• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Another failure against spin for Buttler. The only saving grace for Buttler at this point is the improvement in his keeping (and lack of from Bairstow). Otherwise you'd have thought Bairstow would be keeper here.

Tour game going to form so far. Cook and Root best bats. Buttler and Bell both at sea against spin and both out lbw playing sweeps. Stokes failure in Asia. (oh and Ali out pulling/hooking). Only thing going against the form book would be Bairstow spending some time at the crease.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell has always been shocking against quality spin. Isn't a huge bar to set but I'd be surprised I if he even does better than last time in the UAE.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tipping Root to smash at least 2 hundreds this series. Dude's the real deal.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bilal is a hack IMO. I'm guessing he was picked more as a bowling allrounder who can pinch-hit as opener than as a genuine allrounder, but his bowling isn't exactly special either. Did well yesterday but that was more down to Zimbabwe than him IMO, and they handled him comfortably in the first ODI. Could be a fringe T20 player but really should be nowhere near the Test setup for mine. Imad Wasim is a different story though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Lot of the sports journalists in Pakistan seem to rate him quite highly. I haven't seen his bowling to be honest. Just saw him play a ridiculous shot in the second ODI to get himself out.
I think the strategy behind this is that Pakistan have for most part of the last 5-6 years used Hafeez quite extensively as a off spin all rounder in limited overs cricket and they are looking for players in the same mould now as they come to terms with the fact that Hafeez may never bowl for Pak again.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Bilal is a hack IMO. I'm guessing he was picked more as a bowling allrounder who can pinch-hit as opener than as a genuine allrounder, but his bowling isn't exactly special either. Did well yesterday but that was more down to Zimbabwe than him IMO, and they handled him comfortably in the first ODI. Could be a fringe T20 player but really should be nowhere near the Test setup for mine. Imad Wasim is a different story though.
Batting-wise he is a hack. But bowling-wise Imad and Bilal are certainly comparable imo.

Stace

First Class Debutant
So did Ali out bowl Rashid or was his wickets just silly give away shots and Rashid was unlucky? Can see Ali taking more wickets then Rashid but Rashid scoring more runs this series even though the selectors are expecting the opposite.

I would be surprised if Bell plays again for England after the SA series (if he makes it that far), its time to give a run to the likes of Bairstow, Taylor and Vince.

Niall

International Coach
Bilal Asif has been reported for chucking today and Malik called into the squad. I didn't expect him to be brought in Malik until a few reports over the weekend and am unsure about the decision. He isn't a good enough bowler to play as a main bowler and their simply is no room for him in the middle order. I know Azhar opening fixes that and heck its something I have wanted for a while as he is a glorified opener as so often they lose an early wicket:laugh:

But I don't think Pakistan especially under Misbah will want to drastically change things like that.

Also wouldn't be shocked if Malik gets called either.:ph34r:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well this time next year if Younis and Misbah are done there might be a place for Malik. He's in tremendous form

Niall

International Coach
Maybe, but Sohail and Alam have been killing it for so long in domestic 4 day cricket, it would be a shame that they did not get first go when it came to replacing those 2. Malik not exactly a proven success outside the SC either.

I'd be more tempted to see what Wasim could do, if they wanted an all rounder in the side.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe, but Sohail and Alam have been killing it for so long in domestic 4 day cricket, it would be a shame that they did not get first go when it came to replacing those 2. Malik not exactly a proven success outside the SC either.

I'd be more tempted to see what Wasim could do, if they wanted an all rounder in the side.
ya agreed...the reason Misbah wants an offie is because Babar already covers the sla variety though

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
I believe Root should be opening.

It might affect Root's stats slightly, but for the good of the team, which is what matters, I think it might be best.

Cook and Root getting the team off to a 100+ start with No 3 & 4, coming if under less pressure, with the new ball seen off would get more runs and more sense than Root coming in at 20-2 like he has had to do a lot recently.

styats_3380725b.jpg

Root primarily is an opener, he's more experienced now, despite that, he has the best technique, he has the best average out of all the options we have tried in that role since Strauss.

Rather than protecting Root's average, trying openers who aren't good enough (to play the new ball or International Cricket). Play Root in that role, might lower his average, but I bet England's totals will increase. I also feel he'll do a lot better given his extra experience and confidence as he is now an established player.

JRC67

U19 12th Man
I believe Root should be opening.

It might affect Root's stats slightly, but for the good of the team, which is what matters, I think it might be best.

Cook and Root getting the team off to a 100+ start with No 3 & 4, coming if under less pressure, with the new ball seen off would get more runs and more sense than Root coming in at 20-2 like he has had to do a lot recently.

View attachment 22335

Root primarily is an opener, he's more experienced now, despite that, he has the best technique, he has the best average out of all the options we have tried in that role since Strauss.

Rather than protecting Root's average, trying openers who aren't good enough (to play the new ball or International Cricket). Play Root in that role, might lower his average, but I bet England's totals will increase. I also feel he'll do a lot better given his extra experience and confidence as he is now an established player.
Can't agree with that move, Root scores consistently where he is and no other batsman can be relied on to do that. Any opener can get a good one in the first 10 overs, we could easily end up 20 - 6 if Root and Cook get out early.