• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

indiaholic

International Captain
I don't disagree. This sort of match is not really going to benefit us or teach us that much. 'Flat pitches' being more ubiquitous doesn't mean it's okay to have surfaces like this.
It has taught us that if you bat like the pitch is a minefield then you will lose wickets like you would on a minefield. It has taught us that if yout bowlers don't have the accuracy to exploit the conditions on offer, you will suffer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting cricinfo stats about highest 4th innings in India (from foreign teams) - only

West Indies 276/5 won Delhi 25 Nov 1987
New Zealand 272/6 draw Ahmedabad 8 Oct 2003
West Indies 270/7 draw Chennai 13 Jan 1967
West Indies 266 lost Mumbai 18 Nov 1994
New Zealand 252/2 draw Ahmedabad 29 Oct 1999
New Zealand 251/7 draw Mohali 10 Oct 199
Sri Lanka 249 lost Ahmedabad 18 Dec 2005
Sri Lanka 247 lost Delhi 10 Dec 2005
England 241/5 draw Chennai 10 Jan 1964
England 233 lost Kolkata 30 Dec 1961

NZ and West Indies standing out.
South Africa's highest 4th innings

South Africa 164/6 63.0 2.60 2 4 won v India Mumbai 24 Feb 2000

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The toss was absolutely crucial, you can purely judge that by the reactions of both captains... And its been playing in SA's heads all game that they need to bat last... Its a definite psychological blow equivalent to have "runs on the board".
Yep. I agree 100%.

Flametree

International 12th Man
14 overs to play... will India ask for the extra half hour?

I think Amla and de Villiers should come out to open.... got to be better than when Ashwin and Jadeja have got their rhythm and a couple of wickets behind them...

cnerd123

likes this
Can someone just post the gifs of all the wickets over here from cricingif? I'm on mobile. I count atleast 8 dismissas today as a result of dumb batting. The pitch is fine. Indiaholic and OS are spot on.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon they should send in someone like Vilas or Harmer as a pinch hitter to try to slog the spinners - might get a lucky 30 or 40 and push the close in catchers back. There is no point batting 'normally'

cnerd123

likes this
The toss was absolutely crucial, you can purely judge that by the reactions of both captains... And its been playing in SA's heads all game that they need to bat last... Its a definite psychological blow equivalent to have "runs on the board".
SA being scared of batting last != unplayable pitch.

It's all in their heads. This pitch is fine.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can someone just post the gifs of all the wickets over here from cricingif? I'm on mobile. I count atleast 8 dismissas today as a result of dumb batting. The pitch is fine. Indiaholic and OS are spot on.
It's definitely a tough pitch though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I wanted to see a proper contest between bat and ball. Proper cricket. Two out of four tests on nonsense pitches and one in South rained off. What a joke.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Jesus Christ because it has a psychological effect on SA is not what makes the toss crucial.
The toss meant game was all but lost. Ideally one would want teams to have lot of grit. However, how long can one bear upto such jokes of pitches.

cnerd123

likes this
It's definitely a tough pitch though.
Yea. And that's fine. Its not unplayable. Its not dangerous. The batsmen have just played like idiots. FFS how can you blame expansive drives, poorly executed sweeps (conventional and reverse), lofting the ball to long off and whatever the **** it is that ABDV did on the pitch?