• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

adub

International Captain
I'm just happy that most of the Copeland talk has gone quiet lately.
Yeah the wickets have really dried up for him. You can go for 2 rpo all day long, but unless your picking up your share of poles you're not helping win much.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nev:
NSW v SA, comes in at 5/95, soon enough 6/97, scores 82 to get us up to 217, backs it up with 28 not in the 2nd innings to force the draw.

NSW v Vic, comes in at 5/87, scores 30 to get us to 201, Backs up with 43 in the 2nd dig.

NSW v Qld, comes in at 6/142 and tops scores with 69 to get us up to 277. Backs up with 2nd top score of 35 in 2nd dig coming in at 6/59 to support SOK and almost get us home.

NSW v WA, handy 24 not, though not under any pressure. 15 off 13 in the 2nd coming in at 2/29 as we're chasing run a ball to win.

NSW v Tas, comes in at 4/41 and saves the day again with 112 not. Adds 28 in the second dig to help salvage the draw.

Wade:
Vic v Tas, comes in at 4/140, scores 108 (next best 54) to get Vics to 308, comes in at 3/10 in the second dig and top scores with 80 (only Hussey's 74 over 10) to give Vics match winning lead.

Vic v WA, comes in at 4/126 and adds 29, backs up with 2nd top score of 60 after coming in at 5/80 to help get Vics to what should have been a match winning lead.

Vic v Qld, solid 38 not supporting McDonald and Maxwell going the tonk. DNB in the 2nd.

I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find Tim Paine making similarly consistent runs in dire spots than either of these two. Not saying he's no good, but I think we can do #betterthanPaine.
I'm not saying Wade doesn't score runs in difficult circumstances at Shield level. He absolutely does, and he's absolutely a better batsman than Paine. But I imagine he'd also have more failures than Paine if you looked into that, and as I said I wouldn't be completely adverse to the idea of picking someone technically adept and consistent at seven even if they were less likely to hit a ton and not as good a batsman overall.

Nevill's different, but I don't think he'd be in contention anyway.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's actually bit funny with wade and paine. wade's really stepped up in a couple of shield finals, which selectors usually love, while paine hasn't got to play in one.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah the wickets have really dried up for him. You can go for 2 rpo all day long, but unless your picking up your share of poles you're not helping win much.
And this is the exact reason why I didn't want him in the Test team.

When we had Johnson, a wicket taker (:laugh:) in the team, someone like a Copeland wasn't an absolutely terrible option, but moving forward he just never looked like he'd have much of a Test match career at all.

I'm no expert on fast bowlers (or medium pacers) but Copeland's release of the ball is odd and I think it makes him bowl slower. Has anyone noticed this?

Just a quick question too, has Brad Haddin retired from ODIs or is it just T20? I'm wondering if the selectors will find it easier to drop Haddin and Ponting from the ODI squads..

Burgey

I thought forums were for venting not making useful contributions.
Not directed at you mate, just saying it's obvious he'll play come Boxing Day. The stats you listed tell the story with him ATM, there's no doubt.

He's had such a storied career, it's an incredible slide really.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's actually bit funny with wade and paine. wade's really stepped up in a couple of shield finals, which selectors usually love, while paine hasn't got to play in one.
Think what you like about Healy's commentating but the guy was a great wk and he mentioned a couple of weeks ago that he had no idea why Paine was the annointed successor as there were others with at least the same credentials/potential

Spikey

we should pick Nev before Wade just so we can really, really piss off the victorians

Top_Cat

Haddin counts, just as much a **** as the average Victorian tbh.

Last edited: