• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in the West Indies 2012

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Doesn't that kind of show you that you're bit over-dramatic when it comes to selection in general though? He wouldn't have even been playing in Sri Lanka if it was up to you; he'd have been replaced with whoever the last bloke under 25 who hit 50 in domestic cricket was. And when he duly failed you'd pick the next one and so on and so forth until you had the Under 8s playing. Cricket is not a game where your output always matches your ability; it's a very inconsistent game by nature and players go through troughs and peaks. You just have to stick by your best ones and back then to get through the lows, especially given the big gap that exists between Test cricket and West Indian domestic cricket.
I saw no hope for the future and i was fed up of the status quo, then we had Gayle saying how he'd "get rid of test cricket if it was up to him"..so i think i had every right to question his desire and call for a change, since then of course a new set of players have risen up and with Gayle's inclusion now i believe we'd have a very decent batting order, for example..

Gayle
Brathwaite/Barath
Edwards
Darren Bravo
Chanders
Deonarine

Doesn't look bad to me, there's experience at the top and in the middle which balances things out perfectly, something we just don't have in this test series which has been costly, i hope to see it against England though and certainly NZ.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
As for yesterdays events, well i was delighted with the partnership deo and shiv had, glad to see deo get his feet wet again and finally show why he was selected, hopefuly his confidence will grow from here because his style of batting is perfect for the six postion i think because he can just steady the ship when it's needed, whats encouraging is he's managed to get in on all three occasions that he's batted, if he keeps that up then he's bound to get a big score soon,

Now lets talk about SAMMY :@ , man oh man, the guy is just an embarrassment and i truly hope this is the end of him now, how the feck he could contrive to play such a dumb shot at such a vital moment in the game is beyond me, i was just lost for words, he hasn't taken any wickets in this match yet and hasn't scored any runs, if that continues in the second innings then i think it might be the end of him, Gibbo was shaking his head at that stupid shot, surely he must see what most of the fans see?

Then we have the umpires, sorry but again i have to say that everything seemed to go in Australia's favor!!, the Roach decision was just pathetic, and they made on error with Powell aswell, but hey we're "little old WI" so these things don't matter to the ICC 8-) ,

Where the game stands right now i don't know, obviously Australia are gonna have a lead, if we move it down to 30 then i think we're well in the game, then it's gonna be up to the bowlers to get the job done, lord knows i don't have much faith in them seeing as it's only Roach, Shilly and Deo taking the wickets, Edwards is garbage and Sammy is hiding from the bowling, so we'd be lucky to get Aus out for 250 tbh.

P.S. Lyon may have got a 5fer but it's a miracle how he did, without sounding bitter he looks so ordinary to me it's unreal, i fear for him in the next ashes!!, and if he's taking wickets at this level then my word Narine's gonna be a monster when he puts on the whites!! :D .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WW, do you think Wade's keeping pad, getting in the way as it did of a regulation edge from Chanderpaul on about 30, is actually a fifth columnist within the Priory of Ausion dressing room? Doing it's bit to fight for good against evil?

I thought of this last evening when I saw that happen, and immediately suspected you would be thrilled at this happy development.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah. Thought he'd hit it tbh, straight off the face. Haven't seen the side replays, mind, but don't know how useful they can be.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw no hope for the future and i was fed up of the status quo, then we had Gayle saying how he'd "get rid of test cricket if it was up to him"..so i think i had every right to question his desire and call for a change, since then of course a new set of players have risen up and with Gayle's inclusion now i believe we'd have a very decent batting order, for example..

Gayle
Brathwaite/Barath
Edwards
Darren Bravo
Chanders
Deonarine

Doesn't look bad to me, there's experience at the top and in the middle which balances things out perfectly, something we just don't have in this test series which has been costly, i hope to see it against England though and certainly NZ.
So you're basically saying that the same batting order plus the inclusion of one player (who hasnt played a defensive shot in about 18 months btw) would be a quantum leap forward?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
P.S. Lyon may have got a 5fer but it's a miracle how he did, without sounding bitter he looks so ordinary to me it's unreal, i fear for him in the next ashes!!, and if he's taking wickets at this level then my word Narine's gonna be a monster when he puts on the whites!! :D .
Yes, I fear for him the next Ashes too. England have just shown us, if nothing else, that they can take spinners apart at will.

(And yes I know it's in England...blah blah)

WindieWeathers

International Regular
So you're basically saying that the same batting order plus the inclusion of one player (who hasnt played a defensive shot in about 18 months btw) would be a quantum leap forward?
Well firstly Edwards isn't playing in this test and he averages over 50, secondly before this innings we'd scored 304, 461, 590 and 449d in our last FOUR tests, yes the second innings scores haven't been too clever but adding Gayle to that i believe gives us a better chance of getting even better scores in both innings, because lets be real he doesn't usually fail two innings in a row.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes, I fear for him the next Ashes too. England have just shown us, if nothing else, that they can take spinners apart at will.

(And yes I know it's in England...blah blah)
If you know it's in england why make the first point in the first place? :laugh: Lyon's gonna get murdered out there, it's not even a matter of "if" it happens it's just when really :D .

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You have a crap team, man. A boring team. A little perspective wouldn't hurt.

And your Narine isn't all you make him out to be. People like Mendis have had a far greater aura of mystery to them and have still been found out. Narine's played a bunch of ODIs on slow turners, and hasn't looked anything out of the ordinary to these eyes.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having watched the highlights, still doesn't seem to be much of a follow through with Lyon. but i don't claim to be very well-informed about the technical stuff. and hey if it gets wickets

Ruckus

International Captain
If you know it's in england why make the first point in the first place? :laugh: Lyon's gonna get murdered out there, it's not even a matter of "if" it happens it's just when really :D .
Nathan Hauritz got 10 wickets @ 32 in 2009, and Lyon is a fair deal better than him.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
You have a crap team, man. A boring team. A little perspective wouldn't hurt.

And your Narine isn't all you make him out to be. People like Mendis have had a far greater aura of mystery to them and have still been found out. Narine's played a bunch of ODIs on slow turners, and hasn't looked anything out of the ordinary to these eyes.
Don't be jealous because your spinners are average!!!..:laugh: ,

Ashwin and Narine were on the same pitch in december!!!.. Narine made him look like an absolute novice!!!...and just to rub salt in the wound Sunil got him out with a carrom ball :p .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
The batting line-up was practically the same, and given the only relevant thing here is how they play spin, then, no, not much has changed at all.
And what did the Indian spinners do when they toured England the other day? :laugh:

And for me Lyon is no better than them.