• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
i forgot that the MCC passed a law that prevents a team from scoring 450 in the last innings

this declaration leaves England still in a winnable position (450 runs in 180 overs is of course winnable, if unlikely) while doing nothing to improve NZ's chances of taking all 10 wickets imo. should have batted until lunch. NZ obviously should still win, but this isn't a good declaration imo
Would agree with you if not for the fact that there is the odd shower forecast.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Premature declaration. Knee jerk to ommentators it would seem. NZ to win, but England have a chance.
Agreed. And a chance to break the English spirit further with those quick lower order runs.
The declaration had almost nothing to do with the runs and almost everything to do with giving his bowlers a nice crack before lunch and a big rest because 98 overs were scheduled for today.
England are gonna get rolled here. Sub 200.
Brave call

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At the current RR we will win in the final session tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted as this one unfolds. Based on NZ's current average of zero wickets per over though, it's hard to see an England defeat.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Likelihood is we'll be rolled here. However if the overs are batted we'll get 450.

Which is why Cook would not have declared yet and McCullum did.

Also McCullum has to win the test and Cook doesn't. Which would have influenced the decision were it vice versa.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's 450. The chance of England chasing this down is miniscule.
It's minuscule, but so is the idea that these 'extra' overs before lunch make a NZ victory more likely than England victory, and if these overs don't increase a chance of a NZ victory, why declare. Lunch would have been sensible enough. Push it over 500. I see no reason why England can't do what they did in their second innings of last match and post 450. I mean, Cook can bore his way to 200 with time to spare

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It's minuscule, but so is the idea that these 'extra' overs before lunch make a NZ victory more likely than England victory, and if these overs don't increase a chance of a NZ victory, why declare. Lunch would have been sensible enough. Push it over 500. I see no reason why England can't do what they did in their second innings of last match and post 450. I mean, Cook can bore his way to 200 with time to spare
If we 1-0 or 2-0 we go to no7. If it is 1-1 we go to 4th

vandem

International 12th Man
Declaration is about maximising use of Southee and Boult while new ball is shiny. They get 35 mins pre lunch, 40 min rest, then 45+ mins after lunch.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We're on course to do it by tonight boys.
Gotta wonder if Lyth is the Gayle of test cricket. Thoughts ajdude?

also good tweet

Paul Sinha ‏@paulsinha 3m3 minutes ago London, England
Can't predict the result of this match, now that NZ have rewritten Test Cricket. Wouldn't surprise me if Pietersen scored the winning runs.