• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan in Sri Lanka 2012

smash84

The Tiger King
take junaid khan off now.....bring in Sami and ask him to bowl falt out....rotate the quick bowlers and ask them to go flat out misbah....come on damn it....get a wicket

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
damn it....can't see Ajmal throwing......love watching some good throwing
There was one particular delivery to Sanga about a minute before my post. It was very blatant. It reminded me of playing 'French cricket' as a kid - chucking the ball at a school mate stood several feet away from me. The camera angle was from behind the arm.

The majority of his deliveries seem to be within the elbow flex limits; the problem is that he and other bowlers with "controversial" actions are perhaps through no fault of their own benefitting from a flawed regulatory regime.

These bowlers are quite aware that, having once been cleared of chucking in non-match, non-pressure laboratory conditions, they are highly unlikely ever to be called again - no matter what the authorities say about ongoing monitoring. For a start the cricketing public in certain nations will not accept further action and will believe the Salman Butt line that innocent players are being picked on simply becuase of their country of origin.

So these bowlers are perhaps understandably taking advantage by slipping in the odd blatant chuck amidst the majority of compliant deliveries. The old heresy of "once saved/cleared, always saved/cleared".

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't disagree with you but the problem is that this can't be rooted out unless eacch and every delivery in international cricket is monitored. Even from bowlers with supposedly "clean" actions. Because bowlers with "clean" actions might also be going over the limits with their effort balls.

stumpski

International Captain
182 needed from 48 overs, possible but have to bat very well
It's going to be almost impossible for Misbah to defend that unless his bowlers keep taking wickets. Yes he can put the field back but as long as the batsmen can take the singles they'll be happy.

stumpski

International Captain
It will be interesting to see if Sri Lanka are say five down with another 100 needed, if they still go for it.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
182 needed from 48 overs, possible but have to bat very well
This partnership can get SL very close if not over the line with Chandimal mostly the aggressor and Sanga playing the support role. Few strokeplayers in the game today can match Chandimal in this sort of situation.

Last edited:

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
I don't disagree with you but the problem is that this can't be rooted out unless eacch and every delivery in international cricket is monitored. Even from bowlers with supposedly "clean" actions. Because bowlers with "clean" actions might also be going over the limits with their effort balls.
I agree with the general idea but don't think it's practicable for reasons of cost. There's apparently not even enough money in the game to ensure that a high profile series such as the current one has DRS. Instead the actions of those who are already under the suspicion should continue to be monitored randomly and without tipping off the bowlers in advance even after they have been cleared. The monitoring - which should be conducted by the same experts who monitored them in the lab - has to be done unobtrusively, using existing camera technology and angles so that bowlers don't wise up to the fact that they are under investigation in a specific series and change their bowling accordingly.

smash84

The Tiger King
I agree with the general idea but don't think it's practicable for reasons of cost. There's apparently not even enough money in the game to ensure that a high profile series such as the current one has DRS. Instead the actions of those who are already under the suspicion should continue to be monitored randomly and without tipping off the bowlers in advance even after they have been cleared. The monitoring - which should be conducted by the same experts who monitored them in the lab - has to be done unobtrusively, using existing camera technology and angles so that bowlers don't wise up to the fact that they are under investigation in a specific series and change their bowling accordingly.
there was a whole thread on this topic recently.

Apparently it is not the practice to measure the angle of a 3D thing from 2D cameras.

CWB304

U19 Cricketer
there was a whole thread on this topic recently.

Apparently it is not the practice to measure the angle of a 3D thing from 2D cameras.
I didn't see the thread. But if that is the current considered expert position then obviously my suggestion won't fly.