• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England 2014

Howsie

International Captain
I watched most of the first two sessions, ****ing disgrace of a pitch. Makes for such boring cricket especially when you already have two teams like India and England playing. Unless it's a close finish can't see myself watching anymore of this match.

Edit: I'm surprised btw that teams don't bowl more often to Kohli where Broad got him yesterday. He seems to have such a problem with that length and yet you rarely see bowlers stick to it against him.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think it is just the length though.. It is when it bounces higher than he expects off that length and not many bowlers in the world can do that.. I guess Morkel and Broad are the best bets..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I dont think it is just the length though.. It is when it bounces higher than he expects off that length and not many bowlers in the world can do that.. I guess Morkel and Broad are the best bets..
It's probably the movement away which is doing him in. Even McLaren got him once or twice like that and he isn't a bloke who gets anywhere near as much bounce as Morkel.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah.. but I am talking in the sense that any bowler whose effort ball can get up appreciably higher than their normal delivery from that length. Perhaps McLaren is someone who could do that too.. I didn't see too much of him though, so can't comment.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Blocky,

The primary reason why India scored at a tick under 3 and the run rate worsened at the end of the day was that whenever there were prolonged spells of short bowling, India's scoring was stalled as Vijay is decent at moving away from the short ball but has terrible offensive technique against that sort of bowling and it was wise not to dabble with it.

Additionally, blocking out the last ten overs with the new ball was incredibly standard as it was extremely important that we don't lose another wicket considering how green our 7-11 is.

Scoring runs quickly is an exercise which comes with its own costs and India's batting yesterday shouldn't be of any concern in this regard.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Flat pitch, chance for MSD and some of his pets to do well. Feel for the English team, this pitch is horrible. Was expecting to see our youngsters being tested on some seamer friendly wickets. I hope this is not the case for the remaining four matches. Not watching this match, n m sure many other cricket lovers would be doing the same.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good to see a century after a bad NZ tour - though he sticks around which is a huge huge thing that Indian openers don't do overseas. Overseas century is still good regardless of the pitch. Not too bothered by the RR at the moment. It'll probably go up to above 3 by the end of the innings.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I only watched the first two sessions but even then, I lost count of the number of genuine half-volleys I saw being meekly mistimed to the fielders. It was **** last year, it's **** this year - stop it, TB.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good to see a century after a bad NZ tour - though he sticks around which is a huge huge thing that Indian openers don't do overseas. Overseas century is still good regardless of the pitch. Not too bothered by the RR at the moment. It'll probably go up to above 3 by the end of the innings.

He is like a less technically correct, less compact version of Aakash Chopra but with a wider range of strokes and more likely to carry on towards big 50s or 100s... I hope he remains the same and does well for us.. We badly BADLY need that kind of an opener..

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
this is where Cook is terrible.

Where the **** is the wicket going to come from? yes I realise that the pitch is terrible, but do something. A couple of covers or midwickets or something.

It just doesn't look like there's a plan after he tried the short ball experiment for all of 2 overs.
Well this post is looking terrible after some plans worked.

India certainly missed a trick not picking Ashwin. Spin might be a factor if India can bat for long enough.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone else just watch that little section on Bells fielding? Most comfortable I've ever seen him speaking on camera, interesting piece too..........he's such a gun fielder.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I only watched the first two sessions but even then, I lost count of the number of genuine half-volleys I saw being meekly mistimed to the fielders. It was **** last year, it's **** this year - stop it, TB.
TB was incredible last year mind you