• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

WindieWeathers

International Regular
They got out 2nd and 1st ball respectively from good balls, trying to survive. What are you on about?
Guptil wasn't trying to "survive" with that one..he edge a ball he should have left imo. And a simple forward defence by Latham may have saved him too but he two to play a leg-side shot.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really. Most of the posts have been discussing legitimate reasons for the loss anyway, not really any dumb factors which didn't affect the match's outcome.

Surely discussing Southee and Craig's bowling and McCullum 's position in the batting order are talking points because they absolutely did hurt NZ (atleast Southee and craig' s bowling did). Finding what went wrong with the team in a match which they really shouldn't have lost after the position they were in at one stage is what a match thread us for right?
I'm not saying don't talk about it, I'm saying don't read too much into it. This game is the archtypical example for why it's not just how many but how and when you score and take your wickets and agonising over Southee getting smashed isn't really useful info. He had a bad game but he also arrived in England days before from the IPL and bowled on a pitch where both sides were going at 4/over for most of the game. It's not necessarily illustrative of a wider decline of his as some have suggested (Headingly should suit him more). On Craig, it's worth pointing out that Lords is rarely friendly to spinners in general, let alone vising spinners playing their first Test there. In the same vein, that Stokes was dynamite here doesn't mean he's the new Botham either.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Except for that NZ were chasing 350 odd on day 5 and WI were chasing 192 on Day 3, on different types of pitches (iirc), in different countries, with one of the NZ openers having just kept for 129 overs (out of his 202 total), yes they were totally the same situation. The only relevant part is that a team was chasing a total in the 4th innings against England.
The Barbados pitch was as bowler friendly as it gets and you can check the scores for yourself. Both teams had tough chases.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Boult was there too though and he was a class act.
Ah, you didn't actually watch the match, did you? Anyone who did would tell you Southee>>>>>>Boult in their new ball spells. To Boult's credit he came back well and hooped it with the new ball. And he took 4 tail end wickets. They both looked under-prepared and tired at various points, and Boult in particular benefitted IMO from being slightly underbowled on day 1 when Southee was persisted with a bit more -probably because at that stage of the match he had been genuinely more threatening than Boult.

Top_Cat

Ah, you didn't actually watch the match, did you? Anyone who did would tell you Southee>>>>>>Boult in their new ball spells. To Boult's credit he came back well and hooped it with the new ball. And he took 4 tail end wickets. They both looked under-prepared and tired at various points, and Boult in particular benefitted IMO from being slightly underbowled on day 1 when Southee was persisted with a bit more -probably because at that stage of the match he had been genuinely more threatening than Boult.
Statistics say otherwise, bud.

NZTailender

The Barbados pitch was as bowler friendly as it gets and you can check the scores for yourself. Both teams had tough chases.
And the Lord's pitch was batsman friendly but NZ had a short period of time in which to make hay. If anything, the fact that the WIndies openers last only 13 overs when they had 2 and a bit days to get just 192 runs shows how terrible their effort was :ph34r:

NZTailender

Statistics say otherwise, bud.
I know, but statistics don't tell you the whole story in this case. To assume Boult was completely amazing because he took 9 wickets - and some of his bowling was pretty awesome - doesn't tell you his line and length was waaaaaay off early on in both innings (and was taken off early, accordingly, in both innings).

Overall he bowled better than Southee (at the end of the day etc etc) but he too, at times, looked tired and out of sorts like Southee did. Something to do with recently arriving from the IPL is entirely possible for mine.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Incidentally, do we have any updates on the health of Jimmy Neesham. It's easy to forget he was the incumbent ahead of Anderson.

NZTailender

Honestly would field the same XI for the next match if Watling is all good to go. Don't need to dump Craig just yet.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Incidentally, do we have any updates on the health of Jimmy Neesham. It's easy to forget he was the incumbent ahead of Anderson.
Haven't seen anything. It's a stress fracture so he'll likely be down for a while, though I imagine he'll be fit again by the Australia tour.

OverratedSanity

Overall he bowled better than Southee (at the end of the day etc etc) but he too, at times, looked tired and out of sorts like Southee did. Something to do with recently arriving from the IPL is entirely possible for mine.
Weren't people saying that Boult and Southee would settle in quickly because of how the conditions would suit them while it'd be tougher for the batsmen to adjust quickly?

Everything isn't the ipl's fault. Don't be jealous of ipl.