• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Saw SA's total and their bowling lineup and I thought they would chase it down. Seriously Parnell and Philander shouldn't be anywhere close to the ODI team.

Briony

International Debutant
Yes. South Africa were pathetic though. The batting and bowling over 50 overs was below par.
And according to the commentators, 80% of the teams batting second at this venue win. Odd move perhaps from AB but really SA is a shyte fielding team with even AB as keeper fumbling key chances. Its decision to rest key players obviously backfired. Certainly SL has been disappointing though with nearly all the pitches on this tour playing into their hands because of their benign nature. Looks like SA has to recast its team if it wants to be consistently successful. Parnell is too expensive, Ingram looks ordinary and Peterson is always up and down. Philander doesn't look like a limited overs bowler.

longtom

School Boy/Girl Captain
well Sri Lanka's batting was good too :p
It was - and all credit to them.

However - fielding by SA was very poor, the bowling below par at this level and the batting listless to careless. They are experimenting so seeing how the second string could fit in in times of need. Need to experiment more me thinks .... :huh:

Himannv

International Coach
Yes. South Africa were pathetic though. The batting and bowling over 50 overs was below par.
I thought they batted well to put up that sort of total although I did see us start quite well. Watched in the pub until Sanga got out. Chandimal came in looking good but without Mahela this didn't look winnable at all. Gave up, left the pub and went clubbing. Dropped in here just to see how bad it all was and ended up surprised. Cool story huh?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It was - and all credit to them.

However - fielding by SA was very poor, the bowling below par at this level and the batting listless to careless. They are experimenting so seeing how the second string could fit in in times of need. Need to experiment more me thinks .... :huh:
I am glad they experimented..I am glad Steyn didn't play.

From South Africa's perspective, I have always felt that the bowling attack was a bit too reliant on Steyn and Morkel..and Morkel has been below par this year.. and then Philander came into the test side and it looked like South Africa can win test matches even if Steyn is unfit or not at his best.

But now they need to do that for the ODI side and give games to blokes like Parnell and Tsotsobe. or if there are other fast bowlers then give them games because ideally you don't want Steyn to be playing every game and breaking down. South Africa have to develop a bowling unit that can pick up wickets and win games without Steyn.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought they batted well to put up that sort of total although I did see us start quite well. Watched in the pub until Sanga got out. Chandimal came in looking good but without Mahela this didn't look winnable at all. Gave up, left the pub and went clubbing. Dropped in here just to see how bad it all was and ended up surprised. Cool story huh?
Was Mahela dropped?

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Finally a win! Can't believe they kept Perera out till it's too late. Dumb selectors over-played him in the wrong format, and then took those performances as a basis to judge his LO skills. :@:@

Good to see Dilshan playing with freedom again. Sanga should pay more respect to SA fielders and he'll be able score more. Hopefully we can repeat this performance in the 5th ODI as well.

SA showed signs of choke here and there, no surprise, but more than that they missed a good death/economical bowler in Botha I guess.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Saw SA's total and their bowling lineup and I thought they would chase it down. Seriously Parnell and Philander shouldn't be anywhere close to the ODI team.
Definitely agree about Parnell and I do about Philander to an extent too, but who actually should be close to the ODI team if they were going to rest the blokes they did? Aside from the other two spinners anyway.

Nomanculture

School Boy/Girl Captain
Last time SA toured SL for a bilateral tournament (2003/04) they were whitewashed 5-0. Now us Sri Lankans can be somewhat satisfied that SA couldn't give it back this time around.

A question for SA fans: Don't you people think you're missing AB the out fielder? If he weren't the wk in the 4th ODI, I think the result would have been very different. Whatever happened to Morne van Wyk? (He kept wickets in the WC I think)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Last time SA toured SL for a bilateral tournament (2003/04) they were whitewashed 5-0. Now us Sri Lankans can be somewhat satisfied that SA couldn't give it back this time around.

A question for SA fans: Don't you people think you're missing AB the out fielder? If he weren't the wk in the 4th ODI, I think the result would have been very different. Whatever happened to Morne van Wyk? (He kept wickets in the WC I think)
Tell me about it..I hate this concept.. I don't believe that the value an extra batsman would bring in a 50 over game is worth not having your best fielder field.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Definitely agree about Parnell and I do about Philander to an extent too, but who actually should be close to the ODI team if they were going to rest the blokes they did? Aside from the other two spinners anyway.
Botha, Theron, De Lange, Frylinck? Feel sorry for Rusty who hasn't done much wrong with this international career. Also, they played 5 POC in the last game so fulfilling the quota shouldn't be a problem.