

International Captain
Oh and pray tell me what happened that convinced batsmen that reverse sweeps against the spin, guiding half volleys to the slips, slogging to long off, sweeping to balls that are not remotely close to the sweeping length and driving on the up to spinners are the way to go?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I hope BCCI realises there are careers on the line. Such pitches don't help any one wanting to watch good cricket.

OverratedSanity

Sure. I agree. There's been some inconsistent spin which is very tough to bat against. The only thing we disagree on is that this was somehow unfair to sa. They weren't screwed over by the toss, and the only reason were even having this debate is because of how terribly SA batted. I'm damn sure you agree that 200 was a gettable first inning score on this pitch. Imagine if SA had scored that many. We'd be saying what a great match this is, heading towards a wonderfully tight finish. Instead, SA have batted so poorly that its diverted attention to the pitch. It's just dumb, lazy thinking.

cnerd123

likes this
That's not the fault of the pitch. You call it an unplayable pitch if the batsman is literally helpless against the bowling. The batsmen being scared ****less by some turn and bounce, resulting in panick-stricken, misguided, 'attack is the best form of defence' style batting speaks more about their lack of temperament/technique than it does of the pitch.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh and pray tell me what happened that convinced batsmen that reverse sweeps against the spin, guiding half volleys to the slips, slogging to long off, sweeping to balls that are not remotely close to the sweeping length and driving on the up to spinners are the way to go?
This sort of stuff often happens on really difficult pitches. Brad Haddin's shot at Cape Town always springs to mind. I think batsmen sort of panic in a rush to get a few to their name before the inevitable unplayable ball. They lose faith in their ability to get set and build a comfortable innings, and so they make shot selection decisions reminiscent of the sort of batsmen who are always in that situation (ie. tailenders).

I think half the challenge in batting on pitches like this is keeping faith in your ability to play properly on them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Surely you're just trolling now? This match is fantastic.
How is it fantastic? It's difficult to make even a 40 on the wicket. Its not a contest between bat and ball. One cannot be set. It's a one sided game and instead of any player being the star, the pitches are the star for the wrong reasons.

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The sweep is to try get to the pitch of the ball when you keep getting beaten when playing with a straight bat, driving on the up because the previous ball was bowled a little faster and you have miss judged the speed because it keeps on holding up in the pitch. Slogging because every-time you try block the ball it beats you bat... etc etc etc...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I wouldn't like every Test to be like this, but I really enjoy them when they do come up. I always feel like a bit of a hypocrite when I make this argument though because I'd quite happily never see another batting paradise in Test cricket again; these sort of preferences are subjective.

OverratedSanity

Man I'd so love ot if sa won this for a number of reasons :

1) People who waah about the pitch will have nowhere to turn

2) Shastri and Kohli's nonsense #aggressive approach in the second innings deserves to be punished

3) It'll prove once more to all the dumb **** indian fans here that you never get corky on cw about India's chances. Ever.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The sweep is to try get to the pitch of the ball when you keep getting beaten when playing with a straight bat, driving on the up because the previous ball was bowled a little faster and you have miss judged the speed because it keeps on holding up in the pitch. Slogging because every-time you try block the ball it beats you bat... etc etc etc...
Yeah. I hope people realise these are professional cricketers. They are playing unconventionally as they won't last playing the 'proper' cricket much. The thinking is that 'let's try and make a quick 40 because that's the maximum I can muster here.'