• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

adub

International Captain
Meh, didn't bother me. Sometimes you've got to send a message to the batsmen that they get on the front stool at their peril.

Refreshing to see a bit of **** about a fast bowler who can actually remotely back it up. Haven't seen that in Australia for a few years now.
Also haven't seen guys bowling good consistent line and length with a bit of movement in the air or off the pitch to get wickets from Australia for a few years now. Love a bit of **** too, but if upping the aggro reduces the wicket taking then I'm definitely anti. I worry that if Pattinson is losing his bottle (and length) when he's supposed to be wrapping up the tail after a massive collapse on the way to a big win, then what's he going to do when he finally has to bowl on a flat track against batsmen filling their boots?

Give me a cold blooded killer over a hot head brawler any day.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also haven't seen guys bowling good consistent line and length with a bit of movement in the air or off the pitch to get wickets from Australia for a few years now. Love a bit of **** too, but if upping the aggro reduces the wicket taking then I'm definitely anti. I worry that if Pattinson is losing his bottle (and length) when he's supposed to be wrapping up the tail after a massive collapse on the way to a big win, then what's he going to do when he finally has to bowl on a flat track against batsmen filling their boots?

That's where the captain comes in

Top_Cat

He's 21. If he's any good, he'll figure it out. Wishing for a cold blooded killer is all well and good but there's never been a fast bowler in history who started that way.

Like Burgey said, it's up to the captain and other experienced Test quicks to guide him from here. He's in the side, bowling quick and knocking ****s over. Now they can work on him. Stomping on that sort of behaviour right off the bat in any aspect of life, let alone cricket, is proven failure. Like I said, if he's any good, he'll get there himself.

I think it's fair to say we'd all rather not see him end up a like a nameless bossed-around, over-coached paralytic who's too afraid to speak let alone back his natural game called Johnson.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain

Pattinson will learn to control his aggression. He is obviously an extremely competitive person naturally, but you add to that the fact he is really young and just come onto the scene, and the immense success he has been enjoying so far and you'll have a bowler who goes a bit overboard sometimes. The more he comes to realise bowling less of the short stuff and more of the full stuff will work better for him, the less he will bowl of it (hopefully) and the less he'll find the need to adopt such intimidatory tactics.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Some classic Tony Greig tweets over the past few days:

"Leave a bit of grass on the pitch and Indian batsmen get the wobbles. This is why they are known as ‘flat track bullies"

"I do hope the Indian run chase is not spoiled by a bad decision - if it is who will be at fault umpires or BCCI?"

"Slack performance by Indian batsmen - pitch a bit too flirty for them."

What a man.
Heh, these are pretty entertaining. :laugh: Seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

I'm surprised the BCCI just hasn't flashed some cash in front of him, and asked him to commentate in the IPL. Reckon' he'd come running, and shut up for good. Although the anti-BCCI gang is definitely more entertaining than the pro-BCCI one.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This is actually an improvement for the man. I still remember his cringe-worthy "They'll be dancing in the streets of Calcutta!" days.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, these are pretty entertaining. :laugh: Seems to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

I'm surprised the BCCI just hasn't flashed some cash in front of him, and asked him to commentate in the IPL. Reckon' he'd come running, and shut up for good. Although the anti-BCCI gang is definitely more entertaining than the pro-BCCI one.
:laugh:

Agree wholeheartedly. A complete joker!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love if the likes of Nasser Hussain and Tony Greig are lured by some cash to commentate in the IPL.

Burgey

I'd love if the likes of Nasser Hussain and Tony Greig are lured by some cash to commentate in the IPL.
This attitude is an ample illustration of why India is the new monied trash of world cricket. They already pay Shastri and Gavaskar to toe the company line. Why would they need anyone else?

Spark

Global Moderator
He's 21. If he's any good, he'll figure it out. Wishing for a cold blooded killer is all well and good but there's never been a fast bowler in history who started that way.

Like Burgey said, it's up to the captain and other experienced Test quicks to guide him from here. He's in the side, bowling quick and knocking ****s over. Now they can work on him. Stomping on that sort of behaviour right off the bat in any aspect of life, let alone cricket, is proven failure. Like I said, if he's any good, he'll get there himself.

I think it's fair to say we'd all rather not see him end up a like a nameless bossed-around, over-coached paralytic who's too afraid to speak let alone back his natural game called Johnson.
Given the captain is Michael Clarke, don't think there's going to be any lack of encouragement for him to "play his natural game" tbh. Seems to be a mantra of his.

Burgey

Given the captain is Michael Clarke, don't think there's going to be any lack of encouragement for him to "play his natural game" tbh. Seems to be a mantra of his.
Clarke was in his ear after he got Dravid out about the way he was bowling tbf. Guess we have to wait and see.

Spark

Global Moderator
Meh, didn't bother me. Sometimes you've got to send a message to the batsmen that they get on the front stool at their peril.

Refreshing to see a bit of **** about a fast bowler who can actually remotely back it up. Haven't seen that in Australia for a few years now.
this, so much.

Redbacks

International Captain
Someone explain to me how what Pattinson did was any different to what Zaheer does in staring at batsmen and talking, only from 15 metres closer because he has a follow through.
As Tomas has noted (or it may have been me four years ago), we have very nice guests ATM, til things go awry for them, then they smear **** all over the bathroom walls in a tanty.
reckon it depends on results and the tall poppy syndrome. It's an easy well for our journos to visit, if we were losing they would just say 'concentrate on the game rocky.'

Seeing Sri Lanka celebrate last night still brings back the memories of the ridiculous **** that our team was smeared with after celebrating the win in Sydney 08.

Last edited: