• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
5 wides ffs. It's one thing to be smashed by these guys, but quite another to gift them runs like that.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Genuine question, as I haven't followed McCullum's career all that closely.

Looking at his one-day average of 30, you'd think he's OK but nothing special. But clearly that isn't how he's regarded nowadays.
When did it all change for him?

Looking at his one-day average of 30, you'd think he's OK but nothing special. But clearly that isn't how he's regarded nowadays.
That is 2 runs less than Jayasuriya...

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant

When he moved up the order to open, really. He used to be a lower order slogger in the Ronchi model.

I do not like this 4 bowlers and Santner thing.

I notice Munro is not bowling in England at the moment.

Edit: Jesse stop taking wickets opening the bowling. It makes miss you more.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain

McCullum's been through quite a few phases in his limited overs career. For his first stint int he ODI side (around 2002-2004) he was first an opening batsman, then dropped and brought back as a wicketkeeper who used to bat at 8 or 9. Was very raw at that stage and often looked awkward, rarely giving us an idea of his hitting ability - must have averaged around 15 at a SR of 60-70 at that stage.

Around 2004-07 he finally settled in and developed as a lower order finisher. NZ used to bat very deep then so opportunities for big scores were rare. Don't know if statsguru will bear me out my guess is an average of 25-30 at a SR of close to 100 at this stage.

Post-2007 he was moved up to open following Fleming's retirement from the one-day side, he assumed the role we're mostly familiar with. I think he turned a corner just after he took up the captaincy in early 2013, when he moved to the middle order for a while. When England toured NZ early that year, his batting had noticeably moved up a level.