• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why can't India produce great fast bowlers like Pakistan?

unam

U19 12th Man
Yeah, I would agree to that Outswinger. It's difficult to contribute it to race because India has also produced pace bowlers who aren't Punjabis/Pushtoons. However Pushtoons tend to be physically stronger because of the environment they come from. But it's mainly to do with the iconic images of Imran, Wasim etc coming in to bowl. For example we now have a lot of lefties in the domestic structure, all because of Wasim contributing so much to Pak cricket. I wouldn't be surprised if we get another Shoaib or Asif type of bowler in the next decade.
Every country has produced pace bowlers, but Indian bowlers are as good as Pakistani pacers and the fact that most of the Pakistani fast bowlers are Punjabi or Pathan must have to do something with ethnicity. Genetics might be same, it could only be the perception of people that turn punjabis and pathans in better bowlers for example, Punjabis and Pathans are generally perceived to be aggressive whereas people from other tribes/ethnic groups are perceived to be cool and calm. NOT SAYING THIS IS TRUE, JUST ONE POSSIBLE EXPLANATION. :)

smash84

The Tiger King
but Pakistan has not had too many pathan fast bowlers

Imran and Umar Gul the only ones to have really represented Pak for a decent amount of time

The rest have been all punjabis

Athlai

Not Terrible
KFC

India has a far far far lower amount of KFC restaurants proportionally to all good fast bowling nations. Coincidence? I think not.

Migara

International Coach
There have been new studies that point to a significant Bengali contribution to the origins of the Sinhalese.
About 15% of gene pool is Bengali, rest is South Indian in Sinhalese. SL Tamils and Moors don't differ much either. Basically, SL is South Indian, except for the language we speak.

Migara

International Coach
Hard to say, but Imran wasn't the first great Pakistan test seamer. Fazal Mahmood & Khan Mohammad go back to the early 50s & are probably both several cuts above any Indian quick to play before Kapil Dev.
Amar Singh and Mohammad Nisar?

Xuhaib

International Coach
funnily enough was having a chat with my fiancee cousin on the very same topic last evening and he narrated me a discussion he had with this guy when they were playing league together in England.

Kuruvilla said that once he and Prasad went up to Wasim & Waqar and asked them how they could increase their pace and stamina and the reply they got from the two W's was they should add beef and mutton in their diet. Now I am not sure whether the two W's were just taking the piss or not but apparently it did have an influence on Venky and when he became the Indian bowling coach he added mutton in the diet plan for his fast bowlers.

smash84

The Tiger King
funnily enough was having a chat with my fiancee cousin on the very same topic last evening and he narrated me a discussion he had with this guy when they were playing league together in England.

Kuruvilla said that once he and Prasad went up to Wasim & Waqar and asked them how they could increase their pace and stamina and the reply they got from the two W's was they should add beef and mutton in their diet. Now I am not sure whether the two W's were just taking the piss or not but apparently it did have an influence on Venky and when he became the Indian bowling coach he added mutton in the diet plan for his fast bowlers.
dude your fiance's cousin has a Sami-ish bowling average (even worse actually)

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I'm sure there are studies linking meat consumption to more aggressive behaviors. Which has obvious repercussions for fast bowling.

Also, someone mentioned the non-veg eating population of India being more than the entire populations of a lot of countries....meat isn't a daily staple for a vast majority of Indians. It's more a feast to be enjoyed on maybe 3-4 days in a week. Besides, traditional Indian cooking deprives foods of their nutrients through excessive exposure to heat.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woot, my two favourite subjects, height and speed.

Mark Richardson was interviewing Waqar Younis the other day and I was a little taken aback that they are basically the same height, so about 5'10"ish. I know he isn't a fast bowler, but Shahid Afridi is nevertheless built like an archetypal strong Pakistani cricketer, yet he is clearly shorter than Ross Taylor, so again, no more than 5'11". I daresay Rana Naved and Razzaq are similar and Sami a bit shorter.
Excuse my 18 mth late reply, but from all reports Mark Richardson is exactly 6 foot and I'd suggest Waqar would be between 6'0 -6'1.