• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Amid the plans for my vacation in the coming week I completely forgot this series was happening. Will miss the first game since I'll be getting drunk on a beach at the time, good thing its unimportant.

Sri Lanka to win this series with ease obviously. :p

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
maybe in the shield but sure as hell not in list a cricket

david hussey has had a lot of opportunities to put up better than decent results. he hasn't. he is 34. he has no chance of being at the 2015 WC. Now of course he's not alone there. But you compare him to those others players that won't be around in the 2015 WC - Lee (still our best OD bowler), Ryan Harris (challenger to Lee's throne), Ponting (top 3 batsman) and Mussey (top 3 batsman)....he's 34 and it's a struggle to convince anyone he deserves his spot based on pure cricketing reasons. So it's pretty easy to see why some of us would rather take some other guy instead of an old mediocre player.
There we have it. Dhussey will now average 105 with the bat and 19 with the ball this tri-series.

Andre

International Regular
Even if I end up tasting it I'm confident Dussey won't do jack at the 2015 WC
In January 2012 I don't think many of us could give a rats who does what in the 2015 World Cup.

Gotta get through Feb 2012 first and fact of the matter is there isn't anyone better than him at the moment for his role. We get it, you don't like him, pick Nev etc.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Prefer we pick the best squad available. David Hussey is near enough given his decent record for Australia and the specific role he plays. Unless Michael Clarke starts to bowl more overs, then the 5-10 overs provided by Hussey become very important given we have no Watson.

I can understand that building for a World Cup is important for some, however Hussey doesn't have many direct competitors for his role that are upto the task ATM.

Spikey

what happens if we don't get through Feb 2012 ftr? Pistols at dawn? Australian public gets to ban 3 members of the team from ever playing professional cricket again? As far I can tell Feb 2012 features tri series tournament between Australia, India and Sri Lanka which is hardly Mt Everest. I don't think they'll be a ticker-tape parade if we win it. so like, maybe it's time to focus on the stuff ahead in which a guy who really hasn't done much for aus or victoria in recent seasons and is 34yo probably doesn't feature.

Now that's not to say I hate the guy. I just don't get and don't like the selection. I mean in the same squad we've picked Peter Forrest. If Dussey performs, cool, good for him. All power to him. But consider that the stats say you should be batting Christian ahead of Dussey at 6, what with him having made a ton for his domestic team at least one time since 2008 and all. So we're gonna play Dussey at 7? Where he might not bat and he might not bowl? Surely you may as well play a younger guy there. I would certainly consider Mitch Marsh or yes even Steve Smith for that role. I reckon letting David Hussey provide a stern test to the mostly young bowlers that play in the shield and have Steve Smith fielding to his heart's content for australia ends up a net profit for australian cricket in the end.

Spikey

what happens if we don't get through Feb 2012 ftr? Pistols at dawn? Australian public gets to ban 3 members of the team from ever playing professional cricket again? As far I can tell Feb 2012 features tri series tournament between Australia, India and Sri Lanka which is hardly Mt Everest. I don't think they'll be a ticker-tape parade if we win it.

I could be wrong on this front of course. For all we know when Ricky Ponting dies they might be saying "Ponting is perhaps best known for participating in the 2012 commonwealth bank series"

uvelocity

International Coach
Well I do at least like that Invers posts reasons for this and that selection.

A bit misleading the didn't pick any of the top run scorers thing, like how many runs has MJ Clarke scored in Ryobi Cup this year? I think Conn just wanted to write Ryobi Cup a few times. Proabably gets a free lawnmower.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All this talk is precisely why ODIs leave me cold these days. I mean yeah limited overs cricket is a vastly inferior sport to proper cricket in general but I always used to like the variety it brought, the different ideas, the different flow of the game etc - just as a change. It's impossible to take it seriously when selection is so inconsistent and random though.

