• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2011/12

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Nice, accurate summary Adub (post 216).

I'm not sure it's wise having Harris saved as the injury backup though, we'll need a backup for him too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You know it's funny; I've felt Paine to be over-rated ever since he played those Tests in India and everyone jumped on the bandwagon (I was actually always a big fan of him before then, more just as a cricketer with potential though), but over the last couple of weeks I've started to think that it might not be such a bad idea to have him in the side over Wade once Haddin goes if he's fit. He's not as good an overall batsman as Haddin or Wade but I've been coming more and more around to the idea that Australia don't need someone who can score big runs from #7, but more someone who can score consistent runs at #7. Paine gets a lot of starts due to his tight technique but doesn't convert due to only God knows why but having consistent 30s from the position would probably be more beneficial in preventing collapses than having a North-like creature there. And as soon as I start entertaining those thoughts, the news of his injury complication hits; can't take a trick.

Or we could just pick Nev who does both. :p
Or pick Crosswaite who can sock a few dingers!

Sylvester

State Captain
You know it's funny; I've felt Paine to be over-rated ever since he played those Tests in India and everyone jumped on the bandwagon (I was actually always a big fan of him before then, more just as a cricketer with potential though), but over the last couple of weeks I've started to think that it might not be such a bad idea to have him in the side over Wade once Haddin goes if he's fit. He's not as good an overall batsman as Haddin or Wade but I've been coming more and more around to the idea that Australia don't need someone who can score big runs from #7, but more someone who can score consistent runs at #7. Paine gets a lot of starts due to his tight technique but doesn't convert due to only God knows why but having consistent 30s from the position would probably be more beneficial in preventing collapses than having a North-like creature there. And as soon as I start entertaining those thoughts, the news of his injury complication hits; can't take a trick.

Was going to mention Nev until you brought his name up. There really is no reason why Paine should be a shoe in for the spot. In Nevill and Wade we have any excuses the selectors can come up with covered well apart from the captaincy thing but that is for another thread.

Spikey

just quietly, hughes deserves a pass for the 2nd innings of the 1st test in SL, and Ponting a fail for the same innings. it could have been a 9/21 after watson and ponting's dumb batting!

nev nev nev nev nev

Ponting will play because he has a godly record against India at home and absolutely nothing in his batting has changed since 2003 except his form.
well ponting used to have an amazing conversion rate and now he has a dire, dire one.

Top_Cat

Doesn't even have a conversion rate any more. Need to get to 50 before talking about what happens after.

howardj

International Coach
While an unlucky one for Paine, it certainly is a lucky break for Haddin - as the Keeper's spot is seen more as a reign than as a selection matter. Once you're on that throne, you're there until you drop. Hence they may be reluctant to coronate Wade, fearing Paine may be locked out for good.

Last edited:

Spikey

I dunno know. It's pretty obvious they were waiting for Paine to get fit. But now he's not playing until what March? I mean you can't consider him for tests for ages and ages and ages. So it might mean they move on, and give Wade a shot. And well that can happen right now can't it

Doesn't even have a conversion rate any more. Need to get to 50 before talking about what happens after.
He's made 2 fifties in the last few tests! he's back in form.......

15 fifties and 2 hundreds since 2009 is enough to say he's lost it.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
The State versus Ricky Ponting

My closing addresss....

Of his past 17 innings, 11 have been 16 or under.

His past seven series averages have been 24, 24, 56, 16, 31, 17 and 33 – so that’s one series where he has averaged over 33

This calendar year he is averaging 24

The two calendar years before this, he averaged in the 30s.

So they are picking Ponting on a memory of what he was like three years ago…they’re certainly not picking him based on his performance during that period.

He is 37 years of age – do you get better at that age?

It beggars belief - considering guys like Border, Healy, SWaugh and even McGrath were given ‘the tap’ from the selectors – that they haven’t ‘called time’ on Ponting.

We keep picking the same failed batsmen – Ponting, Hussey (averaging 12 in the last two series) and Haddin – and keep getting the same results; the same batting collapses.

Look what’s happened when we’ve gone young with guys like Cummins, Pattinson and Warner…those guys have been man of the match in our last three Tests.

Moreover, young guys have scope for improvement in a way that guys in their mid 30s simply do not. At that age, bar Tendulkar, you generally decline or at best stagnate.

