• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Comm Bank Series - Aus, Ind & SL ODI's***

outbreak

First Class Debutant
ANyone seen the Hadds has come out and said he's been dropped, not rested and he expects a struggle to make it back into the Australian side?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
on one hand, it's nice to hear him saying stuff other the usual cliche bull****

on the other he's a moron

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha I saw a headline on the side. "NSW carrying nation's cricketing hopes".

Trolololololololo

benchmark00

Haha I saw a headline on the side. "NSW carrying nation's cricketing hopes".

Trolololololololo
Back page of the Daily Tele today itbt.

'GIVE THE BLUES TWO TEAMS' was the headline.

Then listed an XI of NSW players playing for other states.

Proof that Christian Nicolussi reads CW.

Spark

Global Moderator
NSW's first choice is still hilariously strong, isn't it? The batting anyway:

Warner
Hughes
Watson
Katich
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin

Or something.

Julian87

State Captain
NSW's first choice is still hilariously strong, isn't it? The batting anyway:

Warner
Hughes
Watson
Katich
Clarke
Khawaja
Haddin

Or something.
Well the article was about players from NSW, not those who now play for them.

Spikey

the most concerning thing about that article is that it didn't seem jokey at all

benchmark00

Anyway, the XI was:

Jackson Bird, Steve Cazzulino. Dan Christian, Tom C00per, Ed Cowan, Peter Forrest, Bendan Drew, John Hastings, Michael Hogan, Jason Krejza, Aaron O'Brien.

But the funny thing is that they spelled Krejza's name wrong on the back page, when it was in large, capitalised, bolded text.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
I don't get the whole Forrest over Ferguson thing.

For mine, Ferguson has proven himself in ODIs, whereas Forest's limited overs record is middling. I suspect the reason for blooding Forest is that they see him as a potential Test player. Well, this season aside, nothing in his history suggests that. I think Ferguson has more of a chance of making it as a Test bat. I see Ferg as a Mick Clarke in the sense that he doesn't have the best pre-Test debut FC numbers, but has always looked the part in the international theatre when he's taken the step up. We know that about Ferguson, on the other hand we don't know that about Forest.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think the Ferguson-Clarke comparison (or for that matter the Marsh-Clarke comparison) holds that well tbh not least because both are significantly older than Clarke was when he debuted, and have had much more time to actually make some strong FC seasons (and haven't, really).

Also worth noting that until Clarke was dropped and he reworked his technique/temprament, he was averaging mid-30s in Tests too.

adub

International Captain
I seriously don't get this idea that because they see Forrest as a test candidate (which says way more about the lack of options than Forrest's ability) that he should be in the one day squad. Did they play Uzi in the ODIs to get a look at him, or Hughes, or Cowan? Of course not. They played Australia A and Shield. The fact is all three would look more at home in an Australian ODI squad than Forrest (which isn't saying much good for Pete).

I bag out Ferguson and Marsh (deservedly so), but both are pretty solid ODI players and I'd never really bat an eyelid at their selection. It's horses for courses. Even this year with a dire Shield record and nothing good to say about his BBL efforts Ferg is killing it in 50 overs. That's just what he does well. Some players are good enough to be there in 2 or 3 formats, many aren't.

Pick the best squad, with an eye to the future, for each format. Thinking that anything Forrest does in ODI's (and history shows it's probably not going to be much) has any real predictive value for how he'll perform in the test arena is about as wrong headed as thinking Shaun Marsh was going to score heaps of test runs because he scored 99 not in a BBL game.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, having watched Inside Cricket the other night, I'm probably leaning now towards MWaugh's line of thinking re ODI selection. That is, just pick your best side. Vacancies will arise through poor form, retirement, injury etc, and hopefully when they do arise, young guns will be there to force their way in e.g. MMarsh, Smith, Starc, Cutting, Henriques etc. The WC is so far away at this point, that it's really wrong headed to think you can start planning for it. That said, picking all of Ponting, M/Dussey, Lee etc. was probably going too far.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmmm... Apparently SL just got fairly comfortably beaten by Victoria 2nd XI... chasing 172.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
Can't wait for tonight's game and the ODI's. It's been an interesting summer of cricket so far and irrespective of our feelings towards the squad, it is still going to be interesting to see how guys like Dussey and Forrest are going to perform in this series. Having a lot of the test prospects playing Shield cricket will also be very interesting to keep track of over the next month.