• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The speed in which England scored yesterday is the biggest difference. Hopefully these two and Ramdin can grind away - Shiv can get a big score and then Holder and Taylor bring out the long handle.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Thought England were good in the field but couldn't quite force it home and they would have fancied getting Blakwood before the close. Obviously Stokes' fault for the no ball but it's also incompetence from Bowden. In all likelihood Stokes had been bowling noballs before it yet the umpire did **** all until he took the wicket.

Bowled well that second spell Stokes. Kind of spell you want from your fourth seamer. Good pace and getting some movement on a unresponsive wicket.

Stokes may be still a little raw and inconsistent but he undoubtedly has the quality to be a good international cricketer. You can't play Mitchell Johnson in Perth the way Stokes did and not have the quality. Always seem to have plenty of time when batting and has the knack of taking wickets. Just needs to find the consistency.

With Woakes it's the opposite. He's fairly consistent and mature but he's possibly missing a little of the natural talent with either bat or ball to be a good international cricketer.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought England were good in the field but couldn't quite force it home and they would have fancied getting Blakwood before the close. Obviously Stokes' fault for the no ball but it's also incompetence from Bowden. In all likelihood Stokes had been bowling noballs before it yet the umpire did **** all until he took the wicket.
Exactly what I said on commentary. The no ball checking is far too selective. He could have been bowling no balls all day of that extent, but the only time they check is when there's a wicket. I know they can't check every time because it would slow down the game disproportionately, but this is an area which needs serious attention. Mind you, I did notice yesterday that someone was called for no ball when they hadn't actually overstepped - something I haven't seen in a long, long time (if at all - certainly can't recall another example) - which might suggest they hadn't been missing no balls before that. Regardless, it's really unfair on the bowler to not have the chance to correct their run up until they miss out on a dismissal.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The speed in which England scored yesterday is the biggest difference. Hopefully these two and Ramdin can grind away - Shiv can get a big score and then Holder and Taylor bring out the long handle.
Taylor's batting has gone the way of broad's.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly what I said on commentary. The no ball checking is far too selective. He could have been bowling no balls all day of that extent, but the only time they check is when there's a wicket. I know they can't check every time because it would slow down the game disproportionately, but this is an area which needs serious attention. Mind you, I did notice yesterday that someone was called for no ball when they hadn't actually overstepped - something I haven't seen in a long, long time (if at all - certainly can't recall another example) - which might suggest they hadn't been missing no balls before that. Regardless, it's really unfair on the bowler to not have the chance to correct their run up until they miss out on a dismissal.
It happened with Hamish Rutherford in the test series v SRL earlier this year. He nicked one to first slip, the umpire called no-ball and the replay showed that the bowler had landed his foot about an inch behind the line.

HeathDavisSpeed

It happened with Hamish Rutherford in the test series v SRL earlier this year. He nicked one to first slip, the umpire called no-ball and the replay showed that the bowler had landed his foot about an inch behind the line.
Interesting. I couldn't have been watching at the time, or my memory has started to go. Just adds weight to the argument that some automatic way of registering a no ball has to be found - even if it is someone watching the no ball line on camera constantly and pressing a big red button which announces "NO BALL" over a newly installed stump speaker each time.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. I couldn't have been watching at the time, or my memory has started to go. Just adds weight to the argument that some automatic way of registering a no ball has to be found - even if it is someone watching the no ball line on camera constantly and pressing a big red button which announces "NO BALL" over a newly installed stump speaker each time.
Srinivasan et al could even outsource it.

Here's a question - the (****ty) camera crews working for Star Sports during the world cup...do they have to be paid according to NZ and Aussie minimum wage laws, or are their salaries subject to different rules?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
For those more in the know, how is Kieron Pollard viewed in terms of the long stuff? I have admittedly watched him very little as I rarely watch ODIs that don't involve NZ and he's never played Tests, so I've never got a real scope of his batting abilities. But an FC average of 37 is quite consistent with most of those in the line up; is his technique just not up to it, or seen as too much of an all-rounder/LO player to be taken seriously for the longer format?

Not that there's too much wrong with WIndies middle order - Blackwood looks a good prospect, Chanderpaul is world class and Bravo has been great for them - am wondering if they've missed a trick as he's 27 and could be potentially solid, and able to throw down a few overs to boot.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Pollard crossed my mind too, Geggy. He is such a talent. However, he seems to have warmed up to making tons of money in T20 cricket and might be lost to test cricket. Has played just 8 FC games 2010-11 season onwards. That's 8 first class games in 5 seasons.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Stokes may be still a little raw and inconsistent but he undoubtedly has the quality to be a good international cricketer. You can't play Mitchell Johnson in Perth the way Stokes did and not have the quality. Always seem to have plenty of time when batting and has the knack of taking wickets. Just needs to find the consistency.

With Woakes it's the opposite. He's fairly consistent and mature but he's possibly missing a little of the natural talent with either bat or ball to be a good international cricketer.
Yeah, Stokes seems to be brimming with natural talent. I hope he can make the most of it. Such cricketers don't come along that often. Yesterday, he bowled a lot of tripe but you are bound to have such days I guess.

Niall

International Coach
For those more in the know, how is Kieron Pollard viewed in terms of the long stuff? I have admittedly watched him very little as I rarely watch ODIs that don't involve NZ and he's never played Tests, so I've never got a real scope of his batting abilities. But an FC average of 37 is quite consistent with most of those in the line up; is his technique just not up to it, or seen as too much of an all-rounder/LO player to be taken seriously for the longer format?

Not that there's too much wrong with WIndies middle order - Blackwood looks a good prospect, Chanderpaul is world class and Bravo has been great for them - am wondering if they've missed a trick as he's 27 and could be potentially solid, and able to throw down a few overs to boot.
He has retired from first class cricket for now has Pollard.

Kieron Pollard quits first class cricket - IBNLive

He simply does not want to risk been called up for test cricket when the IPL is on. Shame but money is king.

Question for West Indies posters. Cornwall.

Rahkeem Cornwall | West Indies Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Love this guy when I watched him in the t20, only played 7 first class cricket matches so wouldn't be calling him up tomorrow, but maybe in a year or two, has he chance of playing test cricket?

karan316

State Vice-Captain
So happy to see Tredwell in the test side, hope he gives a good performance. His bowling is good to watch and I guess he can even score a few useful runs at number 8 or 9.

Last edited:

Antihippy

International Debutant
I find tredwell pretty unremarkable to watch bowl honestly. He's not bad at mixing up what he has but what he has are just steady off spinners that don't generate that much turn and bounce.

Spark

Global Moderator
Tredwell is probably the least interesting bowler to watch in world cricket. Accurate, so doesn't concede much, but does 0 with the ball.

Scaly piscine

Can't believe Jordan was on after 9 overs while Stokes had to wait for 22 overs to get a bowl. Stokes is the better bowler. Jordan just sprays it outside off and hardly makes anyone play. Stokes is potentially more expensive because he attacks the stumps and anything a little off line is going to be there to hit. Jordan's only ever economical because he sprays it too wide to be safely hit. He'll just waste the good conditions.

I expect the other seamers to get more overs than Stokes, but Stokes is still a far better 1st change bowler than Jordan. And if Stokes is regularly bowling no-balls but not being called then it's up to England's armada of support staff to get word across.