• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in South Africa 2011/12

MrPrez

International Debutant
Kuhn and Elgar could swap around I guess.

A guy on another forum I frequent said that any keeper - provincial, club or street - is better than Boucher! Another said he's the best batsman-keeper in the world. Honestly...

Len_SA

Cricket Spectator
So the curse of Durban strikes again..... Great win for Sri Lanka. Outplayed SA all around and was a well deserved victory.
Very disappointing from SA. I don't think they will make too many changes for CT though. Alviro in for Prince and Philander replacing either De Lange or Morkel.

Migara

International Coach
SL will need some changes in next match. Expect a green seamer next time, so play the nastiest fast bowlers. Prasad for Perera.

SeamUp

International Coach
Are people really advocating picking a player because of 27 wickets @ 50?!
If you are referring to Dean Elgar, he is an opening batsman and part-time bowler but if we produce a green seamer which will be difficult with the weather around, but if we do and AB plays as keeper and we play no frontline spinner then Duminy and Elgar both bowl handy part-time spin.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
27 wickets at 50 is someway off what I'd be calling handy.

Handy is something like a Samit Patel.
He is better than the stats suggest, he just doesn't bowl anywhere near enough in the longer version. He bowls a bit in the shorter version but not enough as well.

Elgar is a little shrewdy as well, a very clever cricketer and big chance he could be SA's next test captain as there is only really 3 years between Smith and AB and he uses his brain very well when he does bowl.

Anyways he won't be required to bowl too much if we go with a seamer and if we have Duminy.

It was just if spin was required, he won't get you a five-for but he could chip in with the odd wicket now and again.

SeamUp

International Coach
Its all immaterial anyway

South Africa squad
Graeme Smith (capt), Jacques Rudolph, Hashim Amla, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, Ashwell Prince, Alvrio Petersen, Mark Boucher (wk), Vernon Philander, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Imran Tahir, Marchant de Lange.

Rudolph, Prince put on notice for decider

Jacques Rudolph and Ashwell Prince, the two most under-pressure South Africa batsman, have been put on notice after Alviro Petersen was retained in the squad for the deciding Test against Sri Lanka in Cape Town, following the visitors' historic series-levelling victory in Durban. But the selectors have resisted more dramatic changes despite the hosts being bowled out for 168 and 241.

Rudolph was recalled to the Test side against Australia after an absence of nearly five years but, in four matches since, has failed to take his opportunity with a top score of 44 from seven innings. Prince has managed one Test half-century this season and a useful 39 in Centurion, but endured a poor match in Durban with 11 and 7 which included falling to the reverse-sweep in the first innings. He then was involved in a horrid mix-up that resulted in Hashim Amla's run-out on the fourth day.

One option available for South Africa is to move Rudolph down the order and recall Petersen to accompany Graeme Smith in the opening partnership. Petersen certainly has form behind him after scoring 115 for the Lions in the current round of SuperSport series matches and has made 659 runs at 59.90 this season. However, Smith warned against any knee-jerk response to the 208-run defeat at Kingsmead. "A good reflection and good solid decisions are needed, not emotional ones," he said.

Elsewhere the selectors will have to decide how to accommodate Vernon Philander back in the team after he made good progress from the knee injury he picked up on the eve of the second Test. With Marchant de Lange having taken 7 for 81 on debut it will require a tough call over who to leave out although Morne Morkel has been below his best in the series. "It will come down to a tactical decision," Smith said. "To have the stocks is great. It's a nice challenge to have. The selectors like to remain consistent."

Smith, though, indicated his desire for the selectors to resist any temptation to field an all-pace attack and leave out Imran Tahir despite the legspinner being considerably outbowled by Rangana Herath at Kingsmead. Durban was the first time Tahir had been severely tested in the first innings of a Test and, unlike his predecessor Paul Harris, didn't always offer Smith control.

"It's the first game that Imran has had a good bowl," Smith said. "He is developing every game. He is still an exciting option for us and I would like to see the selectors stick with that for as long as possible."

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hit the road Jacques, and don't you come back no more no more no more no more

(Come back to county cricket, we still love you)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
About not losing a review when the orig decision stands on an "umpire's call".

I don't have a problem with it, myself. We all know UDRS isn't 100% and I still think it should be used to rectify the clearly wrong calls rather than very marginal LBWs.
Oh, in that case I agree and it's a point that's been made numerous times before. Assumed it'd be something new :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Selectors showing as much bottle as the South African batsman. Smith, Hudson and co. are in a fairly good position however as most of the CSA board are implicated in a corruption scandal, therefore guys like Majola don’t want the added press coverage. Sure they would want to sack Smith after this though. Position is untenable.

Word was Smith was going to resign but that seems just talk. Don't think AB is test captaincy material. Reminds me of Mickey Arthur in the way he talks about the game and Mickey Arthur comes across as a bit of a prat. Steyn for captain? Can't question his stomach for the fight.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kepler Wessels prior to the game saying South Africa A could beat Sri Lanka. Oh dear. Its guys like Kepler that breeds the overconfidence and faux superiority complex a lot of the South African cricketers have. Remarkably Kepler and co. were talking about how straight forward the tour to NZ would be, at the same moment South Africa were 6 down for nothing in the second innings and on their way to a 200 run defeat.

SeamUp

International Coach
Kepler Wessels prior to the game saying South Africa A could beat Sri Lanka. Oh dear. Its guys like Kepler that breeds the overconfidence and faux superiority complex a lot of the South African cricketers have. Remarkably Kepler and co. were talking about how straight forward the tour to NZ would be, at the same moment South Africa were 6 down for nothing in the second innings and on their way to a 200 run defeat.
On paper, South Africa should beat Sri Lanka and New Zealand easily though and thats not being arrogant. Especially Sri Lanka at home as New Zealand hasn't been our best touring places at times due to the slowness of the tracks. But as we all know its got to be done on grass as its not played on paper. But I for one moment don't believe the SA players don't respect each and every individual they play against. Their intensity levels may have dropped off big-time during certain ocassions in the last few home series but I don't think thats due disrepsect for the opposition or thinking they are better but more to do with their impatience and the wanting to score runs all the time due to the lack of proper cricket and too much T20 cricket and tbh they have lost that graft we saw on our tours to Pakistan, England, India and Australia where we were so successful.

Its been so weird how we have won first test matches at a relative canter against Australia, India and Sri Lanka and then the next test the bad sessions are VERY bad. Bar the England series where we had to win the last but we were dominant in the two drawn tests and were a whisker away from winning them both.

Kepler is Kepler, you either like him or you don't...I personally used to hate him but he is very knowledgeable of the game and I enjoy him from time to time.

Over time, what would your South Africa test team look like, TT?

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Have absolutely no time for Kepler Wessels. Pimple on the arse of cricket.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Steyn for captain? Can't question his stomach for the fight.
BEST. IDEA. EVER. The pitch would ooze testosterone as the match wears on.

I also dislike the idea of De Villiers as captain. I know Amla doesn't want to be captain, but come on, he is the only one with the correct CV, apart from Kallis. AB just doesn't give the idea that he has any leadership.

Kepler is a ****.

Last edited: