• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
T.Greig is to cricket commentary what vinegar is to an open cut. He's nothing but a niggling, stinging pain.

Two instances have particularly rubbed me up wrong. One was this year's SF against Sri Lanka. He had the pom-poms out for SL big time, it was pathetic. Other was in the recent Test, when Tendulkar passed 50. He was pissing on about 'lock in 100, he's got it' etc - for no other reason than he believed it would put a jinx on it. Clear as day.

Offers nothing analytical, nothing apart from his usual tired old cliches I could tee up on my iPod via Billy Birmingham.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see the 12th Man's take on Mickey Mouse-Nicholas. I imagine most of it would be muffled through 'Clarkey's'..um...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
T.Greig is to cricket commentary what vinegar is to an open cut. He's nothing but a niggling, stinging pain.

Two instances have particularly rubbed me up wrong. One was this year's SF against Sri Lanka. He had the pom-poms out for SL big time, it was pathetic. Other was in the recent Test, when Tendulkar passed 50. He was pissing on about 'lock in 100, he's got it' etc - for no other reason than he believed it would put a jinx on it. Clear as day.

Offers nothing analytical, nothing apart from his usual tired old cliches I could tee up on my iPod via Billy Birmingham.

Which reminds me, I'd love to see the 12th Man's take on Mickey Mouse-Nicholas. I imagine most of it would be muffled through 'Clarkey's'..um...
During Muralitharan's last test, when his fellow commentator (don't remember who) was paying a tribute to Murali, Mr. Greig cut him short with his one-liner - "I think Chaminda Vaas did a far more difficult job for Sri Lankan cricket than Murali."

I felt like 'Oh crap! What'll he take to shut his ****ing mouth (and mind) and let the other guy speak!'

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
On the issue of Pattinson being too aggressive, and the journalists calling him out on it. I'm certainly surprised it's even an issue being discussed as I didn't see anything wrong with how both teams behaved last match. Love to see the kind of aggression Pattinson showed while bowling.

But then again, I come from a culture where Ice Hockey is considered to be quintessential. So I wouldn't mind a few gloves to be dropped either :p
He's getting called out on it? Wow. D.K Lillee once kicked and barged a bloke, yet he's a lord in their eyes (rightly so). I don't see that Pattinson has ever once gone way past the line. Bloke is aggressive, backs himself, brings something to Test cricket. 3 games in. Surely the Aussie media aren't in to him?

Media always wants to have it both ways. Don't want cliches but want to cut them down if they go too confident as well. Yuck

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
I think having aggressive players like Pattinson and Warner in the side is terrific and something we've been missing for a while.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Found his analysis of the first test pretty well spot on.
He does speak sense a lot of the time just he doesn't always get the point across as well as he might. In a way he is the other end of the scale to Boring Bob Willis who also speaks sense but you fall asleep before he finishes his first sentence most of the time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's getting called out on it? Wow. D.K Lillee once kicked and barged a bloke, yet he's a lord in their eyes (rightly so). I don't see that Pattinson has ever once gone way past the line. Bloke is aggressive, backs himself, brings something to Test cricket. 3 games in. Surely the Aussie media aren't in to him?

Media always wants to have it both ways. Don't want cliches but want to cut them down if they go too confident as well. Yuck
He's getting called out on it because the last time they were here India behaved like divas and the media here backed the hypocrite Kumble to the hilt. It's a joke if Pattinson is called out on anything he did in Melbourne and if the opposition don't like it (I haven't heard them say anything tbf) they can GAGF.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
During Muralitharan's last test, when his fellow commentator (don't remember who) was paying a tribute to Murali, Mr. Greig cut him short with his one-liner - "I think Chaminda Vaas did a far more difficult job for Sri Lankan cricket than Murali."

I felt like 'Oh crap! What'll he take to shut his ****ing mouth (and mind) and let the other guy speak!'
It'd take a West Indian to fire up and blast him out of the comm box, ala 5-0 post 'grovel'.

He's purely there as niggle. Nothing more. Offers nil.

howardj

International Coach
Watch people savage Lyon if he doesn't make a big contribution in Sydney and Adelaide. Media and fans are absolutely savage on spinners when they don't take wickets on 'traditionally' spinning decks. The number of spinners that Australia has dropped after a tour of India (a place where spinners are just expected to take bagfuls) is quite staggering. It's all to do with performance not aligning with expectation. Now, in all likelihood, Sydney will probably be more pace-friendly than spin-friendly, but it's just so ingrained that spinners are meant to take wickets in Sydney and to a lesser extent Adelaide that I think Lyon could be marked harshly unless he excels.