• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

indiaholic

International Captain
I think umpires call is more to keep the status quo of batsman get the benefit of doubt, rather than margin of error issues.
That is a terrible way to code it in? Surely the rule should be something like, if half the ball is inside the line, it is hitting in line otherwise it is not. What the **** does the umpire have to do with it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think umpires call is more to keep the status quo of batsman get the benefit of doubt, rather than margin of error issues.
Which is exactly what the umpire's call on the predictive part is actually there for too - maintaining historical norms even if they were basically wrong decisions - despite the snake oil they'll try to sell you on the margin of error.

Flametree

International 12th Man
And while I'm on my hobby horse, why waste all those minutes checking no-balls and hitting bat - how about you look to see if it can be given out based on where it hits and where it's going. if those are out, check for the bat and the no-ball. I know if it's a no-ball or he's hit it you don't have to carry on, but I'd say 9 times out of 10 the issue is line or height, not bat. If the umpire gives it not out because he thinks he's hit it you could check for that first.... Just of many many things that might speed the game up.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Which is exactly what the umpire's call on the predictive part is actually there for too - maintaining historical norms even if they were basically wrong decisions - despite the snake oil they'll try to sell you on the margin of error.
Yeah. If it was truly a margin of error thing then you'd have a margin of error the other way (i.e. if it's only missing by a bit it's still out) and the error margins would increase depending on how far forward the point of impact is, etc.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting session. 4 wickets down but England in an excellent partnership. Advantage New Zealand IMO but both sides can point to significant wins.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Can you make a post about what you like about it in particular. Would value your view
Personally I love how fluent it is. I rate his approach to the crease and the pivot he gets. Also a huge fan of the shape he gets on the ball. Basically the bloke makes it look easy, whereas hacks like me have to biff the thing down there to have half a chance.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We didn't have a plan for root. And if we did he scared us by driving us initially.
Like I said before the match just keep giving him the ball to drive he will edge one of them on this pitch. It will cost you 40 odd runs but you will get him.
From his point of view he can even afford to slow down a tad and just milk the bowling. But only if the bowling warrants it.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Really? WRT Craig? Doesn't do it for me.
Yeah I rate it. He's no Graeme Swann, but he's not far off in terms of how he looks, I reckon. I suppose it's not exactly the classical offie's action but I'm a big fan. Watching him on TV also does no justice to how effortless his action looks in person imo. You get a better sense of it when you see him bowling in the nets alongside other guys.