• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Flem274*

123/5
Reason is right about Carter though. Best first 5 to ever play the game. Not as destructive as he once was but still a better defender, passer and tactician than Barrett. And I'm from Wellington so you know I love Beaudy (and Crudes). You can always bring Barrett off the bench.

Btw, how good is that Milner-Scudder bloke? I thought losing Andre Taylor would be a massive loss but the Canes' ability to produce outside backs is probably only matched by Fiji.
You can tell yhe super scum franchise system has takrn over when beaudy is a hometown herofor wellington.

You're the rugby equivalent of the ipl. Piss off.

Yeah Buttler played really well. Root was outstanding.

Well without Vettori, Southee, Anderson and Milne, the attack looked awful and 'pop gun' at best. The McClenaghan naysayers (of which I am proudly one) were given a further example that he was justifiably left out of the World Cup team so often.

Boult played well. And was used well by McCullum. At 200/6 he brought the innings back after Root's onslaught. I won't read into Santner debut performance too much, and I will not criticise NMac. One spinner too many in the team. Tough day at the office for them, and not fun for them at all bowling overs 35 and onwards.

But Southee Anderson and Milne are essential to this NZ ODI team moving forward, and yesterday's NZ performance in the field demonstrated this acutely.

Will Wheeler get a run in England?

I am not sure we really need to see McCleanaghan again on this tour, but he did the valuable role of reinstalling confidence into the English batsmen and deserves an MBE for services to English cricket.

Vettori will be sorely missed in absence.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You can tell yhe super scum franchise system has takrn over when beaudy is a hometown herofor wellington.

You're the rugby equivalent of the ipl. Piss off.
Hush hush my little provincial underling, your contribution to Wellington's glory is duly noted and forgotten.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the England selectors really seem to hate Taylor.

Hilarious, considering his county coach is one of said selectors.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, though even then the ball he was bowled off was the one ball that he actually played an orthodox checked drive to. Should've kept going with the head in the air, swing for the fences stuff imo.
Or if he'd been in a more circumspect mindset, given he hardly even looked at the first two...anyway I was in the beer line so perhaps I'm not best to comment. I don't think I'm being hypocritical given my Reason 'buy high stay high' rant earlier either.

I feel like Kip could've done a better job of articulating it, however.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Wow, what a caning this first ODI was. Would be almost wrong for us to win the series after getting downtroued like that first up. BCs bowling was just made to look impotent all night, and then a record chase was far from it in the end. I thought the match had shades of the NZ-WI CWC quarterfinal.

Stapel

International Regular
Why wasn't Moeen Ali playing? Was Rashid ahead of him? Is Rashid any good in FCC? And possibly a promising Test cricketer? I had pretty much forgotten about Rashid, but he was impressive with bat and ball.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Why wasn't Moeen Ali playing? Was Rashid ahead of him? Is Rashid any good in FCC? And possibly a promising Test cricketer? I had pretty much forgotten about Rashid, but he was impressive with bat and ball.
His bowling has been perceived to have gone a bit backwards in FC.

He also lacks a bit on control which previous regimes have deemed is about the most important part of an England spinner post Swann. Frankly though there is a a very select group of legspinners who dont offer up the odd full toss.

Frankly though its great to see a spinner beating the bat spinning both ways and his batting is as good as Moeens in present form.

If he continues in the form of yesterday I can't see them not picking him in the Ashes.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PEWS has mentioned it before but Imran Tahir, very effective in ODIs, anything but in tests. More than happy for Rashid to get a run in the one day side but tests are a whole different matter. If Moeen starts the ashes badly then he is the only obvious replacement but he should not play the first test.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Will Southee and Corey play the 2nd match?
Southee probably, he was only rested because of the heavy workload he had in the tests. Reckon they'll give Boult a breather and debut Wheeler. Corey is uncertain, as he has a back injury that's been niggling at him for a while. Hope so, but wouldn't bet on it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
PEWS has mentioned it before but Imran Tahir, very effective in ODIs, anything but in tests. More than happy for Rashid to get a run in the one day side but tests are a whole different matter. If Moeen starts the ashes badly then he is the only obvious replacement but he should not play the first test.
He shouldn't play the first test but he SHOULD have played one in the WI series.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Moeen is being put aside for the Ashes. Not that he really deserved a place in the team anyway. Hopefully upon his OD return, whenever that happens, he doesn't get shoved into opening again.

batting order made much more sense than in the WC. Buttler still too low for me though. Would swap him with Stokes.

Stapel

International Regular
Rashid and Ali are the same age and have played the same number of FC matches. Rashid has twice as many FC wickets. Obviously this is partly beacuse Moeen is, rightly or not, regarded as a batting all-rounder and Rashid as a bowling all-rounder. Yet, IMHO, it does make a case for Rashid in Test cricket! If FCC is not the thing to go by for Test cricket, what is?

I thought Moeen is being put aside for the Ashes. Not that he really deserved a place in the team anyway. Hopefully upon his OD return, whenever that happens, he doesn't get shoved into opening again. Batting order made much more sense than in the WC. Buttler still too low for me though. Would swap him with Stokes.
Ali isn't in the ODI selection. Being put aside for the Ashes seems nonsense to me.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
His bowling has been perceived to have gone a bit backwards in FC.

He also lacks a bit on control which previous regimes have deemed is about the most important part of an England spinner post Swann. Frankly though there is a a very select group of legspinners who dont offer up the odd full toss.

Frankly though its great to see a spinner beating the bat spinning both ways and his batting is as good as Moeens in present form.

If he continues in the form of yesterday I can't see them not picking him in the Ashes.
I agree so much with this post. Even if Rashid is more expensive than other spinners (say 4 an over in tests instead of 3 an over), would that really matter if he takes more wickets? And I think that the assumption that less threatening spinners are simply going to be blocked back to the bowler is completely redundant in this day and age.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
I agree so much with this post. Even if Rashid is more expensive than other spinners (say 4 an over in tests instead of 3 an over), would that really matter if he takes more wickets? And I think that the assumption that less threatening spinners are simply going to be blocked back to the bowler is completely redundant in this day and age.
I forgot to mention it but if they want a bowler to tie up an end they might as well play tredwell who will likely do the job better than Mo.

Mo bowling like he did last year against the Indians he's an instant pick but he was pretty bad against NZ. He still took some wickets however.

I also dont see him as a better bat than Rashid on present form.

Last edited: