• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - New Zealand v Australia (29th March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Aussie batting a bit weak with Clarke, Watson, Finch and Maxwell. The Kiwis are a stronger team but this game is in MCG. Still, thinking New Zealand will win.

viriya

International Captain
Anyone here looking for tickets for this? I have an SL friend who bought 3 right after the T20 win last year and now wants to get rid of them possibly. Probably was drunk to think SL were gonna make the final tbf.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Clarke hasn't been in any form since his return. Finch has looked ordinary so far most of the tournament. Maxwell can pinch hit, but not sure how much he can do it versus quality fast bowling of New Zealand. Maxwell's technique isn't the best. Watson has started too look better coming down the order but he doesn't fill you with confidence given the form over the the last few months before his eventual sacking just a few games back.

Spark

Global Moderator
i could play exactly the same game with like most of nz's batting order too (hint: it's a stupid game). the maxwell comment is particularly silly.

the only person with serious form question marks coming in is clarke. frankly, he's barely had a proper hit all tournament.

viriya

International Captain
Clarke hasn't been in any form since his return. Finch has looked ordinary so far most of the tournament. Maxwell can pinch hit, but not sure how much he can do it versus quality fast bowling of New Zealand. Maxwell's technique isn't the best. Watson has started too look better coming down the order but he doesn't fill you with confidence given the form over the the last few months before his eventual sacking just a few games back.
Maxwell is much more than just a pinch-hitter imo.. You don't average 35+ if you're just a pinch-hitter.

viriya

International Captain
the only person with serious form question marks coming in is clarke. frankly, he's barely had a proper hit all tournament.
Clarke's last 2 dismissals suggest that he's a walking wicket to the short ball..

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke's last 2 dismissals suggest that he's a walking wicket to the short ball..
spoken like someone who hasn't watched clarke bat in the last five years.

he gets out to the short ball from time to time before he's set, and always has. once he is set, it's a really stupid idea to bowl short at him. i really don't think nz will go that route when they have bowlers like southee and boult to work on his actual weakness, which is the moving ball (and particularly getting bowled).

(and the last dismissal... seriously? you're using that as evidence? it was a long hop that for some reason he tried to hit for six)

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
spoken like someone who hasn't watched clarke bat in the last five years.

he gets out to the short ball from time to time before he's set, and always has. once he is set, it's a really stupid idea to bowl short at him. i really don't think nz will go that route when they have bowlers like southee and boult to work on his actual weakness, which is the moving ball (and particularly getting bowled).

(and the last dismissal... seriously? you're using that as evidence? it was a long hop that for some reason he tried to hit for six)
I know historically he's great vs the short ball.. the way he's been getting out lately suggests he's not comfortable with it early.

Spark

Global Moderator
I know historically he's great vs the short ball.. the way he's been getting out lately suggests he's not comfortable with it early.
welcome to michael clarke, the year two thousand and any number greater than three.

i mean the last time everyone convinced themselves that clarke was a walking wicket vs the short ball, this happened. before that, this. and before that this.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
i could play exactly the same game with like most of nz's batting order too
Don't agree. New Zealand has Guptill who has scored 2 50s and a big century so far, McCullum who is giving them a good start every time.. Willamson is a quality player. Corey Anderson has been finishing it off really well. Grant Elliott coming to the party has been a big boost. The only one who looks out of knick is Taylor right now. The Kiwi batting fills me with more confidence.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't agree. New Zealand has Guptill who has scored 2 50s and a big century so far, McCullum who is giving them a good start every time.. Willamson is a quality player. Corey Anderson has been finishing it off really well. Grant Elliott coming to the party has been a big boost. The only one who looks out of knick is Taylor right now. The Kiwi batting fills me with more confidence.
focussing on positive aspects to reinforce strong priors in doing nothing except bring up positive aspects to reinforce strong priors shocker

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I could literally just replace every NZ batsmans name in Pratters post with an Australian and it'll stay the same.

Ftr I do agree that NZ's top order is a tad better.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Maxwell is much more than just a pinch-hitter imo.. You don't average 35+ if you're just a pinch-hitter.
Pinch-hitter doesn't necessarily mean a poor pinch hitter. A pinch-hitter is some one who comes in to score very quick runs. He is a pretty amazing pinch hitter when he gets going. However, the play on the word regarding his style of batting isn't the core point. It's that I don't trust his technique against the better bowlers of the Kiwis.

Spark

Global Moderator
I could literally just replace every NZ batsmans name in Pratters post with an Australian and it'll stay the same.

Ftr I do agree that NZ's top order is a tad better.
exactly.

and of course nz's top order is definitely better, but that's not where our major trump card lies.

viriya

International Captain
welcome to michael clarke, the year two thousand and any number greater than three.

i mean the last time everyone convinced themselves that clarke was a walking wicket vs the short ball, this happened. before that, this. and before that this.
Those are Test matches where he has time to play risk free cricket. Obviously I'm not saying he can't play out his early weakness, but as it is now you wouldn't put money on him coming up big.

Spark

Global Moderator
Those are Test matches where he has time to play risk free cricket. Obviously I'm not saying he can't play out his early weakness, but as it is now you wouldn't put money on him coming up big.
and exactly how does that make any difference when he's supposedly a "walking wicket" and bound to get out like he did against riaz?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
focussing on positive aspects to reinforce strong priors in doing nothing except bring up positive aspects to reinforce strong priors shocker
Bah.

McCullum - Warner
Guptill > Finch
Williamson < Steve Smith
Taylor - Clarke
Elliott > Watson
Anderson > Maxwell
Ronchi < Haddin given Australian conditions.