• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
@merido
I am on the train and need to fill in some time so will blab on a bit about leadership in general. The only reason I preface my post this way is that normally I would accept your response as a decent one and move on. So don't treat this as me challenging your views is what I am saying.

Myers Briggs have studied personality types. My personality type intj is over represented in leadership positions despite the fact we are introverts. A lot of that is for some of the reasons you point out such as we are good listeners and we are very predictable so people can work with us easily.
Our brother profile is the entj which have all the same characteristics as us but are extroverted. They are more over represented even than we are and are described as natural leaders.
Intjs have to work at it.
I for one hate networking events with strangers which can be a requirement for some leadership roles.
Sometimes I have to speak off the cuff in front of a group again not my favourite thing as I would prefer to deliver a prepared speech.
Being an extrovert doesn't make you intelligent or a leader but if you happen to be intelligent, be full of integrity, and be a genuinely good person, and on top of all of that be an extrovert you will have a leg up over someone who has the same characteristics but is an introvert.
There will always be exceptions to the rule and I agree that a lot of extroverts talk nonsense just for the sake of talking.
I have read a book on the introverted leader and it basically boiled down to the fact that introverts need to work harder at it than extroverts. We need to prepare and plan our approach to each encounter carefully. An extrovert will just wing it. Rightly or wrongly and probably with less success.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
cotton wooling can just make injuries more likely because the bowler loses match fitness.
While not relevant for a stress injury. My own unscientific theory about ODI and t20 bowling is about strain injuries from bowling short spells. 1 over here, 2 overs there. At the death quick Yorkers from ball 1.

I reckon. Never underestimate the powers of an over of looseners on Eden park outer oval with 6 spectators watching, thats the sort of cricket we need for getting through seasons relatively injury free.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Introverts can make good leaders because they think more about things and think about how to not **** things up. Extraverts are often goofballs. In any case, the majority of people are balanced between introversion and extraversion. It isn't likely that a heavily introverted person would even play cricket because it's a team sport. So it probably isn't that meaningful to say "Williamson is introverted" and try to read anything from that.

Skyliner

International 12th Man
While not relevant for a stress injury. My own unscientific theory about ODI and t20 bowling is about strain injuries from bowling short spells. 1 over here, 2 overs there. At the death quick Yorkers from ball 1.

I reckon. Never underestimate the powers of an over of looseners on Eden park outer oval with 6 spectators watching, thats the sort of cricket we need for getting through seasons relatively injury free.
Makes sense. Boult and Southee are our jewels in the crown. We've got some key components of our test attack under serious injury clouds. Cannot afford Southee getting crocked as well.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
According to a Herald article a couple of days ago, McCullum's retirement is "imminent."

The Herald has been a bit doom and gloom lately, having also said the best case scenario for Boult is to be out injured for 18 months, the worst case never playing again.

When will we get news about Boult's injury? I noticed we haven't heard anything about Corey J. since he returned home.
Source?

Boult probably would've only have gotten back to NZ last night. Probably won't hear anything till next week.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
extroverts are energised by social situations, introverts are drained by them. Roughly speaking.
Ya, introverts avoid social interactions when not necessary or when they're genuinely not interested. It is mainly because they think social interactions would drain their energy levels, and they need to conserve energy for 'thinking'.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Introverts can make good leaders because they think more about things and think about how to not **** things up. Extraverts are often goofballs. In any case, the majority of people are balanced between introversion and extraversion. It isn't likely that a heavily introverted person would even play cricket because it's a team sport. So it probably isn't that meaningful to say "Williamson is introverted" and try to read anything from that.
There are 2 aspects to leadership - strategising (e.g. Mike Brearley), and being a good leader of men (e.g. Imran Khan).

Introverts may sometimes have an upper hand on the former, and sometimes not so in 2nd one. Actually, it is difficult to generalise in that manner, because there are many types of extroverts. Would an extrovert like Sreesanth be a good leader of men? Never. I'd rather differentiate in 2 categories: 1. Intelligent vs people with average intelligence, 2. People with good people skills versus people without. Intelligent people should be good strategists, and good people skills may develop into good people leadership skills.

There are 2 aspects to leadership - strategising (e.g. Mike Brearley), and being a good leader of men (e.g. Imran Khan).

Introverts may sometimes have an upper hand on the former, and sometimes not so in 2nd one. Actually, it is difficult to generalise in that manner, because there are many types of extroverts. Would an extrovert like Sreesanth be a good leader of men Never. I'd rather differentiate in 2 categories: 1. Intelligent vs people with average intelligence, 2. People with good people skills versus people without. Intelligent people should be good strategists, and good people skills may develop into good people leadership skills.
Err I stopped reading at Brearley and Imran. Go read about Brearley. Better yet, read one of the endless Botham Brearley pieces. Very much a leader of men. Imran was very much strategic too.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if The Herald knows for sure he will be retiring - from one-dayers. Baz mates with some of the journo's?
How long has Baz got left full stop ....will the T20 World Cup be his swan song.
Hard to imagine NZ Cricket without hm.

Our injury concerns are starting to mount up...a few months out from the November tests and we have 2 all rounders and our best bowler under serious injury clouds.
'Baz is retiring' has been a thing for ages now. Every series somebody writes that his back has died once and for all and he'll be gone after X, but I don't think any of them actually have a clue.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Another point regarding Williamson's suitability for the captaincy is that he will lead by example when it comes to dedication and professionalism.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Someone else who's watching more closely to tell me if I'm spouting utter ****e, but it looks to me that Willey has a long way to go regarding seam position.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Love to see him try that against Starc. Which is only one reason why it's a shame this isn't a tri-series.