• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in West Indies 2015

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
And your sole spinner being a stock bowler, in the West Indies, strikes me as a really poor option.
nah it's the opposite. You want someone safe and accurate because anyone can turn it sharply. The difference between a leggie and an offie of the same standard is the leggie is going to serve up more pies to smash.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Stock spinners are gun in the Windies.

Someone like Jadeja would reek havoc at some of those grounds, IMO. And you all know how low I rate Jadeja.
Yeah, but that works best in a two-spinner pairing; your accurate spinner is going to tear up because the pitches do so much for them, but having a genuine attacking spinner alongside them (i.e. an Ashwin to your Jadeja, or a Bishoo to your Benn) is mighty helpful in running through sides IMO.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
If WI wins the series 1-0, 2-0, or 2-1, England drops to 4th behind Pakistan. If it is 3-0 to WI, England drops to 5th behind NZ.

If the series is drawn 0-0 or 1-1 England stays 3rd but would drop behind Pakistan if Pakistan beats Bangladesh. Also if England wins 2-1 or 1-0 they would drop to 4th if Pakistan whitewashes Bangladesh 2-0. If England wins 3-0 or 2-0 they will stay 3rd regardless of the Pakistan-Bangladesh result.

I hope that is clear. Whatever happens WI stay in 8th.

Thanks Ratings Predictor

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
pick a side ffs
The team composition of Windies is such that it makes it tricky either way. You want a more wicket taking option than a stock bowler, as the bowlers are weak. And then, you want a stock bowler so that the genuine wicket takers can have adequate rest. The advantage for England when they picked Giles was that they had Flintoff, and so could afford a stock bowler.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
nah it's the opposite. You want someone safe and accurate because anyone can turn it sharply. The difference between a leggie and an offie of the same standard is the leggie is going to serve up more pies to smash.
yeah this.

It's the same as taking an accurate medium pacer in seaming conditions over an express fast bowler.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
yeah this.

It's the same as taking an accurate medium pacer in seaming conditions over an express fast bowler.
...but most teams would take both. Why bother with, say, a second spinner in seaming conditions when you can pick the accurate medium pacer and the express quick? :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Having Jerome Taylor for a two test series instead of a three test one works in favour of Windies. He doesn't seem like a bowler who can bowl long spells for too long. He is an express bowler, like Steyn. If you had Steyn bowl a lot, he might work because he is super fit, but he might break down too. Looking at the stats confirms this:

First test averages 35,
Second test averages 31
Third test averages 57
Averages nicely for the fourth test (21) but that's a very small sample size of 2 tests.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No they're not. Not at all.
Jason Holder isn't very threatening. Averages 30 plus in ODIs and doubt he will any thing except an easy bowler to handle given his pace and from what I have seen.

Roach is okay but not amazing. Post his injury, after losing pace, he is still okay but not too special.

Taylor is fine but you don't win a lot of tests just with one real quality bowler.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Unless Roach has regressed significantly he's the best bowler in either side, particularly in these conditions.

Did you watch Roach bowl vs SA? He was too good for most of their top order, and unfortunately too good for his fielders.

Taylor ended the NZ series with more wickets than Southee and Boult.

Holder is likely a better third seamer than whomever England picks.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Unless Roach has regressed significantly he's the best bowler in either side, particularly in these conditions.

Did you watch Roach bowl vs SA? He was too good for most of their top order, and unfortunately too good for his fielders.
Roach has lost pace and isn't the same bowler any more after the inury. He might improve as he is still young. He is okay but nothing exceptional at this point.

Holder is likely a better third seamer than whomever England picks.
That's not relevant as I am talking about Windies bowling strength.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Roach is still a damn fine bowler. He just has consistent injury problems. You cant write him off based on his questionable Fitness but he certainly hasnt regressed.

Im against the conclusión of Benn because the West Indies is basically a spin bowler factory now. They can pick someone better who hasnt Been consistently below average their entire career, woeful With the bat, a liability in the field With a terrible attitude.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Roach has lost pace and isn't the same bowler any more after the inury. He might improve as he is still young. He is okay but nothing exceptional at this point.

Roach just carried a niggle in the world cup, nothing to indicate he's actually declined on quality. If he's fit, he's going to bowl well.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

The South Africa series that i mentioned was post injury.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone interested in doing some commentary on this with Spark & I? We're looking at doing the first session.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyone interested in doing some commentary on this with Spark & I? We're looking at doing the first session.
I'm probably going to be doing most of the day save for a break so I can make dinner ftr.