• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't watch the Ashes last year?
Surprisingly, considering no international cricket or rugby union has consistently been live on free-to-air TV in NZ for at least 10 years, the Ashes weren't beamed live on free-to-air in NZ last year...

And Sky TV is a luxury for many (well, those of us who don't get an allowance from work to pay for it... :cool: )

trapol

U19 12th Man
Of course I'm wrong. Perhaps you should check out the YouTube video posted above.

Well done I tried to link it but you beat me too it. His fastest ball was 129km. So maybe you are correct as he can't even hit 130km!

On top of that I have actually had Hadlee tell me to my face that he bowled 140+ or as he said it 88mph in that 1979 comp. I didn't have the balls to say I'd watched it and 88mph so certainly wasn't

1979 equals Hadlee as a tearaway well before he shortened his run up. He was never anything more than Medium.

Don't let the fact that he was an absolute gun bowler cloud that fact.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Of course I'm wrong. Perhaps you should check out the YouTube video posted above.

Well done I tried to link it but you beat me too it. His fastest ball was 129km. So maybe you are correct as he can't even hit 130km!

On top of that I have actually had Hadlee tell me to my face that he bowled 140+ or as he said it 88mph in that 1979 comp. I didn't have the balls to say I'd watched it and 88mph so certainly wasn't

1979 equals Hadlee as a tearaway well before he shortened his run up. He was never anything more than Medium.

Don't let the fact that he was an absolute gun bowler cloud that fact.
Actually there is a lot of debate about the sorts of speeds being recorded with that method. And I've read that you should basically add 10km/h to those speeds.

Personally I'm not going to weigh in on it at all, but Hadlee was there as an entrant in the fastest bowler in the world competition and those were the times recorded.

trapol

U19 12th Man
The only way that's even remotely viable is if the measured the speeds off the pitch. But as we know from all the coverage over the last few years the ball decreases by a lot more than 10kph after pitching

On top of that Thomsons fastest ball was a Beamer that hit 147. So how do you add 10kph to that when it didn't bounce?

Athlai

Not Terrible
The only way that's even remotely viable is if the measured the speeds off the pitch. But as we know from all the coverage over the last few years the ball decreases by a lot more than 10kph after pitching

On top of that Thomsons fastest ball was a Beamer that hit 147. So how do you add 10kph to that when it didn't bounce?
Because that isn't how modern fast bowlers are actually measured? It's more accurate though assuming the camera has an exceptional frame rate.

The "highly accurate" speed guns (which are what we still use today) of the day had recorded the likes of Thommo at 160.

trapol

U19 12th Man
I'm calling BS on that one... Thomson was never 160 even if he said so...

That's just my opinion though.

I personally believe he was the quickest around but there was no one else so he appeared quicker...

No helmets, where the keeper is standing indicates to me that he wasn't 160 like Lee, Akhtar, Tait etc...

Fully happy to except that this is just an opinion base post with nothing scientific to back it up.

But can you honestly say that you watched the 1979 speedball comp and thought the bowlers were quick? Quite the opposite actually

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I would agree that people tend to let their nostalgia run away with them on the subject of fast bowlers a teensy bit. Not every single great "fast" bowler was express - they were all certainly brisk, but more importantly were very good bowlers in all the other aspects of bowling skill.

DWTA partially though. Thommo was just straight ****ing fast by all accounts.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hah, when anything comes from Thommo's mouth about what he could do, one should definitely consider the source but there's objective evidence for his 160.45Km/h; he was actually clocked that quick. Argue with the method if you know anything about it but there's no arguing with that.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No helmets, where the keeper is standing indicates to me that he wasn't 160 like Lee, Akhtar, Tait etc...
For the record, Brett Lee was always a touch behind Tait & Akhtar on the speed charts. Lee & Bond were 155 tops, whereas Tait & Akhtar ramped it up to 160 on occasions

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm calling BS on that one... Thomson was never 160 even if he said so...

That's just my opinion though.

I personally believe he was the quickest around but there was no one else so he appeared quicker...

Fully happy to except that this is just an opinion base post with nothing scientific to back it up.

But can you honestly say that you watched the 1979 speedball comp and thought the bowlers were quick? Quite the opposite actually
WTF?

I suggest you look at tapes of early Lillee, Roberts, Holding, Imran when he first decided to bowl quick etc - all of those guys were incredibly rapid

I've personally witnessed Thommo bouncers hit the fence at the SCG and the sight-screen at Banstown Oval (roughly the same size as the SCG) before bouncing again

Sorry, but that doesnt happen unless the guy is bowling incredibly quickly