• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not the president of his fan club but why all the hate for McKay? I think I know - because most people just read off scorecards and are habitual knee-jerkers.

Taylor dropped a sitter at slip off McKay, when Waller was on 44. He takes that, Zimbabwe lose, McKay has 3-48 off 7. Not incredible figures but respectable.

Three matches ago, McKay bowled outstandingly in a World Cup semi. This after being flown over there 3/4 days before, on a pitch that didn't suit him against some pretty classy opposition.

He averages 27 with the ball at 5.24 an over - hardly whopping RPO for a guy of his pace.

Yes he bowls some wayward spells but he's in my side, the one I picked on a wider-minded viewpoint.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not the president of his fan club but why all the hate for McKay? I think I know - because most people just read off scorecards and are habitual knee-jerkers.

Taylor dropped a sitter at slip off McKay, when Waller was on 44. He takes that, Zimbabwe lose, McKay has 3-48 off 7. Not incredible figures but respectable.

Three matches ago, McKay bowled outstandingly in a World Cup semi. This after being flown over there 3/4 days before, on a pitch that didn't suit him against some pretty classy opposition.

He averages 27 with the ball at 5.24 an over - hardly whopping RPO for a guy of his pace.

Yes he bowls some wayward spells but he's in my side, the one I picked on a wider-minded viewpoint.
Don't think many people think McKay is terrible apart from Howsie.

But a lot, including myself, don't think he's a good ODI bowler and is unlikely to become one. Bowling with a bit of pace but no control and without a very good slower ball is a recipe for disaster on modern flat ODI pitches. I think he was at the very top of his game and got a touch lucky in that World Cup semifinal. Two other NZ test bowlers who struggle in ODIs are Chris Martin and Iain O'Brien - it's hard for me to see how he could reach even the ODI standard that they set as they both have better control than McKay.

In tests am with-holding judgment and hoping he does well. It would be good to have someone a bit older around to give Southee a hand once Martin retires.

Mike5181

International Captain
17 of those wickets have come from either Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. He's in my test team but once our first choice bowlers Southee, Mills etc are back he shouldn't be in the one day side.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Don't think many people think McKay is terrible apart from Howsie.

But a lot, including myself, don't think he's a good ODI bowler and is unlikely to become one. Bowling with a bit of pace but no control and without a very good slower ball is a recipe for disaster on modern flat ODI pitches. .
This.

FFS, as well as Zimbabwe played, this shouldn't happen if New Zealand want to be taken seriously as an ODI force.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
17 of those wickets have come from either Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. He's in my test team but once our first choice bowlers Southee, Mills etc are back he shouldn't be in the one day side.
I don't disagree. I'm guessing Boult is the guy people want instead? I haven't seen him bowl over the last 18 months so I've no no idea why he was contracted, then not picked for any of the formats in Zimbabwe.

I think that loss shows how sorely we miss Vettori. If he'd bowled ten overs 0-40, as we expect he would have, it would've created a tremendous squeeze on the batsmen elsewhere. As it was, they could score freely off all but Oram. Not that Woodcock deserves any vitriol, he'll get better.

Flem274*

123/5
Mills
Southee
Oram
McKay/Bennett/Bracewell/Aldridge/whoever we end up picking
McCullum

Should go a lot better. I thought Taylor taking Aldridge off during his first spell was a tactical mistake, since he was killing the Zimbabwean run rate at his end.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Mills
Southee
Oram
McCullum

Should go a lot better. I thought Taylor taking Aldridge off during his first spell was a tactical mistake, since he was killing the Zimbabwean run rate at his end.
Perhaps Bates for ODIs/T20s? Has been impressive in the few T20s I've seen him in anyway.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Mills
Southee
Oram
McCullum

Aye. Looks like Aldridge is much like Mills: bowl as much as his overs up front as possible.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of Mills' fitness for five days cricket, he's out of reckoning for the Zimbabwe test before bowling a ball. Feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

So I guess it will be a debut for Bracewell or Aldridge then. I know which one I'd prefer :)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Ross has been dodgy in slips for a while now - should let someone else do the job.

With regards to the test team.

Brownlie must play at 6.

Bracewell and McKay must be the other seamers. No point in investing energy in Aldridge unless he had been a revelation in the ODIs.

Patel must be 12th man as there is no better qualified candidate.

Hats off to the selector for dispatching James-I-am-only-good-at-FC-Franklin out of the test squad.

If we can't win this test - It will be a major set back for NZ cricket. To take 20 wickets Martin and Vettori must bowl like demons. I don't see the other bowlers taking more than 7 wickets for the match between them. But I hope to be surprised. I think Bracewell has the tools - but I am just not sure he has the experience to ask questions with each ball. I am also not sure how well he will go with a ball that is 40 overs old. I still think he is our 3rd best seamer on tour though. (possibly 2nd best)

This is not make or break it for McKay - but a poor performance would seem him out for Australia. So he will be keen to perform. And with a bit of luck he could be a handful for the Zimbos tail.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, i would run with:

1.McCullum
2.Guptill
3.Williamson- 6
4.Taylor (c)
5.Ryder- 5
6.Brownlie
7.Young+
8.Vettori- 4
9.Bracewell- 3
10.Mckay- 2
11.Martin- 1

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
You've also gotta open with McKay, if he plays..and no chance Martin doesn't take the new ball. So Bracewell's destined for 1st change

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, I wouldn't be that surprised if Aldridge gets a start. Bracewell does have a fairly miserable FC record afterall.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's a tough one. Bracewell certainly made an impression in the ODI series though, wheras Aldridge was pretty meh. I'm not one for crossing formats with judgment, but I reckon that'll be the deciding factor with the selectors.