I for one have always been a big advocate of the idea that the best way to adequately prepare for the World Cup was to build a culture of winning and performance, whereby the best eleven played near enough every match and you had to perform to break into the side - but if people just disagreed with that it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I may disagree with the "build for the next World Cup" policy but I'd live with it if it was applied across the board as an official stance. The same applies to the "give potential Test players exposure to international cricket" policy, the "blood youngsters for the sake of it" policy, the "rest and rotate players constantly" policy and all the other policies that seem to be partly but not completely implemented into every team in the world's selection process. At least then you could argue one way or another with each player but as it stands there are a thousand and one possible reasons for a player to be selected or not selected for any ODI squad. Even if they were just using a weighted combination of all those factors I could probably learn to live with that too, but the rules for each player seem entirely different - when Bevan was dropped from the side it was because Australia wanted to build for the next World Cup and he's arguably the best ODI batsman ever; now we've got David Hussey playing (something I don't actually have any problem with - if it was to be consistent with the rest of the squad) and he's been a nothing international player his entire career. If Peter Forrest is playing then why isn't Rob Quiney? If McKay can get a game then why can't Hopes?

It's almost like the selectors sit down and pick three elevens - the "best team regardless of forward planning XI", the "team we think we'll be taking to the World Cup XI" and the "team of the best domestic performers across all three formats this season XI" - and then throw all 33 names into a hat before drawing out 14 of them. There's no consistency in thought or even seemingly a weighted system by which these factors are weighed against each other; it's just ****ing random.

Maybe if the three countries participating actually picked their best available lineups for this series or even, failing that, just picked squads that had some consistency in thought and process about them, we would care about who won the tri-series as it'd be a true test of current ability in these conditions. ODIs are losing respect from the fans because that's the message they're getting from the selectors.

Last edited:

Daemon

India usually makes decent ODI selections, resting the oldies (who am I kidding, oldy) for series against inferior opposition, such as everyone else in the world, when appropriate.

Sylvester

State Captain
Not getting all the Dussey hate in this thread, lol at Steve Smith being 'a hell of a lot better'.

Granted he hasn't set the world on fire in his ODI career to date, but if we cast our eyes around the domestic game for someone to bat 4, 5 or 6 and bowl 5ish overs per game then I honestly can't see a better candidate. He's dominated our domestic scene for 8 summers now. Voges could fill a similar role but he isn't quite as good as Dussey. Marsh, Smith and Henriques aren't in his league with the bat yet (doubtful they ever will be).
We already have Christian to bowl 10 overs and Mitch Marsh when he gets back.

SeamUp

International Coach
Have I gone blind or am I right in saying Peter Forrest averages 26 in List A cricket with a SR of 61 and only 2 50's? :cool:

Dougeh still injured or is he in hiding because the hairdresser messed his hair up?

benchmark00

All this talk is precisely why ODIs leave me cold these days. I mean yeah limited overs cricket is a vastly inferior sport to proper cricket in general but I always used to like the variety it brought, the different ideas, the different flow of the game etc - just as a change. It's impossible to take it seriously when selection is so inconsistent and random though.

I for one have always been a big advocate of the idea that the best way to adequately prepare for the World Cup was to build a culture of winning and performance, whereby the best eleven played near enough every match and you had to perform to break into the side - but if people just disagreed with that it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I may disagree with the "build for the next World Cup" policy but I'd live with it if it was applied across the board as an official stance. The same applies to the "give potential Test players exposure to international cricket" policy, the "blood youngsters for the sake of it" policy, the "rest and rotate players constantly" policy and all the other policies that seem to be partly but not completely implemented into every team in the world's selection process. At least then you could argue one way or another with each player but as it stands there are a thousand and one possible reasons for a player to be selected or not selected for any ODI squad. Even if they were just using a weighted combination of all those factors I could probably learn to live with that too, but the rules for each player seem entirely different - when Bevan was dropped from the side it was because Australia wanted to build for the next World Cup and he's arguably the best ODI batsman ever; now we've got David Hussey playing (something I don't actually have any problem with - if it was to be consistent with the rest of the squad) and he's been a nothing international player his entire career. If Peter Forrest is playing then why isn't Rob Quiney? If McKay can get a game then why can't Hopes?

It's almost like the selectors sit down and pick three elevens - the "best team regardless of forward planning XI", the "team we think we'll be taking to the World Cup XI" and the "team of the best domestic performers across all three formats this season XI" - and then throw all 33 names into a hat before drawing out 14 of them. There's no consistency in thought or even seemingly a weighted system by which these factors are weighed against each other; it's just ****ing random.

Maybe if the three countries participating actually picked their best available lineups for this series or even, failing that, just picked squads that had some consistency in thought and process about them, we would care about who won the tri-series as it'd be a true test of current ability in these conditions. ODIs are losing respect from the fans because that's the message they're getting from the selectors.
Cliffs?