• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The important thing is that we don't overreact to this. And I'm sure we won't, but I imagine there will be calls for a few heads over the next few days and it's important that Flower & Strauss keep a cool head.
These players got us to number 1, they lost us this match, they should get themselves back into it. If they can. Only change I might make is Monty in for Tremlett who looked pretty ordinary here if they think they need 2 spinners.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Presumably the fact that this match is being played in Dubai means it doesn't actually count as a proper Test match? :whistling

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
I think when you've been following the game for a while, you get to have a pulse for certain changes in tide around the cricketing globe. The Australian bowling lineup is on the up and up, and will wreck English batting in those tailor made conditions next year. They've been playing a horrible India, no doubt, but the signs are vital and there to see for all but the most obtuse.
If getting a pulse in your tide means getting magical clairvoyance of the distant future then yes of course your signs are vital

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think when you've been following the game for a while, you get to have a pulse for certain changes in tide around the cricketing globe. The Australian bowling lineup is on the up and up, and will wreck English batting in those tailor made conditions next year. They've been playing a horrible India, no doubt, but the signs are vital and there to see for all but the most obtuse.
You are a TROLL, I claim my £5.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
RE: Bell being such a good player of spin, I disagree.

His answer, especially early on in his or the bowler's innings, is to head down the wicket and try to bomb him straight back over his head. He plays the shot well, then guys go back and he's happy to pick them off for singles, almost one day style and pounce on anything shorter. Was especially good at it in Australia, when he was taking down Doherty and Beer.

But when he's not confident enough to be doing that, he gets stuck on the crease much more, and has to rely on his little paddle sweep. There's too much premeditation in his game to get away with it against the top class spinners.

EDIT: not saying he's bad, just wouldn't be building him up as much as others have been here.

heathrf1974

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Just saw the Strauss dismissal, it came off the hip. Why give it out when there was no hot spot? I'm confused. Who is the video review umpire?:huh:

Spark

Global Moderator
RE: Bell being such a good player of spin, I disagree.

His answer, especially early on in his or the bowler's innings, is to head down the wicket and try to bomb him straight back over his head. He plays the shot well, then guys go back and he's happy to pick them off for singles, almost one day style and pounce on anything shorter. Was especially good at it in Australia, when he was taking down Doherty and Beer.

But when he's not confident enough to be doing that, he gets stuck on the crease much more, and has to rely on his little paddle sweep. There's too much premeditation in his game to get away with it against the top class spinners.

EDIT: not saying he's bad, just wouldn't be building him up as much as others have been here.
Absolutely agreed. The point about premeditation is spot on IMO.