• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Niall

International Coach
ya agreed...the reason Misbah wants an offie is because Babar already covers the sla variety though
True, but I just don't see Malik been much use short or long term for Pakistan. His most ardent fans will admit that at times he does chuck, and while you can get away with that in limited overs cricket somewhat, in tests you won't especially against England who absolutely hate sort of thing. If he was to get called, his value to the limited overs team decreases massively which would be a massive blow with the t20 world cup etc coming up.

Not exactly great numbers with the ball in his test career either and heck was never a great test batsman either.

I don't see him much of a factor against England if picked, especially if his inclusion means that the batting order is messed about.

Doing the business against a faltering Sri Lanka and rubbish Zimbabwe in limited overs cricket is one thing, but in the format which has always been his worst, I am very skeptical.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I believe Root should be opening.

It might affect Root's stats slightly, but for the good of the team, which is what matters, I think it might be best.

Cook and Root getting the team off to a 100+ start with No 3 & 4, coming if under less pressure, with the new ball seen off would get more runs and more sense than Root coming in at 20-2 like he has had to do a lot recently.

View attachment 22335

Root primarily is an opener, he's more experienced now, despite that, he has the best technique, he has the best average out of all the options we have tried in that role since Strauss.

Rather than protecting Root's average, trying openers who aren't good enough (to play the new ball or International Cricket). Play Root in that role, might lower his average, but I bet England's totals will increase. I also feel he'll do a lot better given his extra experience and confidence as he is now an established player.
Root failed miserably the last time he opened.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
well this time next year if Younis and Misbah are done there might be a place for Malik. He's in tremendous form
YK is not done for a while..

and I wouldn't look too much into Malik's form. He has performed like this on SC conditions against weaker bowling attacks before.. he used to take the Indian bowlers to the cleaners for fun before..but was never able to translate that into test match performances.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah malik sucked big time in test matches. Wasn't he in the squad way back in 1999 when pak toured aus? He's been sucking for so long

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Back in 99 he was more of an off spinner. I was talking more around 03-04 mark when his role became that of a batsman who could bowl off spin...and he has played a fair number of tests in that period..but struggled against decent bowling attacks. Given that next year Pak are scheduled to play a fair bit of cricket outside of SC, it makes no sense to go back to Malik, but to give ample opportunities to Fawad and Haris who Pak need to develop into frontline batsmen

91Jmay

International Coach
Decent warm up, pace bowlers economy rates impressed me. Keep it tight and build pressure for the spinners.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
Maybe reading too much in to this team but with only 2 warm-up games to play it looks like Ali to open. Looking at the bowling figure it also looks like he is likely to be our main spin bowler and therefore also our biggest sort of wicket taking threat on UAe wickets ... is that too much pressure for an experience cricketer, never mind a relative novice?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Finn putting in a performance like this puts the cat among the pigeons when it comes to selection for the first test.

Broad, Anderson, Finn, Stokes has a very right arm medium fast feeling. I'm hardly convinced by Anderson, Broad, Wood, Stokes but at least then they could utilize Wood in short bursts bowling quickly. i.e something different.

91Jmay

International Coach
Wood would be nailed on for me. Need something different on roads, he has a yard which could help.

Stokes looks like someone who doesn't add much value on this tour to be honest.

theegyptian

I don't see any reason to play Wood ahead of Finn.
Well as I said variation. Anderson, Broad, Finn, Stokes all are going to bowl right arm and around the same pace. Unless the conditions are seam/swing friendly it's going to be overkill and one or two of those bowlers aren't going to be utilised much.

Least if they play Wood he can bowl quick in short bursts and offer real variation.

91Jmay

International Coach
Hales
Cook
Bell
Root
Taylor
Bairstow
Ali
Rashid
Wood/Finn
Broad
Anderson

I'd have liked to see that be the 12 and them decide Wood/Finn on the day but with Ali penciled in to open they will go with this.

Ali
Cook
Bell
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Rashid
Wood
Broad
Anderson

My preferred side is more balanced and solid IMO.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Finn is a different type of bowler than the other 3.
Not different enough to warrant selection if the rumoured 3 seamers+ Stokes+ Ali+ Rashid is the formation they go with.

He could play instead of Broad in that formation. Or he could play as part of a 3 seam 2 spin attack if they dropped Stokes.