• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i told spark to make a road to the ashes thread. he didn't. all his fault.

This.

17 months ago David Warner was a "20/20 slogger" and Doug Bracewell averaged 45 with the ball in first class cricket.
in 17 months time he might average 45 again

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Warner is a talented one day slogger, who will get lucky once in a while at test level.

Lets not get too excited over one good knock (Phil Hughes mark 2?)
Can't agree. Warner is aggressive, yes, but has a pretty solid basic technique that allows him to play his shots. The lofted straight drives he played late on yesterday were proper quality cricket shots.

If one were being hyper critical there's a case he goes too hard at the ball sometimes and might nick off early on (his nascent test career seems to show he's v much a boom and bust kinda guy; goes early or gets in and scores seriously big), but there's no comparison with Hughes, whose technique is properly mental.

Swann has the most padded record in international cricket

FMD, he averages 40 against the worst Oz teams we've put in the field for 2 decades and does the same against shell-shocked India

Guy is a complete fraud and I almost gag every time I hear him referred to as "the world's best spinner" as it does nothing more than point out how low spinning stocks are
TBF it hardly makes him a fraud if it's a true statement (& I think it still just about is, The Spanish Archer's ascent notwithstanding) and, as others have said, bowling finger spin in Oz currently is a very tough gig.

Swann's a useful cricketer and he'll continue to do what he's done so far; chip in when the conditions don't suit and run through teams on the rare occasions when they do.

Flem274*

123/5
He still is mate, didn't you get the memo? The pitch he batted on this match is as flat as a pancake.
Haha, I always call batsmen wusses and insist pitches aren't anywhere near bowling friendly as others say they are (e.g. 2002 India vs NZ, one of the test pitches was hardly a greentop), but this pitch definitely had something in it for the bowlers, and Hobart was even better.

Though if you read the tour thread, Hobart flattened out when Brownlie scored his fifty, then unflattened out when Australia batted, only for it to flatten out again when Hughes and Warner cruised along, then unflattened out when Doug bowled his spell.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To be fair this is the India in Australia thread; I reckon it should be all in another thread myself but the people spoke when I suggested policing that more heavily, so... :p
Been an interesting discussion, particularly NUFAN's theory about Mitchell Johnson.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Over on the east coast the big cricket continues. Burgeinho update:

Senior debut today having turned 10 this week, owing to club absences. 40 over one day fixture.

Can report zero misfields, a pick up and direct hit from mid on (not out), bowled one over (got hit for one six but aside from that went only for singles (first bowl with a 156gm ball), and 0 not out from eight balls faced.

Was terrified of batting but came off the field claiming the number 10's dismissal "robbed me of a hundred".

One chuffed dad.
Haha. Awesome. Still remember my first proper game of cricket. And belated birthday wishes to your son.

Ruckus

International Captain
Though if you read the tour thread, Hobart flattened out when Brownlie scored his fifty, then unflattened out when Australia batted, only for it to flatten out again when Hughes and Warner cruised along, then unflattened out when Doug bowled his spell.
haha yeah sounds about right...

benchmark00

Can't agree. Warner is aggressive, yes, but has a pretty solid basic technique that allows him to play his shots. The lofted straight drives he played late on yesterday were proper quality cricket shots.

If one were being hyper critical there's a case he goes too hard at the ball sometimes and might nick off early on (his nascent test career seems to show he's v much a boom and bust kinda guy; goes early or gets in and scores seriously big), but there's no comparison with Hughes, whose technique is properly mental.
Yeah would agree with this wholeheartedly.

Compared to Sehwag, for example, Warner looks like Sachin Tendulkar in terms of technique.

He gets into really good positions, and knows his zones, which is the most important part of playing cricket. If he picks up a ball in his area he knows he can execute his shot and goes for it. That's not slogging, that's just picking your ball.

Slogging is pre-meditated.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner's more like Gilchrist tbh - he hits normal shots, he just hits them a tad harder than everyone else. Where others get 1/2 he gets four.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah would agree with this wholeheartedly.

Compared to Sehwag, for example, Warner looks like Sachin Tendulkar in terms of technique.

He gets into really good positions, and knows his zones, which is the most important part of playing cricket. If he picks up a ball in his area he knows he can execute his shot and goes for it. That's not slogging, that's just picking your ball.

Slogging is pre-meditated.
Yeah; completely AWTA. Warner creates safe scoring opportunities with his footwork.

benchmark00

Warner's more like Gilchrist tbh - he hits normal shots, he just hits them a tad harder than everyone else. Where others get 1/2 he gets four.
Wasn't saying Warner bats like Tendulkar ftr. Was just saying he's got a far better technique than a guy like Sehwag, who has been very successful.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah wasn't suggesting you were, just making a general point on the whole Warner vs. Sehwag thing. Gilchrist is a much better comparison in that he'll score at a ridiculous pace but look completely normal whilst doing it. Can remember plenty of Gilchrist innings where you wouldn't say he was batting in a particularly aggressive manner for him (as in not making an overt effort to play overly attacking shots), he just couldn't stop hitting boundaries so he ended up 100 (120) anyway, Warner will end up much the same IMO.

Last edited:

Subhadeep

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Even if Warner is the next Sehwag(which he is not, technically he is superior_ Sehwag never had any footwork), Australia could do with it, given the current situation. An opener who can take the game away from the opposition in a session and also has the knack of playing big knocks is a welcome addition to the line up. Only would like to see a Langer-like fellow with him, someone who can hold the other end. Watson is a bit too similar to Warner to open with him IMO.

benchmark00

Even if Warner is the next Sehwag(which he is not, technically he is superior_ Sehwag never had any footwork), Australia could do with it, given the current situation. An opener who can take the game away from the opposition in a session and also has the knack of playing big knocks is a welcome addition to the line up. Only would like to see a Langer-like fellow with him, someone who can hold the other end. Watson is a bit too similar to Warner to open with him IMO.
Ed Cowan perhaps...