• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Prior was so concerned about getting his front pad blown off he couldn't commit forward, trying to play with his bat but it's not his natural way, he'd rather have his pad out leading and then play the ball under his eyes through the offside. That one just held it's line a little bit more, probably pot luck but he bowled a really, really good line to Prior and deserved the wicket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prior was so concerned about getting his front pad blown off he couldn't commit forward, trying to play with his bat but it's not his natural way, he'd rather have his pad out leading and then play the ball under his eyes through the offside. That one just held it's line a little bit more, probably pot luck but he bowled a really, really good line to Prior and deserved the wicket.
You think the comms are right? Players not covering with their pads for fear of DRS getting them lb; they miss it with their bats and are bowled. I think there's a fair bit to that in this series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm. Bumble saying Akmal is "very enthusiastic". I missed the meeting where we decided that "very enthusiastic" was a synonym for "massively irritating twatt".

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You think the comms are right? Players not covering with their pads for fear of DRS getting them lb; they miss it with their bats and are bowled. I think there's a fair bit to that in this series.
Were they saying that afterwards? Just turned off the tv straight after the wicket. There's definitely a lot about it, guys have been putting their pad down the off stump line for years, and getting away with it being "too far down" or "hitting outside the line". Now they are being shown up for it, and having to hit the ball hard and straight at the bowler rather than towards cover with an open face. To do that, you have to put your foot down the wicket, and it's creating all sorts of problems.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You're right, and I apologise. I feel so strongly about this subject, and am so desperate to shake the selectors and my fellow England fans out of their self-induced complacency as to the adequacy of our middle order batting, that I occasionally go too far.

You can take all future posts on this subject as if they had been prefaced by the following, (which will go unwritten, as it is a bit of a mouthful):

"In an ideal world, in which hackneyed assumptions about 'weight of runs' were set aside in favour of a realistic acceptance of consistent patterns of underperformance under certain conditions by some senior players over a number of years..."

KP and Bell would both be dropped for the next Test.

Eventually, the patterns I've identified will become conventional wisdom, and the people accusing me of being "as stupid as stupid gets", or of hating on Bell because he screwed my sister/girlfriend/pet, will all too predictably crawl out of the woodwork, and jump on one of the many bandwagons they spend their lives waiting for.
See, your argument loses all credibility when you're advocating dropping KP and Bell yet retaining Morgan who barely averaged 40 against the same attacks you're deriding Pietersen and Bell for cashing in against.

Occasionally players have bad series. If we took your approach to team selection we'd be chopping and changing every couple of Tests. It also completely ignores the lack of candidates beating the door down for selection.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Were they saying that afterwards? Just turned off the tv straight after the wicket. There's definitely a lot about it, guys have been putting their pad down the off stump line for years, and getting away with it being "too far down" or "hitting outside the line". Now they are being shown up for it, and having to hit the ball hard and straight at the bowler rather than towards cover with an open face. To do that, you have to put your foot down the wicket, and it's creating all sorts of problems.
Yeah they were. Was a pretty interesting discussion. It makes sense, doesn't it? And of course the thing is, even though it's now part of the game, blokes won't be exposed to it til they get to international level, so it's questionable whether techniques will change. By the time you get there, most of your technique is settled.

Dare say it is, as they said on the coverage, an unintended consequence.