• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Genuine question. Can anyone remember a consistently worse batting performance from England than what we've seen on this tour? I can't. India 1992/93 was dire, but we made 200 a few times. I honestly think that we've plumbed depths previously uncharted by England's test batsmen over the last 3 weeks.
The scores were probably not as low but that home series against New Zealand always sticks in my mind as utterly terrible.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Saeed Ajmal to Morgan, no run, he goes back into the crease and tries to read him from the crease. No clue. The ball spun away, beating the outside edge by half a foot.
Good player of spin?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The scores were probably not as low but that home series against New Zealand always sticks in my mind as utterly terrible.
1999? Yes, good call. iirc NZ had just played a series against SA when they took a ludicrously small number of wickets in the 3 match series. Didn't turn out that way against our boys though.

At home to India in 1986 also came to mind.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really get why Morgan's forward press is so pronounced, gives himself too much to do after the ball is released, will often find himself with a moving head.

Stapel

International Regular
That someone being KP. Proper ****.

As for Bell, I hope that new guy who was trolling him hasn't been banned? Called it early and well.

How Strauss is still here heaven wonders. Credit to the captain.
There is something about not performing too well consistently, but outperforming when others don't. I like Strauss!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Must be gutting for England's bowlers. Morgan clearly not going to last long unless he bucks his ideas up.

Pothas

Wish he would just hit the bloody ball, hell I wouldn't even get angry if he got out doing one of those reverse reverse sweeps of his,

smash84

The Tiger King
I won't stoop to your level by calling you names: your post speaks for itself. Since you've just demonstrated that you don't understand the use of the conditional in what I sincerely hope is not your mother tongue, let me break down what I wrote for you, highlighting (and explaining the significance of) key words:

I wrote:

I've asked this question before: if, as I've predicted, Bell averages less than 20 in this series, what would be the attitude of his many defenders on this forum? That that level of performance is an aberration? That would be a very unintelligent, nay, delusional way of interpreting the data, given what has gone before.

In the above extract I reiterate my prediction that Bell will average less than 20. Everything that follows is CONDITIONAL upon that. I have acknowledged that it hasn't happened yet by using "if" after the colon, and then made use of the conditional in asking "what would be the attitude" of Bell's many defenders should my prediction come to pass. Then finally there is an implied "if" (if his defenders were to respond that averaging less than 20 in this series was just a blip) before I allow myself another conditional "that would be very unintelligent, nay delusional".

I can't believe you're sincerely raging along the lines of "how about we wait to see whether it happens, Nostradamus", when I couldn't have made it clearer that I was dealing in hypotheticals by my use of "if", "would" and other conditional constructions. Perhaps you're not just thick, and would react just as furiously upon receiving the following advice from your wife or mother, "you ought to take your umbrella darling; if you were to get caught in the rain, you would get very wet and might catch pneumonia":

"Well Nostradamus, how about we wait to see IF it rains, BEFORE accusing me of being the sort of person who could EVER catch pneumonia." :laugh:

As for your other question, if Bell does average 40+, or even 30+, I will come here and humbly admit to having been wrong about him. I have no problems whatsoever admitting when I'm wrong. What I will not do is react with "a massive shrug of the shoulders". And go on to claim that "people read far too much into individual series averages; a series average of 20 would prove nothing other than Bell wasn't in prime form for the duration of the series."

Given Bell's history of embarrassingly inept performances whenever he has been confronted with a balanced attack, that would be almost as stupid as your last post.
This guy sounds prophetic in retrospect

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That's better. Perhaps Strauss has told him that this is a onedayer and we need 100 from the last 12 overs.

Pothas

1999? Yes, good call. iirc NZ had just played a series against SA when they took a ludicrously small number of wickets in the 3 match series. Didn't turn out that way against our boys though.

At home to India in 1986 also came to mind.
Yeah 1999 all time low point, seem to remember we had some outrageously long tails in that series.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dorothy. If he's not picking the Spaniard, just be positive. Get to the pitch. Bare moves the fecker off the straight anyway.