• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

swacker

Cricket Spectator
Talk is Siddle will be rested for this Test, and Starc and Lyon to both play.

If nothing else, the left armer may give Lyon some rough to bowl into, a la Swann last summer in the only match he actually did anything.
Have Siddle and Hilfenhaus improved a lot in the last 12 months? Or is it just that Aussies bowling better as a pack and therefore creating more pressure?

Spark

Global Moderator
Definitely. Siddle's bowling a much better length and Hilf is nigh on unrecognisable as a bowler from the Ashes.

ganeshran

International Debutant
The batting has also been abysmal - making Hilf look much better than he is (not that he is a poor bowler). The English batsmen played him really well during the Ashes

Siddle is the real deal though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there ends one of the more bizarre first over's bowled by a debutee. A couple of nicks, an inside edge and some legside trash

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I've had similar experiences, but in baseball. When I first started out at the house league level, I was put in 2nd/3rd base and really enjoyed it. Loved fielding line drives, ground balls, bunts, even pop-ups. But as I rose up the ranks to play at more competitive levels, double AA Rep specifically, I had to make way in the infield for some of the better and more experienced players in the line-up.

So when they put me in the outfield, it definitely didn't come as naturally to me as 2nd/3rd base. The ability to tense up was one aspect, but also had a difficult time judging the fly balls. However, it is one of those things where practice really helps. The coach decided to work with me one on one for a few sessions, and it drastically improved my footwork and ability to position myself, judge the trajectory and stay calm.
You guys wear a glove...how hard can it be? :ph34r:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I remember this show I once watched on Discovery comparing batting in Baseball and Cricket. They had some USA national cricketer bowl his part time spin to some pretty good US baseball player and when the ****er top edged 50% of his deliveries and middled a few others while the cricketer missed about 80% of the balls, their conclusion was cricket is easier than baseball. Have never raged so hard at Americans in my life :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Interesting to see fast bowlers' footwear being brought up just a few months after I posted about it. Still not 100% sure that it's the cause, but again, it definitely needs to be looked at.

Spark

Global Moderator
So, India:

There have been no great captains, and captains don't make a difference, it's the XI that makes the difference.
Is this really the bloke you want captaining your side in the future?

Jayzamann

International Regular
I remember this show I once watched on Discovery comparing batting in Baseball and Cricket. They had some USA national cricketer bowl his part time spin to some pretty good US baseball player and when the ****er top edged 50% of his deliveries and middled a few others while the cricketer missed about 80% of the balls, their conclusion was cricket is easier than baseball. Have never raged so hard at Americans in my life :p
There was a whole thread on that before, iirc. They were on the money with the 'sweet spot' being smaller on a baseball bat, but they were using areas of measurement like bat speed that mean nothing in cricket.

I remember at the time, the US was ranked 30th in cricket. At the same time it was France that was ranked 30th in baseball.