He's been a great servant, but Ponting (and at least one of Hussey and Haddin) has to go… right now!

The selectors have to be cut-throat, they have to be strong and put the team first.

Spikey

still think the most damning stat is the 50's v 100's. cause i mean for it proves he's not in bad form, he's in a decline. i mean you can't really say a 100 will change everything like good ole bad form.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would have thought the main stats are:

Since 1 Jan 2007 he averages 39.21
Since 1 Jan 2008 he averages 39.26
Since 1 Jan 2009 he averages 35.61
Since 1 Jan 2010 he averages 33.51
Since 1 Jan 2011 he averages 26.63

Surely there are domestic batsmen who can at least equal that.

Zinzan

The State versus Ricky Ponting

My closing addresss....

Of his past 17 innings, 11 have been 16 or under.

His past seven series averages have been 24, 24, 56, 16, 31, 17 and 33 – so that’s one series where he has averaged over 33

This calendar year he is averaging 24

The two calendar years before this, he averaged in the 30s.

So they are picking Ponting on a memory of what he was like three years ago…they’re certainly not picking him based on his performance during that period.

He is 37 years of age – do you get better at that age?

It beggars belief - considering guys like Border, Healy, SWaugh and even McGrath were given ‘the tap’ from the selectors – that they haven’t ‘called time’ on Ponting.

We keep picking the same failed batsmen – Ponting, Hussey (averaging 12 in the last two series) and Haddin – and keep getting the same results; the same batting collapses.

Look what’s happened when we’ve gone young with guys like Cummins, Pattinson and Warner…those guys have been man of the match in our last three Tests.

Moreover, young guys have scope for improvement in a way that guys in their mid 30s simply do not. At that age, bar Tendulkar, you generally decline or at best stagnate.

He's been a great servant, but Ponting (and at least one of Hussey and Haddin) has to go… right now!

The selectors have to be cut-throat, they have to be strong and put the team first.
^ This is all good & well, of course the only problem is barring Clarke, none of the Aussie batsmen have really fired a shot in the last month or so.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
still think the most damning stat is the 50's v 100's.
You should make some posts about it then IMO; haven't seen that stat mentioned by you at all... :p

cause i mean for it proves he's not in bad form, he's in a decline.
I don't necessarily agree. You could say it proves he's not just "not hitting them well" but poor form can be more than that; I think it's often more psychological than anything (not saying that's the case with Ponting ftr).

The thing about all these Ponting stats is that, as Burgey said, we all know. No-one is going to stand up and say Ponting's performances over the last two years have been acceptable, but that's obviously not the only factor.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
running with it until everyone else picks it up ala Siddle and MJ can't play in the same team tbh
That was so frustrating. It could have been Mitch and Clarke can't be in the same team, or anyone else. It was all Johnson's fault.

I'm just happy that most of the Copeland talk has gone quiet lately.

adub

International Captain

Nev:
NSW v SA, comes in at 5/95, soon enough 6/97, scores 82 to get us up to 217, backs it up with 28 not in the 2nd innings to force the draw.

NSW v Vic, comes in at 5/87, scores 30 to get us to 201, Backs up with 43 in the 2nd dig.

NSW v Qld, comes in at 6/142 and tops scores with 69 to get us up to 277. Backs up with 2nd top score of 35 in 2nd dig coming in at 6/59 to support SOK and almost get us home.

NSW v WA, handy 24 not, though not under any pressure. 15 off 13 in the 2nd coming in at 2/29 as we're chasing run a ball to win.

NSW v Tas, comes in at 4/41 and saves the day again with 112 not. Adds 28 in the second dig to help salvage the draw.

Wade:
Vic v Tas, comes in at 4/140, scores 108 (next best 54) to get Vics to 308, comes in at 3/10 in the second dig and top scores with 80 (only Hussey's 74 over 10) to give Vics match winning lead.

Vic v WA, comes in at 4/126 and adds 29, backs up with 2nd top score of 60 after coming in at 5/80 to help get Vics to what should have been a match winning lead.

Vic v Qld, solid 38 not supporting McDonald and Maxwell going the tonk. DNB in the 2nd.

I reckon you'd be hard pressed to find Tim Paine making similarly consistent runs in dire spots than either of these two. Not saying he's no good, but I think we can do #betterthanPaine.