• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

Ruckus

International Captain
Bowling too aggressively to Laxman is a mistake IMO. You'll know after about six balls if he's in the mood. Just think you stick to your plans and bowl tight.

And if ****s bowl short, hook them.
Yeah that's probably true. Fortunately though being attacking and keeping things tight aren't always mutually exclusive. Pattinson was the most consistent in bowling the more full length and also easily had the best economy. If Siddle can keep doing what he did in the last few overs, I'm certain he'll be able to get the ball to nip back frequently like he did when he bowled Tendulkar. And if he can do that the batsmen will just want to see him off, and the runs will dry up.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowling too aggressively to Laxman is a mistake IMO. You'll know after about six balls if he's in the mood. Just think you stick to your plans and bowl tight.

And if ****s bowl short, hook them.
Laxman actually got out hooking a lot in England. But I still agree.

Burgey

Jeez, watching the replay now. Siddle's last spell really was a beauty. Last over very rapid.

Uppercut

Ah sorry, I meant for Clarke to hook them off if they drop short. Not the best phraseology on my part.
Haha yeah that's what I thought you meant. I mean that I still think it's a bad tactic even though it's done for Laxman quite often lately.

Uppercut

Yeah, in England Laxman was done in by bad, lazy batting when he was out hooking.
I think it was a flaw in his instincts that he must have worked on since. He sort of spasmodically flicked back-of-a-length balls high into the air several times, finding the fielder twice.

In any case, it only worked because it was used sparingly as a surprise tactic. And the balls he got out to weren't even that short. Attacking the stumps is the way to go since he has no front foot game, although it's trickier on such a bouncy pitch- perhaps that's why he's always done so well in Australia.

benchmark00

The problem/awesome thing with Laxman is that you can attack the stumps but he'll just whip you from off stump towards the on-side all day. And normally that would be good for the bowling team because he's playing against the line of the ball, but he's so good at it. Then when you set a 4/5 field to him he'll decide to take you through the covers.

Would be a bowling side's worst nightmare when in form. Can't bowl to the ****. Just gotta hope he gets out.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India definitely ahead, I think the whole batting last thing is a myth when you've a drop-in pitch - at least given the relatively short history of drop-in pitches and I don't think it'll bother India to chase a total down - maybe if it was a choking team like South Africa then it would be a factor. I also think you'd rather bowl first generally, I'm surprised Clarke chose to bat yesterday.

Anyway could definitely do with a collapse early up tomorrow to even things out. Australia seemed to create a lot of near misses going through the commentary, so I'd be surprised if India got a really big lead.

Uppercut

India definitely ahead, I think the whole batting last thing is a myth when you've a drop-in pitch - at least given the relatively short history of drop-in pitches and I don't think it'll bother India to chase a total down - maybe if it was a choking team like South Africa then it would be a factor. I also think you'd rather bowl first generally, I'm surprised Clarke chose to bat yesterday.

Anyway could definitely do with a collapse early up tomorrow to even things out. Australia seemed to create a lot of near misses going through the commentary, so I'd be surprised if India got a really big lead.
Ironically, South Africa are really good at chasing in the fourth innings.

It's been a funny game, the quality of bowling has fluctuated wildly from both sides. Australia started out bowling really well, went to pieces when the first change bowlers came on, then perked up brilliantly when Pattinson came back into the attack. Then when Tendulkar arrived at the crease they fed him all kinds of crap after tea, but came back well to end the day strongly.

India are clearly on top and I see no reason to believe that batting will be more difficult in the fourth innings than the third. But if Australia (or just Pattinson) can translate one of their spells of quality bowling into a bunch of wickets it'll be game on. India, on the other hand, are only a couple of good partnerships away from killing the game off.

It's the sign of a great game of cricket when your reaction to every session is to think, "the next session will be crucial".