• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes the key to fixing that issue is obviously to try and bowl the opposition out for 50 or so, which will obviously be easier to achieve if England's best bowlers bowl a smaller percentage of the overs.
No, I just think Finn might actually score more than Morgan and might contribute a few more good overs than him..

But why bother with facts when you can have your sly digs..

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This sort of logic is why weaker sides always seem to wind up with countless 'all rounders' who contribute **** all.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This sort of logic is why weaker sides always seem to wind up with countless 'all rounders' who contribute **** all.
Interesting definition of Finn there.. I just think it is a no brainer that whoever you have for your 6th batsmen slot is so bad that they can't even look like scoring a run in certain conditions, you might as well play an extra bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Interesting definition of Finn there.. I just think it is a no brainer that whoever you have for your 6th batsmen slot is so bad that they can't even look like scoring a run in certain conditions, you might as well play an extra bowler.
Or you try a different batsman.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No; Pothas's point was that Scaly really, really dislikes Panesar and used to whinge about him constantly when he was in the side as a regular.
Or in other words what Scaly described was pretty close to what the conditions would be like. I did want 3 spinners touring, albeit one was Borthwick for the situation where England were trying to force a win and wanted to go in with 5 bowlers. Pakistan have never played that well against Panesar and I always thought he'd take wickets against them.

If Panesar is only going to bowl a few overs then there's no point picking him, because the rest of his game is complete crap. He has to be a big factor with the ball to play and make up for the rest of his skills. These occasions now we have Swann are quite rare.

It also amazes me how much people over-estimate the odds of a draw, and this series was even more silly. The pitches in UAE always offer something - it's just a bit turgid at times. Turgid is not necessarily the same as a draw. You will get results most of the time, particularly with these two sides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you think he is any better than this #6, sure. I just don't think so.
The point is though, as I said before, the selectors obviously thought Morgan and Bopara were pretty good players originally or they wouldn't have picked them in the squad to begin with.

I don't rate either of them either and would've brought over Taylor and someone else (Bairstow perhaps) but the selectors obviously don't think they're really only about as likely to score runs as Finn or they wouldn't have picked them in the first place. Now you could argue that Morgan's performances on tour could have drastically changed their minds but Bopara hasn't done anything wrong since being selected to indicate to them they were wrong.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ravi for Morgan is, I imagine, the only change we'll see.

I'd personally give Davies a run ahead of Ding Dong, who looks utterly lost, but the latter has a fair bit of credit in the bank.

Just re: 5 bowlers. It became a 0% option when Bres's elbow wasn't up to it IMHO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The point is though, as I said before, the selectors obviously thought Morgan and Bopara were pretty good players originally or they wouldn't have picked them in the squad to begin with.

I don't rate either of them either and would've brought over Taylor and someone else (Bairstow perhaps) but the selectors obviously don't think they're really only about as likely to score runs as Finn or they wouldn't have picked them in the first place. Now you could argue that Morgan's performances on tour could have drastically changed their minds but Bopara hasn't done anything wrong since being selected to indicate to them they were wrong.
You know, I understand all that. I am just saying what I think will be most beneficial to this English side for the next match. Now of course, Ravi may well go on and play well and score a hundred. But as of today, I just don't think he or Morgan are test class batsmen for these conditions, and England would be better served with having Finn in their eleven instead of either of these two.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just noticed the couple of extra votes under Pakistan in the poll added after the 2nd test. Start owning up people :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just noticed the couple of extra votes under Pakistan in the poll added after the 2nd test. Start owning up people :p
I put my balls on the line and voted for England after the first Test.

Although that's not anything to be proud of tbf.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I was tempted to close the thread before the First Test, but then decided against it. Obviously my plan of entrapping PEWS into voting for the wrong side worked. :ph34r: