• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

Briony

International Debutant
Doubt it. We only sack people when they're bowlers.

Interestingly enough though, most of SA's recent losses can be put down to its batsmen. How can the skipper be blamed for this?

Rudolph, Boucher and Prince are different matters though. If the coach wanted to make the brave decisions, releasing this trio can only attempt to take the team forward.

Briony

International Debutant
Kepler Wessels prior to the game saying South Africa A could beat Sri Lanka. Oh dear. Its guys like Kepler that breeds the overconfidence and faux superiority complex a lot of the South African cricketers have. Remarkably Kepler and co. were talking about how straight forward the tour to NZ would be, at the same moment South Africa were 6 down for nothing in the second innings and on their way to a 200 run defeat.
And he was also rattling on with words to the effect that Steyn might be rested for the last test which will be a dead rubber.

As for the NZ series, if there's bite in the pitches, the kiwi batsmen will certainly be tested but so too will be the SA guys. The Proteas have a brittle middle-order, flaky opening partnerships and a dire tail. If the Kiwi quicks have something to exploit and get lucky with the toss, you wouldn't rule them out beating SA. If NZ can have a rare win against the Aussies away they can certainly beat the inconsistent Proteas on home soil.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But you're a participant of your environment, and Paul Collingwood played test cricket, so should be judged on that.

So by your rational, Paul Collingwood was nowhere near being a handy bowler because he had a bowling average of 60.

More to knowing what a handy bowler is than looking at cricinfo stats mate.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But you're a participant of your environment, and Paul Collingwood played test cricket, so should be judged on that.

So by your rational, Paul Collingwood was nowhere near being a handy bowler because he had a bowling average of 60.

More to knowing what a handy bowler is than looking at cricinfo stats mate.
I think it's fair to say that Elgar is a handy First Class bowler; but he's unlikely to be a handy Test bowler based on what he's done so far with the gap in quality. On your point about watching players bowl; I don't reckon anyone who nominated Elgar due to bowling has actually seen him bowl much tbh.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's fair to say that Elgar is a handy First Class bowler; but he's unlikely to be a handy Test bowler based on what he's done so far with the gap in quality. On your point about watching players bowl; I don't reckon anyone who nominated Elgar due to bowling has actually seen him bowl much tbh.
No my point about looking at cricinfo is that there's more to being a handy bowler than just looking at an average.

Collingwood was handy because he bowled a few cheap overs and gave the pace bowlers a rest, his job wasn't to neccessarily pick up wickets, that was just an added bonus.

Elgar, who I'm not familiar with at all, may be handy because he gives Steyn and co a rest, or he might be handy because he's good to left handers etc etc.

Migara

International Coach
It's heartening to see Saffers hopping around against SL bowlers. It was SL batsmen who were dished the stuff by Donalds and Pollocks. Malinga dished some nasty stuff in the last home series. Now Dilhara doing the same.

SL should play Prasad next match. SAf batsmen are clearly shaken by the pace, bounce and unpredictability of Fernando, and Prasad only will add to the woes.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Superb stuff Sri Lanka. My hearty congratulations! Great job from Samaraweera and Sangakkara, Herath and Welegedara and Chandimal. Jayawardene is just one match away from a good knock. You guys have properly stuffed those who call you a bunch of FTBs. The more they'll play in countries like Australia and South Africa, the more they'll prove their worth.

:thumbup1:

smash84

The Tiger King
well done SL.....

lol @ Saffers.......

tbf I don't think many people were predicting this outcome. Keppler Wessels clearly living in another world