• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

thierry henry

International Coach
Boult's bowling the correct pace to be effective. There is little point in a swing bowler in England operating much faster.
Well- and maybe I can be accused of circular logic here- I didn't think he was very effective, and I think his pace had something to do with it.

How is there "little point" in bowling faster though, isn't there always a point in bowling faster? 130kph swing is good but 150kph swing is better, etc. It's not like Boult stops swinging it at 140kph, swinging it at speed is his natural method when on song.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Thought our bowling was pretty poor throughout the day. Lucky to have them at 30/4, then unlucky that they got so far ahead.

Looks like a good batting strip though, hopefully we can make 550 or so.

Antihippy

International Debutant
Well- and maybe I can be accused of circular logic here- I didn't think he was very effective, and I think his pace had something to do with it.

How is there "little point" in bowling faster though, isn't there always a point in bowling faster? 130kph swing is good but 150kph swing is better, etc. It's not like Boult stops swinging it at 140kph, swinging it at speed is his natural method when on song.
I don't think pace was the problem for him this test, it was mostly spraying it all over the shop.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I just don't think Boult is overly effective (as a containment bowler) to left handers when the ball is still swinging but not consistently.

If you look at his bowling during the Stokes innings, his natural angle in towards leg stump (for the 'angle it in, swing away' delivery) was feeding his midwicket clip perfectly when the ball didn't shape away. When it did swing he was damn hard to face.

I don't think he bowled especially badly, just that, as vic pointed out, he was bowling as if 4 balls per over were swinging, when only 2 balls per over were actually moving.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'm pretty sure Watling will be okay to keep playing, just with a bruise. I expect to see him with the gloves come the morning of day 2.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really found Smithy more annoying than ever in his first stint in commentary yesterday, was literally cringing. Assuming he was tasting it in his spells later in the day.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
And while it's hot, how awesome is Joe Root? He made it look like we were bowling the 1992 World Cup attack at him. Just so much time to play his shots, and always seems to find the right placement.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Could be cloudy in the weekend, and Broad, Wood and Ali all capable of quick runs and getting it past 400. Then you got Latham who has yet to prove himself against top class seam bowling (to be fair neither has Ballance) a test meh player in Guptil and in between Taylor an undercooked Kane and Mc Cullum.

Not saying England will definitely win or anything absurd like that, but I dunno, it seems a nothing sort of price for me, if it was close to 7/1 or 8/1, I'd be excited.

I haven't backed a winner in ages though, so probably best to follow your own hunch.:laugh:
It's not 2013 any more.

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty dubious about our batting now it's time. Really needed to keep the bath spurners under 300 in case we have an implosion to get out of our system. We might need Watling and the engine room today.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I think a lot will depend on how McCullum goes. Probably (imo) he will bat in World Cup mode, and so we could see 150* from him at the end of the day (or out for nothing and heralding a huge collapse).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Runs on the board for England, even if we do get these last 3 poles quickly... England well on top for mine, not slightly.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
What a day of Test cricket. Awesome new ball bowling to have England at 30/4 and then some aggressive batting dug England out. I like the idea of playing Stokes up in the batting order - gives him more confidence. And Moeen coming at 8 really means this team bats till deep. If they stick to this, Australia may not steamroll England in the 5-0 fashion some people expect.

Day 2's first session is critical. If NZ bundle them out cheaply, they're back in the game.

I love the IPL, but this stuff is the real deal.