• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just saw 5 minutes of the highligts and that is it, has this been a bad day like Colvile just said? Without seeing anything of the actual play I would guess we are about even.
We'll have to wait and see what happens when we bat, but it was such a shockingly inept performance by England that I don't accept we are on par at all. India probably have 100+ more runs on the board than they should have, or would have if they were up against a cluey captain and bowlers that knew how to exploit their own (dream) conditions.

Of course it could all change tomorrow but right now India would be and should be by far the happier side.

We were ****ing awful from the little that I could stand to watch.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We'll have to wait and see what happens when we bat, but it was such a shockingly inept performance by England that I don't accept we are on par at all. India probably have 100+ more runs on the board than they should have, or would have if they were up against a cluey captain and bowlers that knew how to exploit their own (dream) conditions.

Of course it could all change tomorrow but right now India would be and should be by far the happier side.

We were ****ing awful from the little that I could stand to watch.
The overnight weather won't have upset the Indians either. Massive thunderstorms will have soaked the outfield and left the wicket sweating under the covers. It's sunny now and will be really hot later, but you figure the atmospherics should help the ball to swing.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trouble is Cook must be telling him to bowl that dross as he set the field back. Unbelievably bad cricket on a wicket like that.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Trouble is Cook must be telling him to bowl that dross as he set the field back. Unbelievably bad cricket on a wicket like that.
Yeah, I don't blame Plunkett, well not when he was bowling round the wicket with the field back anyway.........that **** is all on Cook's head. Plunkett was as guilty as Jimmy and Broad of not getting the length right when he was trying to bowl full though earlier in his spell.

I seriously am going to struggle to watch tonight, I will because I'm a sucker and I always do......but I can't remember ever being this ****ed off or disinterested in an England side.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
People are blaming Cook, but a lot of these strategies might have been pre-decided. And there are so many breaks in between, if Cook is getting it wrong, shouldn't the coach be telling him to change things a bit??
And talking about Plunkett, he doesn't look threatening when he pitches the ball up, except for when the ball reverses. Maybe the strategy was decided to suit his bowling, if its not working it will be changed. But can't go blaming Cook for his bowling. A bowler can ask for a different field or maybe bowl differently if something doesn't work, Plunkett's bowling strategy looks more of a collective decision, not something that Cook has solely decided to go for.

The field setup when Shami came into bat was shocking, and was surely wrong, maybe its because Shami doesn't look to play regular shots, he just looks to slog them, and lofts the ball in the outfield every now and then. But still, it was a bad field set up. But I don't think Cook is responsible for Plunkett's poor bowling.

91Jmay

International Coach
As I said in the first Sri Lanka test and got panned for it, Plunkett isn't quick or good enough to consistently bowl short. He has bowled a decent spell or two when he has pitched the ball up, but his consistent short stuff is dire. That's part on Cook/management and part on him for not being skilled enough to execute.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, I don't blame Plunkett, well not when he was bowling round the wicket with the field back anyway.........that **** is all on Cook's head. Plunkett was as guilty as Jimmy and Broad of not getting the length right when he was trying to bowl full though earlier in his spell.

I seriously am going to struggle to watch tonight, I will because I'm a sucker and I always do......but I can't remember ever being this ****ed off or disinterested in an England side.

Interesting discussion on Star where Dravid and Wasim were speculating that perhaps giving Plunkett this short pitched round the wicket role has made him lose his usual length when he does bowl over the wicket on a pitch that is doing a lot, like this one was yesterday...

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to say that with how expensive the tickets are at Lord's you'd expect a bit more mature crowd, but then I realised that wealth and maturity don't go together...

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India scored first 145 runs in 58 overs for 7 wickets. Next 145 runs in 32 overs for just 2 wickets.

Have the last 3 parternships more than doubled team scores in each innings so far in the series?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
India scored first 145 runs in 58 overs for 7 wickets. Next 145 runs in 32 overs for just 2 wickets.

Have the last 3 parternships more than doubled team scores in each innings so far in the series?
Did it twice so far.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I was going to say that with how expensive the tickets are at Lord's you'd expect a bit more mature crowd, but then I realised that wealth and maturity don't go together...
Nothing to do with maturity. Its either idiocy or hypocrisy. Or if the Lord's crowd think physical contact is okay, we should just select Gambhir and give him a metal elbow extension and ask him to run a lot of singles.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only saw the first session but was so impressed with the way India applied themselves on that wicket. England's bowlers should be kicking themselves. I'm not as sure as others that the pitch will be that much better for England's batsmen tomorrow, we'll soon find out.

Incidentally, not surprised to see Rahane succeed, was impressed with him in NZ. His uncomplicated style reminds me a touch of Williamson.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nothing to do with maturity. Its either idiocy or hypocrisy. Or if the Lord's crowd think physical contact is okay, we should just select Gambhir and give him a metal elbow extension and ask him to run a lot of singles.

I find it bizarre that people get offended by booing