• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even if they have improved which they probably have the fact remains England have a better bowling attack and Australia haven't rectified the batting problems so if Aussies start bowling us out we will just bowl them out cheaper anyway.
Australia potentially has a better bowling attack (Cummins, Pattinson and Starc are all potential greats - compare them at 18-21 to their English counterparts and there is, to be brutally honest, simply no comparison) but they are still kids

It's our batting that is a major worry

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umm, no. You can't say that at all frankly. England have a very good attack ATM but that's something Andy Roberts would and did say about the Windies attack in the 80s. This England attack is not in that league.
Not like we have a bunch of guys at the end of their careers though. The ashes series are only 17 months away so unless 4 or 5 get injured at once we will be able to put out a very good attack such is our depth at present. Your batting won't change that much from now and what is in the wings isn't all that great anyway.

Things may be entirely different in 4 years time though. Australia will be the team to remove England from number 1, of that I am certain. Just think 2013 is too soon for you.

flibbertyjibber

Australia potentially has a better bowling attack (Cummins, Pattinson and Starc are all potential greats - compare them at 18-21 to their English counterparts and there is, to be brutally honest, simply no comparison) but they are still kids

It's our batting that is a major worry
The batting and the injuries your bowlers get are massive concerns. To be fair Cummins and Pattinson look a notch or two above Starc.

Son Of Coco

The point is that it's dangerous to say 517-1 ---> can't bowl.
Now Siddle and Hilfenhaus are not as good as Anderson no matter how much Son of Coco will probably disagree but Siddle was actually pretty good in the Ashes despite a lack of support and Hilfenhaus is bowling much better now.
I don't disagree at all actually.

benchmark00

Not like we have a bunch of guys at the end of their careers though. The ashes series are only 17 months away so unless 4 or 5 get injured at once we will be able to put out a very good attack such is our depth at present. Your batting won't change that much from now and what is in the wings isn't all that great anyway.

Things may be entirely different in 4 years time though. Australia will be the team to remove England from number 1, of that I am certain. Just think 2013 is too soon for you.
Yeah, I mean what are the chances of a fast bowler getting injured?

social

The batting and the injuries your bowlers get are massive concerns. To be fair Cummins and Pattinson look a notch or two above Starc.
When "boys" are bowling at 150 clicks, it puts huge strain on their bodies

Having said that, Pattinson has an excellent action and build for a fast bowler so should be ok plus he seems smart

Cummins, on the other hand, has a dodgy action, a boy's physique and has hardly played

Basically, he's a huge talent but that's about anyone cane say about him at present

I have massive faith in Starc - good action, 6'6", swings it, quick, left-handed and has talent with the bat

As he inevitably gets quicker and more experienced, I can see him cleaning up a lot of lineups

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah because he was playing with Pattinson against NZ I didn't really notice until today/yesterday just how ****ing tall Starc is.

benchmark00

Massive pat on the back to the selectors for going with Starceh btw.

I think it was the obvious call, but in the past they wouldn't have done it.

flibbertyjibber

When "boys" are bowling at 150 clicks, it puts huge strain on their bodies

Having said that, Pattinson has an excellent action and build for a fast bowler so should be ok plus he seems smart

Cummins, on the other hand, has a dodgy action, a boy's physique and has hardly played

Basically, he's a huge talent but that's about anyone cane say about him at present

I have massive faith in Starc - good action, 6'6", swings it, quick, left-handed and has talent with the bat

As he inevitably gets quicker and more experienced, I can see him cleaning up a lot of lineups
We have been lucky with Finn that we have been able to let him develop playing for Middlesex, has gained an extra yard or two of pace judged by his ODI performances, needs to transfer that into test cricket when he gets a chance. He is still young but has more games under his belt. Think he will be a great for us long term.

morgieb

2013 is too early for Australia to win an Ashes series.

2015 though....most of our players will be nearing their peaks, whereas England's best will probably start declining by that time.

Uppercut

Massive pat on the back to the selectors for going with Starceh btw.

I think it was the obvious call, but in the past they wouldn't have done it.
Following Australia has been so much less infuriating since Hilditch left, he made me madder than a yak in heat.