• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope. I countered the bad reasons you and Spark gave against Cook :ph34r:, but regardless, I wasn't referring to Cook when I said overanalysis. I was referring to people trying to evaluate as to why others may want England to lose. The word England is the only answer you need.
There's no "bad" reasons ffs GIMH. Stop overanalysing.

I mean, Spark hates Dhawan just because he mocked Twatto once. Apart from that, he's done nothing to be hated whatsoever... in fact, comes off as a pretty cool guy. I didn't go and argue with Spark about how he shouldn't hate him though.

Highest total "to win" is such a pointless statistic though. There've been pretty huge totals made in the fourth innings in draws or even some losses... proves that those amount of runs can be made in the right circumstances. Just because the total didn't lead to a win doesn't mean it's as impossible as the statistic makes it out to be.
Agreed

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Highest total "to win" is such a pointless statistic though. There've been pretty huge totals made in the fourth innings in draws or even some losses... proves that those amount of runs can be made in the right circumstances. Just because the total didn't lead to a win doesn't mean it's as impossible as the statistic makes it out to be.
Exactly.

Records | Test matches | Team records | Highest fourth innings totals | ESPN Cricinfo

The fact we haven't had higher totals is usually more to do with the time left in the game.

Spark

Global Moderator
There's no "bad" reasons ffs GIMH. Stop overanalysing.

I mean, Spark hates Dhawan just because he mocked Twatto once. Apart from that, he's done nothing to be hated whatsoever... in fact, comes off as a pretty cool guy. I didn't go and argue with Spark about how he shouldn't hate him though.
#never4get

and you hate philander because... i don't actually know, he took too many wickets or something

OverratedSanity

Fourth innings chases are weird though. Plenty of sides make big scores when they have no hope of chasing down the even more massive score that's been set... then fail to chase 250.
Sure, which is why I feel dangling the carrot like Baz has done today accomplishes absolutely nothing. England are going to bat normally either way. Even if they'd been given longer to bat out, I doubt their batsmen would change their approach much. Giving them a smaller target doesn't increase the possibility of an English loss at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sparky my son, I added in a smiley before I saw your reply, it was a joke, chill, bang bullet

OverratedSanity

#never4get

and you hate philander because... i don't actually know, he took too many wickets or something
Philander is a **** tbf. Does ***** little send offs to batsmen, never bowls when the going is tough, apes Dhoni in interviews where he manages to give as little credit to the opposition as possible and is an unfit fat ****.

The Dan-Vijay saga is a far better example of inexplicable dislike.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
You know i wish someone in the next few years would get 500 to win a game. Just so Sky can stop showing their pointless statistic.

Philander is a **** tbf. Does ***** little send offs to batsmen, never bowls when the going is tough, apes Dhoni in interviews where he manages to give as little credit to the opposition as possible and is an unfit fat ****.

To be fair, he needs a new ball to get nibble to be deadly. Then his other spells are ordinary.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member

I tend to have irrational hate (hate is probably a bit strong) for players I wouldn't have picked, or got picked over other players I like. Joe Root and Ben Stokes are two examples.

They can win me over though.

Stapel

International Regular
You know i wish someone in the next few years would get 500 to win a game. Just so Sky can stop showing their pointless statistic.
Agreed,
The "400 runs in the 4th innings has only happened once" is massively overused. It is raw data, with hardly any statistical value. Simply because not too many times teams have been set a 400+ target AND have had reasonable time to get there.

Spikey

Agreed,
The "400 runs in the 4th innings has only happened once" is massively overused. It is raw data, with hardly any statistical value. Simply because not too many times teams have been set a 400+ target AND have had reasonable time to get there.
And had a capable batting line-up. Plus pitch deterioration has changed. 500 will happen, reasonably soon. Requires either a shock first innings collapse followed by the big chase (ala QLD's 450 odd last year) or insanely fast scoring, but it will happen