• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Well that is disappointing, sounds like England played well though. Was McCullum slightly over-egging the aggressive captaincy? 5 slips and a gully is fine in the first session, but 350+ in a day suggests he maybe persisted with it a shade too long.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Well that is disappointing, sounds like England played well though. Was McCullum slightly over-egging the aggressive captaincy? 5 slips and a gully is fine in the first session, but 350+ in a day suggests he maybe persisted with it a shade too long.
He certainly took too long to put some boundary riders out. They were going at 6p/o for over a good period in the afternoon.

Its fine against England's stodgier top order but Stokes was absolutely merciless against anything off line or length.

Matulino#1

Cricket Spectator
You can argue disappointment at not skittling England after 30/4

But..

That pitch looks like a road. Bit of swing for the quicks but it wasn't hooping and certainly no demons in the pitch.

Game IMO is poised to go deep into the 5th day, could be an epic ala Eden Park 2013.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I'll be worried till we're comfortably ahead in the batting. England is not a place where you can bank on big runs even on a flat pitch.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He certainly took too long to put some boundary riders out. They were going at 6p/o for over a good period in the afternoon.

Its fine against England's stodgier top order but Stokes was absolutely merciless against anything off line or length.
I suspected as much. It's a bit frustrating, as if England had finished the day at 300/7 then you'd still call it - on balance - NZ's day. But 350/7 means England are...well not on top, but certainly in the ascendancy.

thierry henry

International Coach
Read a report saying that the NZ bowlers looked rusty "especially Southee"...can't agree, I thought that Southee looked in better rhythm then he has for a while- was bowling 140kph and moving it, but his lines deteriorated as the day went on.

Boult was the worrying one, bowled 130kph all day, wtf? I know it ain't about speed but for a 140+ bowler to be bowling 128, 129, 130 etc is a pretty clear sign of a lack of rhythm and I thought Boult definitely looked less threatening as a result.

Henry confused me....looked pretty good all up but was also a yard down on pace but more significantly, he seemed to be bowling with a hacky sack. The ball inexplicably just was not carrying for him, which can be a good thing at times as he has that knack of making the ball stay low out of nowhere. Doug Bracewell has the same knack, can't really explain it.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Possibly, but you can't have it every way with the way he plays his cricket. He'll over-attack at times and get it wrong, but as he's shown previously he'll do so to our great benefit at times as well.

In this instance his bowlers didn't give him much. Especially to Stokes, we bowled 3 lengths and two lines. I know they were 30-4 but I don't think we were prepared to be driven enough early either.

Hooksey

Banned
KP would have had a wry chuckle at 4-30. But England found some very rare fight, and at 7-354, are quite well placed.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Read a report saying that the NZ bowlers looked rusty "especially Southee"...can't agree, I thought that Southee looked in better rhythm then he has for a while- was bowling 140kph and moving it, but his lines deteriorated as the day went on.

Boult was the worrying one, bowled 130kph all day, wtf? I know it ain't about speed but for a 140+ bowler to be bowling 128, 129, 130 etc is a pretty clear sign of a lack of rhythm and I thought Boult definitely looked less threatening as a result.

Henry confused me....looked pretty good all up but was also a yard down on pace but more significantly, he seemed to be bowling with a hacky sack. The ball inexplicably just was not carrying for him, which can be a good thing at times as he has that knack of making the ball stay low out of nowhere. Doug Bracewell has the same knack, can't really explain it.
Yeah, Boulty looked laboured. Henry I wasn't as worried about, debuting at Lord's you're always a chance of over-exerting and losing your shape/height. His seam wasn't always bolt upright so that was part of the problem, as evidenced by the one that got BJ in the kneecap.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
350 runs on the first day, imagine the carnage if England hadn't been playing against the World's Best Bowling Attack.
Ah. It's like the old colonial masters and the brash Aussies are the only ones allowed to overindulge in Nationalistic hubris. It's not my bag, but Crikey old bean.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Boult's bowling the correct pace to be effective. There is little point in a swing bowler in England operating much faster.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This Furball hating Bell thing is boring already. That CW45969 man did it to such a great extent that you can't really top.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah these were my exact observations, but I only watched the first session.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Boult bowled the exact same pace last time he was in England and picked up plenty of wickets - reckon it's a deliberate strategy rather than a sign of being out of form.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly, but you can't have it every way with the way he plays his cricket. He'll over-attack at times and get it wrong, but as he's shown previously he'll do so to our great benefit at times as well.

In this instance his bowlers didn't give him much. Especially to Stokes, we bowled 3 lengths and two lines. I know they were 30-4 but I don't think we were prepared to be driven enough early either.
I just worry that he's getting too aggressive with his field sets now. I can't remember him ever setting 6 slips before in a test (at least not outside of hattrick balls) - it just seems to me that he might be over indulging in it. As boring as 3 slips and a gully may be, it's popular because it's almost always all that's required.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I just worry that he's getting too aggressive with his field sets now. I can't remember him ever setting 6 slips before in a test (at least not outside of hattrick balls) - it just seems to me that he might be over indulging in it. As boring as 3 slips and a gully may be, it's popular because it's almost always all that's required.
Yeah he's probably got to get to a point where he recognises the point to dial it back. But as I say, I can handle that if the pay-off is a nick goes to hand at 4th at some stage where another captain wouldn't have had one. His bowlers didn't help him and he probably backed them too much, but that might also have helped them to be the bowlers they've been in the last 18 months.

All in all, definitely England's day but Buttler's wicket gives us hope tomorrow if we can clean up the tail for around 370 odd. Good pitch, if our batsmen get through the obvious threat of the new ball there's definitely runs to be had.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, there's still masses of time for NZ to put a score on the board and then try and apply the pressure on day 4. But I can't help but feel that given how little prep our batsmen have had, we really needed to get England out for under 300.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He got over-excited about earning the right to be aggressive, IMO.